Ravens put non exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson

USArmyVet

Reaction score
People focused on another team surrendering two 1st round draft picks need to keep in mind that Jackson can sign an offer sheet with another team but Baltimore has the right to match it if they want to match it.....so another team could offer something Baltimore deems affordable and just match the offer. While the relationship is strained between Baltimore and Jackson, and even further more if they match an offer sheet, the fact is Jackson could still end up back in Baltimore should a team not do some crazy BS like the Browns did with Watson.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The ravens haven't invested in the offense around him, especially the protection.
3 out of their 5 starters on the o-line where 1st round picks and a 4th starter (Powers) was homegrown talent who's not great but pretty solid.

Investment has been good they've just been kind of unlucky with their franchise LT (Ronnie Stanley) missing like 33 games over the last 3 seasons

doomsday9084

Reaction score
People focused on another team surrendering two 1st round draft picks need to keep in mind that Jackson can sign an offer sheet with another team but Baltimore has the right to match it if they want to match it.....so another team could offer something Baltimore deems affordable and just match the offer. While the relationship is strained between Baltimore and Jackson, and even further more if they match an offer sheet, the fact is Jackson could still end up back in Baltimore should a team not do some crazy BS like the Browns did with Watson.
To a large degree, I always thought it was silly for teams to NOT do this. Its not like teams have been getting cheap deals out of their QB's by using the exclusive tag.

The QB market correction might finally be starting.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
To a large degree, I always thought it was silly for teams to NOT do this. Its not like teams have been getting cheap deals out of their QB's by using the exclusive tag.

Giants finalizing a 4-year/$160M deal with Jones (same as Dak) so my guess is Jackson is going to want something like a 4-year/$200M deal with a lot of it guaranteed.

Jets were rumored to be looking at trading for Rodgers but they should shift their attention to Jackson and do not be surprised if they do a crazy Browns-like deal for Jackson (aka a poison pill type deal) which Baltimore refuses to match and in turn, the Jets give up the #13 pick this season and their 1st next season.

conner01

Reaction score
What did he turn down? He was looking for the same deal Watson got from the Browns.
They offered 250 mil which is more than Watson but he wanted the entire deal guaranteed and only the browns are that dumb
It takes away all your ability to restructure later on. 50 mil is a huge chunk of the cap. This year it’s 225 mil
The league has got to reign in or change something or QB salaries are gonna drive down other salaries and that’s not good for the league

John813

Reaction score
They offered 250 mil which is more than Watson but he wanted the entire deal guaranteed and only the browns are that dumb
It takes away all your ability to restructure later on
You can restructure guaranteed salary and guaranteed roster bonuses.
The main issue is if Lamar sucks/gets injured and is never the same player, they are stuck with him till the end of the contract.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is exactly what Dallas should've done with Dak. Let the market set the price. If you don't want to pay it take the first round picks and move on.

Said so at the time and nothing he's done since then has changed my opinion. But no, ol' Jerry was afraid someone would break the bank for him.
The talking heads don't like it. They want the players to get their money. Then after they do they spend their time criticizing them lol

NotForLong

Reaction score
This is exactly what Dallas should've done with Dak. Let the market set the price. If you don't want to pay it take the first round picks and move on.

Said so at the time and nothing he's done since then has changed my opinion. But no, ol' Jerry was afraid someone would break the bank for him.
Yup . . . And Since then Brady and Rodgers have been avaiable . . . Not to mention the 4 1st Rd picks we would have had. In those years to trade up for someone

NotForLong

Reaction score
People on here still refuse to admit that hurts is good...that's the issue...Philly is going to be the odds on favorite next year esp with 2 1st round picks
Hurts is good enough until He can't run no more . . . He won't last much longer

He forces teams to play Man and Crowd the Box . . . Another Shoulder Injury or Injury to His legs and its a wrap

NotForLong

Reaction score
I still don’t know why Mahomes signed that long term contract. I think the best players should get all the money.
Maybe He learned from Brady and decided Rings and His Legacy is more important

And there is a Direct Correlation . . . Dak would not budge on the Money nor the Length and Now this team is Limited . . . Whereas Mahomes just added another one

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Hurts is good enough until He can't run no more . . . He won't last much longer

He forces teams to play Man and Crowd the Box . . . Another Shoulder Injury or Injury to His legs and its a wrap
See Dak as an example to that formula.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Now we are going to get a good look to see if collusion is alive and well in the NFL among the Owners.
Lamar is an Athletic Dak . . . He will never Win anything and Now the Injuries are starting to pile up

You do not pay a Running QB who relies on their TE. . . . a Second Contract . . . Ever

NotForLong

Reaction score

People realize if you have a "Gimick" QB you better win on His Rookie Contract or Cut Him Loose

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Maybe He learned from Brady and decided Rings and His Legacy is more important

And there is a Direct Correlation . . . Dak would not budge on the Money nor the Length and Now this team is Limited . . . Whereas Mahomes just added another one
Dak had a good agent. The Cowboys should have played hard ball. I would have drafted Fields and traded Dak.