Rate the last book you read

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3321310 said:
you at least would agree it is a belief, not a fact
I'll stipulate counselor, provided you stipulate the same regarding your position.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
vta;3321448 said:
Personally, I think Lovecraft is much more poignant and true to the heart of our existence and true purpose as human beings on this earth. Dan Brown is merely an altar boy compared to the High Priest of factual evidence and lessons of an afterlife. :D

Pfft.

You're such a fearful zealot.:D

On a serious note, the works of Lovecraft and Clive Barker are the stuff of nightmares.

I find Dan Brown boring. I lost interest in The Davinci Code well before I could be offended by it.:p:

Reaction score
The Endurance was really good, about some guys getting stranded in Antartica for a year and trying to survive. True Story. I bought that book by Jeff Pearlman yesterday about the Cowboys in the 80/90's. Seems like a good read so far.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
IslamicImperialism.jpg

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I just started "The Lost Symbol" and am about 75 pages in. The writing is bad, but the story is entertaining so far.

The pacing is almost like a television show with frequent cuts to different characters and very short chapters. Reading the book is seriously like watching an episode of Lost, with each chapter's end acting as a commercial break after something intriguing is revealed. I don't remember if this is how the other Langdon book were written, but it's easy to see why the style is so appealing.

Dan Brown is no Cormac McCarthy, but I don't think he's trying to be.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I just finished reading 'Sleepless' by Charlie Huston.

Its a great concept for this type of book. Its about a new epedemic/disease that causes people to never sleep eventually leading to death. I almost did not finish this book. I started it a few weeks ago but had a hard time getting going because the writing was confusing and furstrating and the writing style was too disruptive to follow the story line. I picked up two other books and finished reading them while trying to get through the first half of this book. He swiched characters and narrators often that I really had a hard time figuring out who was narrating the book until i was almost half way through it.

In the end I'm really glad i stuck with it because the second half is much better/stronger and i really appricated the ending that i didn't see coming.

kimorah86

Reaction score
The last book i read was virgin bought and paid for but the best book i read was erric jerome dickeys drive me crazy at least it was one of the best that i read

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3321861 said:
Pfft.

You're such a fearful zealot.:D

On a serious note, the works of Lovecraft and Clive Barker are the stuff of nightmares.

I find Dan Brown boring. I lost interest in The Davinci Code well before I could be offended by it.:p:

I ran across a quote by Salman Rushdie regarding the DaVinci Code. "I, for one, am abjectly at odds with the execution of authors but having read The DaVinci Code, I am willing to revisit my position" or something like that. All I ever needed to know about it.

I just polished off "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. Excellent book and shows how one man, not a governmental agency or government in general, is winning the war against terrorists one child at a time. At first I thought it was too preach and the author seemed to be saying "woe, look at me who is poor and without material things while I build these schools" when in reality I was seeing a self-serving broke-*** mountain climber who in no way prepared himself for society outside of the that subset of culture.

Somewhere along the way though it clicks and you see one man who is doing more than we could possibly imagine at any one point in our lives. It's an amazing story and he's going to be a REAL reason why there aren't more attacks on America and it's allies from religious zealots.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I'm going to pick up the next book by him that chronicles his efforts in Afghanistan "Stones into Schools".

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Rushdie also said that "The DaVinci Code" was, "a novel so bad that it gives bad novels a bad name."

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3324886 said:
I ran across a quote by Salman Rushdie regarding the DaVinci Code. "I, for one, am abjectly at odds with the execution of authors but having read The DaVinci Code, I am willing to revisit my position" or something like that. All I ever needed to know about it.

masomenos85;3325189 said:
Rushdie also said that "The DaVinci Code" was, "a novel so bad that it gives bad novels a bad name."

From what I've gathered, the general consensus on Dan Brown from literary critics is that, although he can spin a very compelling narrative (as Maso observed), his writing is dreadful.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3321861 said:
Pfft.

dd you see the movie? Audrey Tautou is so hot.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
masomenos85;3325189 said:

Not sure if Rushdie is one to be making such a comment.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3325751 said:
dd you see the movie? Audrey Tautou is so hot.

Do people really sit through awful movies to look at a hot woman?
I'm not saying Da Vinci is awful, because I haven't seen it, but I hear this kind of qualifier all the time. Why sit through a pile of crap just to look someone you can probably see on the internet while bypassing the misery of a lame movie?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3325752 said:
Not sure if Rushdie is one to be making such a comment.

Hey, he risked his life for his writings. It sounds like a better qualifier for legitimacy than because you can look at hot women. :laugh2:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
vta;3325898 said:
Do people really sit through awful movies to look at a hot woman?
I'm not saying Da Vinci is awful, because I haven't seen it, but I hear this kind of qualifier all the time. Why sit through a pile of crap just to look someone you can probably see on the internet while bypassing the misery of a lame movie?
I'll admit to having rented DVDs for that reason, but only cause I can fast forward... :D

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
vta;3325899 said:
Hey, he risked his life for his writings. It sounds like a better qualifier for legitimacy than because you can look at hot women. :laugh2:

Quoted for truth. I caught the movie one night on TBS or something. Not bad, but for the public's love of the story I should have known it wasn't going to be anything to write home about.