Rate the last movie you saw

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It was different for sure but the style fit the person. The movie personified Elton John, flamboyant masking deep sadness. Couple that with how the story is being told by a drugged-out John in rehab, explains a lot of the dream-like musical numbers.

I'd add that Taron Egerton was outstanding. He not only captured Elton, he did all his own singing, which one-upped Rami Malek's Freddie Mercury.

I definitely agree that Taron outdid Malek. Liked him ever since Kingsman. His presence and charisma was evident even if the Eggsy role isn't as demanding as the Elton John role.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Longest Day, watched that in honor of D Day and I must say what a crummy movie. Maybe it was just my mood but the shortcut flaws they took with that based on having every male star in Hollywood that was available hadn't registered before. I do believe Spielberg saw that as a young filmmaker and said "Oh no, oh hell no" and decided that was on the list to make a much better and more realistic film.

At one point the British are landing 3 gliders full of soldiers and all they did was loop one landing, it was exactly the same. The ridiculous part is the officer that tells the commanding officer that the last one crashed into the river and has heavy casualties. No they didn't, they landed in the same spot the other two landed in. If they had heavy casualties, it was because they didn't have their tray tables down and seats in the upright position.

But they did manage to work some magic for the teenage girls with Paul Anka, Tommy Sands, Fabian and Sal Mineo in parts.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Rocket Man: Really enjoyed the musical journey of this biopic. It didn't invoke the same emotion as Bohemian Rhapsody, but I can't really blame Elton for not dying before the film.

Brightburn: Loved the premise of this one and enjoyed the ending. It's one where I immediately envisioned what a sequel would bring.

John Wick 3: 3 Wick 3 Furious. Loads of what you expect and I had a blast. I don't think this arc required 4 movies, but here we are.

Us: Little bit of creepy, little bit of funny, lots odd in the story. Worth a watch, but just one, IMO.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SBN3gjl.jpg

6.00 of 10.00

Below is the Dark Phoenix Saga

x2HJCiR.gif

Nine issues that elevated the Uncanny X-Men title to the undisputed top tier of Marvel Comics' publications. An epic story seared into comic book legend.

I do not know what exactly I saw at the 4:40 pm matinee. I do know it was not worthy to be called Dark Phoenix.

The Good

• The Phoenix Force was well-conceptualized on screen
  • The New York City/train fight scenes were well done
  • Storm was allowed to display her powers somewhat more than normal and accurately (yay).
Everything else? You be the judge.

Believe it or not, the movie contains a link to the Shi'ar Empire. The only problem is that it was not the Shi'ar, which would have made MORE sense for the movie I think.

I believe the main cast were tired of the franchise run. Dialogue was pretty cliché lacking real edge at times. That was an easy check for Jessica Chastain also. I still feel Sophia Turner was a good choice for Jean Grey--even after seeing this final installment.

FWIW, it does beat out X-Men: The Last Stand in my opinion but not by much.

PS: Be sure to pay attention to the sky in the final scene before the end credits start to role or you might miss something completely irrelevant. I called it FOX's way of saying <expletive> to the whole franchise it rarely did a fair job of exploiting before losing rights to the property.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Jennifer Lawrence has one or two lines of dialogue that will likely not be received kindly by the anti 'Girl Power' faction. I would insert a laughing emoji but this movie has left me feeling why bother.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
SBN3gjl.jpg

6.00 of 10.00

x2HJCiR.gif

Nine issues that elevated the Uncanny X-Men title to the undisputed top tier of Marvel Comics' publications. An epic story seared into comic book legend.

I do not know what exactly I saw at the 4:40 pm matinee. I do know it was not worthy to be called Dark Phoenix.

The Good

• Storm was allowed to display her powers somewhat more than normal and accurately (yay).

Believe it or not, the movie contains a link to the Shi'ar Empire. The only problem is that it was not the Shi'ar, which would have made MORE sense for the movie I think.

I believe the main cast were tired of the franchise run. Dialogue was pretty cliché lacking real edge at times. That was an easy check for Jessica Chastain also. I still feel Sophia Turner was a good choice for Jean Grey--even after seeing this final installment.

PS: Be sure to pay attention to the sky in the final scene before the end credits start to role or you might miss something completely irrelevant. I called it FOX's way of saying <expletive> to the whole franchise it rarely did a fair job of exploiting before losing rights to the property.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Jennifer Lawrence has one or two lines of dialogue that will likely not be received kindly by the anti 'Girl Power' faction. I would insert a laughing emoji but this movie has left me feeling why bother.
The Chris Claremont/John Byrne era is what made the X-Men what they are today, an epic run with many great stories. Kinda like Frank Miller's run on Daredevil, great stories that really made the characters what they are today.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SBN3gjl.jpg

6.00 of 10.00

x2HJCiR.gif

The Good

I appreciate the effort you put into this review but I think you're being far too kind.

