Rate the last book you read

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Thanks, man. I'd really like a stand alone book, though. I'm not ready to commit to a series again.

Ah, OK. I usually only read series.

Joe Abercrombie has several stand alones set in the same universe as First Law. Best Served Cold is excellent.

If you like humor Discworld is a very lengthy series but each book reads like a standalone. I would recommend Mort.

Joe Hill has several good books out. Horns and NOS4A2.

bb721

Reaction score
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The true story of Lou Zamperini, a runner in the 1936 Olympics which took place in Berlin under the cloud of Hitler's **** reign. During WWII he is shot down over the Pacific and spends 40+ days adrift at sea. When his rescue finally occurs it is at the hands of the Japanese enemy who keep him in a POW camp for years under some of the most harsh conditions imaginable. An inspiring book in so many ways.

9/10

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Thanks, I've read Swan Song (one of my faves).

I'll check out the other.

What about Wilbur Smith, have you read any of his stuff? I loved his Courtney series set in eighteenth century Africa. They're quick reads and there isn't a need to read through the whole series really. When The Lion Feeds is the first book and a good one.

I'm reading American Gods right now and struggling with it so far. Hoping the second half is better than the first.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What about Wilbur Smith, have you read any of his stuff? I loved his Courtney series set in eighteenth century Africa. They're quick reads and there isn't a need to read through the whole series really. When The Lion Feeds is the first book and a good one.

I'm reading American Gods right now and struggling with it so far. Hoping the second half is better than the first.

I have not read Wilbur Smith and appreciate the suggestion. I read American Gods, though. I wasn't really impressed, but I do like Gaiman.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Finished Way of the kings and words of radiance by Brandon sanderson(its a 10 book epic) and it almost took me 1 month to finish them and they are exceptional and could be the next great fantasy series after game of thrones

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Finished Way of the kings and words of radiance by Brandon sanderson(its a 10 book epic) and it almost took me 1 month to finish them and they are exceptional and could be the next great fantasy series after game of thrones

Yep, I agree. It's fantastic. I can't wait for the next one and since it's Sanderson we won't have to wait 7 years like GRRM.

cml750

Reaction score
The last book I read was the Bible which I give a perfect 10 out of 10!!!!!

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Been awhile since this thread has been active so here goes. . Harry potter series. .. wow is all can say and I saw the movies first. . I'm a fantasy fan so yeah. . Loved it .. my favorites are as follows. . Goblet of fire, deathly Hallows, prisoner of Azkaban, half blood Prince, sorcerers stone, order of the Phoenix and chamber of secrets.. 9-10

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That looks good.

For anyone interested in reading a great book that mixes the Old West and sports, I would highly recommend "The Real All Americans," by Sally Jenkins.

Agreed.
Great read, and you deserve a "like".

Phoenix

Reaction score
iu

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Just finished reading the last of the Courtney Family series by Wilbur Smith. I love reading about early Africa and while there's a little too much romance in the series for me, they're still fantastic books.

I'm in book 3 (The Lords Of The North) of the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell right now and loving them. I've never been into the Norse/Viking genre but after watching Vikings on History I became interested and checked these out. Great series and great author so far.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..I'm in book 3 (The Lords Of The North) of the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell right now and loving them. I've never been into the Norse/Viking genre but after watching Vikings on History I became interested and checked these out. Great series and great author so far.

Yeah, those are pretty good reads. You can tell they borrowed stuff from them for at least the first season of Vikings. Ivar the Boneless even made an appearance or got a mention, IIRC.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning by Jonah Goldberg.

Ever wanted to know what they didn't teach you in school about history? Here it is. Book is well written and backed up by facts that will make your head spin. Witty and enlightening. And to see how good this book is just look at some of the scathing reviews the "Progressives" gave it (of which most probably didn't read it). Seems this tome has stabbed a nerve the "Progressives" don't want revealed: the TRUTH. ;)

10 out of 10

Waiting in the wings: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Methinks you are making a political statement through your endorsement of a perceived POV with which you agree, regardless of actual bias.

The "secret" is that propaganda lights fires.........in opposite ways.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
"same kind of different as me", by ron hall and denver moore.
true story of a homeless man and an art dealer and their friendship
that grew out of a homeless shelter in fort worth texas.

followed up by a book named " what difference do it make".

really good story.

Inspirational non-fiction from Cowtown.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Art of the Deal
Donald Trump

10 of 10

So many speak so uninformed about him.

He built an empire.
His name is a brand.

Phoenix

Reaction score
The Art of the Deal
Donald Trump

10 of 10

So many speak so uninformed about him.

He built an empire.
His name is a brand.

Opening up pretty soon, close to where I work, very near to the White House...

http://i46.***BLOCKED***/albums/f131/vsmith23/20150120_122218_zpshmyyrtmu.jpg

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Just finished The Clinton Tapes, by Taylor Branch. The author recounts his own impressions of the scene, conflicts, pressures, and dialogue of 79 recorded conversations with the president. Candid, colorful entertaining, and historic. Political leaning is not pertinent in the enlightenment from this expose'. 8/10