Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

MikeB80

Reaction score
If we sign this guy I think we may instantly be propelled to a top 3 team contender in the nfc

this is the kind of thing that this kind of signing will lead to.

Then it will have the reverse effect on the team because it always does here. 24x7 coverage of how Dallas is the most talented team and should win the nfc is exactly what this organization should be looking to avoid.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I know the best football for most of these guys is past, but we may be hours away from having Earl Thomas, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Dontari Poe, Everson Griffen, and Aldon Smith all added to our defense (I know only Thomas is new, but you get what I mean).

No excuses this year, not with this roster, not with this coaching staff. It has been years since I've been this excited about a Cowboys team, even if they don't end up getting ET.

all that really means is that they have become an old team overnight. All those players will have to be replaced in the next 1 to 2 years.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
all that really means is that they have become an old team overnight. All those players will have to be replaced in the next 1 to 2 years.

Agreed, but it also means the Cowboys don't have to over-rely on the likes of Dorance Armstrong, Neville Gallimore, or other unproven players. The Cowboys can compete for a title now while giving the young guys time to develop.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I can’t imagine McCarthy wants to deal with another head case, especially one who’s been spinning out of control last two years. It’s not just about a fight. He has had several issues with teammates, missed meetings, was slow to pick up the defense, yadda yadda yadda.

when the team leadership group of players who run the locker room go to the coach and gm and want him off the team, I say roll with what you have.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is a rare and very different season because of the Covid.

Parcells makes a lot of sense about the late August concept. But every team has a shortened camp this year and this guy is a seasoned vet that plays on wherever the ball is. As instinctive a player as there is.

We could have him for 2-3 years and decide if we want to keep the other safeties or draft a safety to play beside ET.

ET can help tip the scale for this defense.
in a potential covid shortened nfl season, your correct. ET in short doses might be all we need this year. Its like the perfect storm if you will. I still worry about his antics.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I all but thought he would definitely end up in Dallas prior to last season.

By the small amounts I have read about him with Baltimore, he is definitely on the down side of his career.

That said, he is beyond a doubt an upgrade over Woods, although possibly a progress stopper to Wilson.

Not sure how I feel about this, but I will say that I have little doubt he is going to sign with whoever gives him the most guaranteed money...again.

Dont blame him. Final payday.

I just wouldnt assume he automatically lands here.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

MikeB80

Reaction score
Agreed, but it also means the Cowboys don't have to over-rely on the likes of Dorance Armstrong, Neville Gallimore, or other unproven players. The Cowboys can compete for a title now while giving the young guys time to develop.

again this type of mentality is what Garrett/McClay went out of there way to avoid..They wanted young players and they wanted them to play. All of a sudden the defense is a bunch of old guys with an unstable off the field situation and then other guys who have injury histories.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me. There really is nothing to me yet that says this defense is going to even be good let alone "compete for a title"

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I can’t imagine McCarthy wants to deal with another head case, especially one who’s been spinning out of control last two years. It’s not just about a fight. He has had several issues with teammates, missed meetings, was slow to pick up the defense, yadda yadda yadda.

when the team leadership group of players who run the locker room go to the coach and gm and want him off the team, I say roll with what you have.

With all those problems he was still one of the best safeties in football last year. A one year deal with some behavior-based clauses in it is a win-win for the Cowboys in my opinion.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Clinton Dix may not make the team if Earl is here.
I would hate that. SEE..what you said is what MOST on here fail to understand. If we take on ET, someone at the same position will have to be cut and it wont be Darian Thompson. Its likely to be a borderline starter like Dix or even Woods.This isn't Madden lol. Real life applies here.I rather have Dix on my team at this juncture, than ET. He's younger, HUNGRIER. He doesnt bring much baggage and drama.

Rayman70

Reaction score

bingo!!! Headcases like ET is what shortens coaches life spans lol...and gets them burned out and or FIRED. Right now we are still in the honeymoon phase with the entire staff, and MM. Lots of love and just good positive JUJU going on. But if we toss in ET...it could be a tight rope act and a short lived love affair.I would be cautious if I were JJ.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
again this type of mentality is what Garrett/McClay went out of there way to avoid..They wanted young players and they wanted them to play. All of a sudden the defense is a bunch of old guys with an unstable off the field situation and then other guys who have injury histories.

Seems like a recipe for disaster to me. There really is nothing to me yet that says this defense is going to even be good let alone "compete for a title"

I respect your opinion, but the Garrett method produced two playoff wins in nine and a half years. All of the aging players received short-term deals, so the future isn't being mortgaged. The Cowboys still have a relatively young core; and if they continue to draft well adding vets here and there won't hurt anything.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First year coach needs to rebuild the culture with guys who make a team, not talented but divisive players. Sure, talk to him, get his side, but don’t destroy the positive vibes and chemistry with a guy who thinks he doesn’t need to study or attend meetings. If signed, Dallas better protect themselves with an easy out.

erod

Reaction score
I've long wanted Earl Thomas here. He is exactly the player the Cowboys lack on defense.

I still do, but I'm getting increasingly concerned about his mental health. Lot of issues the past two years.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
As long as he and his brother don't hang out in hotels or the Omni in Frisco then get him!