I'm just glad that this failed Fox era with the X-Men rights is over and I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel can do with them.

I just hope that it doesn't turn into "everything has an 'X' on it!" the way the comics did in the '90's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chris Claremont/John Byrne era is what made the X-Men what they are today, an epic run with many great stories. Kinda like Frank Miller's run on Daredevil, great stories that really made the characters what they are today.

They truly had a magnificent run, but I'll never forgive Claremont for Avengers Annual #10. Showed himself to be a total D-bag.

And did I hear right that he has an appearance in this train wreck? If so? It's payback when it tanks hard.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
They truly had a magnificent run, but I'll never forgive Claremont for Avengers Annual #10. Showed himself to be a total D-bag.

And did I hear right that he has an appearance in this train wreck? If so? It's payback when it tanks hard.
While that was in the middle of my heavy comic reading days, I had to go refresh my memory. That was a very good annual, most annuals were kinda 'meh', but that was a good one and it was the first appearance of Rouge.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While that was in the middle of my heavy comic reading days, I had to go refresh my memory. That was a very good annual, most annuals were kinda 'meh', but that was a good one and it was the first appearance of Rouge.

As an Avengers fan, I hated it. Claremont had them take a backseat to his X-Men in their own book and made the characters look bad because he was miffed about a prior storyline, and rather than dealing with the writers personally, he threw his tantrum in that book.

:thumbdown:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
As an Avengers fan, I hated it. Claremont had them take a backseat to his X-Men in their own book and made the characters look bad because he was miffed about a prior storyline, and rather than dealing with the writers personally, he threw his tantrum in that book.

:thumbdown:

I read the Avengers back then too, was a big fan of artist, George Perez, who did the art for most of the Avengers around that time. If anything Claremont helped salvage some of the questionable choices, made in the Avengers by Shooter, namely the manipulation, rape, birth and rapidly grown son falling in love with his mother, Ms Marvel. I think Claremont helped give the Avengers and Ms Marvel an out and used the X-Men to do it, which was probably a good thing.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Whispering Smith...an Alan Ladd western from the late 40s....pre-Shane....10/10.
excellent story....Alan Ladd was great as a RailRoad detective.
his westerns are always solid.
HIGHLY recommend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read the Avengers back then too, was a big fan of artist, George Perez, who did the art for most of the Avengers around that time. If anything Claremont helped salvage some of the questionable choices, made in the Avengers by Shooter, namely the manipulation, rape, birth and rapidly grown son falling in love with his mother, Ms Marvel. I think Claremont helped give the Avengers and Ms Marvel an out and used the X-Men to do it, which was probably a good thing.

I don't condone either story. Two wrongs don't make a right in my opinion.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dark Phoenix - I expected this to be garbage based on the trailers and reviews, but it was fairly enjoyable. There were some really bad moments and lines (almost like they did a 3rd grade line for an outline and just forgot to go back and refine it), but it was solid overall, and definitely better than Apocalypse.

paladin

Reaction score
Rebel without a cause 3/10 Loved Dean in Giant, hated this movie, he's constantly whinging.
Can someone who adores this movie please tell me what I'm obviously missing?

paladin

Reaction score
The Longest Day, watched that in honor of D Day and I must say what a crummy movie. Maybe it was just my mood but the shortcut flaws they took with that based on having every male star in Hollywood that was available hadn't registered before. I do believe Spielberg saw that as a young filmmaker and said "Oh no, oh hell no" and decided that was on the list to make a much better and more realistic film.

At one point the British are landing 3 gliders full of soldiers and all they did was loop one landing, it was exactly the same. The ridiculous part is the officer that tells the commanding officer that the last one crashed into the river and has heavy casualties. No they didn't, they landed in the same spot the other two landed in. If they had heavy casualties, it was because they didn't have their tray tables down and seats in the upright position.

But they did manage to work some magic for the teenage girls with Paul Anka, Tommy Sands, Fabian and Sal Mineo in parts.

It's one of my favs from childhood.
Liked Red Buttons hanging from his parachute & Richard Burton laying with a safety pin holding his leg together.
Was Sal Mineo the "I heard two clicks" dude?

The only part I disliked was when they told John Wayne that his ankle had a compound fracture
His response: "lace my boot tighter, I'll walk":
They don't make em like the Duke anymore, did they ever?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's one of my favs from childhood.
Liked Red Buttons hanging from his parachute & Richard Burton laying with a safety pin holding his leg together.
Was Sal Mineo the "I heard two clicks" dude?

The only part I disliked was when they told John Wayne that his ankle had a compound fracture
His response: "lace my boot tighter, I'll walk":
They don't make em like the Duke anymore, did they ever?
Yep, that was him.

That was the first movie with so many recognizable actors and in such small parts. The Duke was the lead and he wasn't in it all that much.