Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

JJHLH1

Reaction score
If the Cowboys can sign ET to an incentive-laden free agent deal I say go for it. He obviously wants to play for the league’s marquee franchise.

Since this may be Dak’s last year as a Cowboy we should make the most of it before entering QB purgatory again.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
never since coming aboard the new staff has said player over scheme
That concept was focused on the draft.

It didn't mean trade for players or pay big money to free agents that don't fit the scheme.

It's not that ET can't play in the Nolan scheme. It's that his value to the team is lower than it was when they were in the previous scheme.

MikeB80

Reaction score
It will be a fun game. Seattle? Who is on their defensive line?

they added a number of players...not superstars but Bruce Irvin coming back, benson mayowa...drafted two ends they are high on in Taylor and Robinson. Also drafted Jordyn Brooks to play along with Wagner and wright.

they love those tweener types on the edges with monsters inside. They now have that along with a terrific group at linebacker and adams and diggs at safety with dunbar and griffin at corner.

I am fan of pete carroll and think he is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. I think they are a much improved group.

Proof

Reaction score

It didn't mean trade for players or pay big money to free agents that don't fit the scheme.

It's not that ET can't play in the Nolan scheme. It's that his value to the team is lower than it was when they were in the previous scheme.

That’s a flawed interpretation and I don’t but it at all.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
they added a number of players...not superstars but Bruce Irvin coming back, benson mayowa...drafted two ends they are high on in Taylor and Robinson. Also drafted Jordyn Brooks to play along with Wagner and wright.

they love those tweener types on the edges with monsters inside. They now have that along with a terrific group at linebacker and adams and diggs at safety with dunbar and griffin at corner.

I am fan of pete carroll and think he is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. I think they are a much improved group.
You lost me with the former Cowboy Benson Maya. There linebackers are good and their secondary is solid. The Ravens are better.

MikeB80

Reaction score

He was able to play last year in Wink Marindale's scheme which I think is similar to what Nolan wants to do here. Martindale was Mike Nolan's Linebackers coach in Denver in 09.

probably could make a case that Thomas would know this defense Mike Nolan is putting in because of his year with Martindale in baltimore.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Was ET good last year? I recall him being an unwilling tackler vs Tennessee in the playoffs

stiletto

Reaction score
Earl is an extremely good player but I gotta wonder how he couldn't make it on the Ravens squad? That's a well coached team and a loaded playoff caliber team. If he is that much of a problem, do we really want him? What happened besides the fight? Has to be more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have a feeling he fell out of favor not for the punch, but because he shared some of the playbook on Instagram in a private Ravens’ all-22 video that showed the play he got mad on
Sharing that one play is not that much. Not enough to say hey lets cut him.
The play he showed, he made a error in coverage, the other player said something to him about it, he tried to explain it, the other player
said something in response, and like madden said .....BOOM! He punched the guy.

I think it was a combination of things, but mainly his not so good play and his attitude that made them want to move on.
The punch, depending on what it did to the other player, is reason enough if he hurt the other guy.

I think ET may have early CT mental issues, compounded by drug use, and is not all there mentally.

The cowboys should pass on him, but jerry and stevie like big name players, so they wont be able to resist, if he is a bargain lol.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You lost me with the former Cowboy Benson Maya. There linebackers are good and their secondary is solid. The Ravens are better.

yes the ravens are better for sure. I was just pointing out I think Dallas has the ability to make big plays on baltimore with all the blitzing they do.

Seattle will be a tough game offensively because carroll coaches defense and zone defense in that scheme so well.

Mayowa is a decent player and fits their tweener mold perfectly. He had 7 sacks in oakland last year and only judon had more than him on the baltimore defense.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How about this for perspective: Last year, we offered the #1 that would become CeeDee Lamb and would have had to pay him $10M+ per. Now we have CeeDee, will not have to give up any draft picks, and will likely sign him for far less.

Yet we still had people in this thread wanting to offer a draft pick (and take on his contract) when it was apparent the Ravens were going to release him.