Ravens to make Big cuts

Murph80

Reaction score
The Baltimore Ravens are about to cut ties with Wil Demps, Chris McAlister and Jamal Lewis. Also the Ravens are getting feelers on which teams are interested in aquiring Ray Lewis.

Wil Demps would fit in nicely in our Defense. Ray Lewis would be an unbelievable site in a Cowboys Uniform. But I doubt that would ever happen.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I would love to have McAlsister.
I know we are set at corner , but I think this guy might be the best

rojan

Reaction score
I dont beleive this for a second......Are the in cap hell or something???

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
That team is in shambles.

Ray Lewis cant seem to stay healthy. And with a base salary of over 5M it seems like an easy out for them. But, I think it is around 9-10M to cut or release him at this point.

rojan, I believe the Ravens are in great cap shape. Somewhere around 12-15M under.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...n?coll=bal-sports-football&ctrack=1&cset=true

there's hope Ravens offense will bear Fassel's imprint

As the NFL continues to fill its head coaching vacancies, the Ravens should be breathing a sigh of relief because it appears Jim Fassel will remain the offensive coordinator for a second straight season.

Why should anyone be elated? Didn't the Ravens have one of the league's worst offenses last season? With Fassel's return, there is hope for improvement. During owner Steve Bisciotti's "Who's your Daddy?" speech to coach Brian Billick at the end of the season, he suggested that Billick had to turn more control of his offense over to Fassel.

After two preseason games in 2005, you could tell this was still Billick's offense, not Fassel's. But maybe now we'll see more of the Fassel influence. Fassel is well-received among the coaching staff and has a good knowledge of the game. But like previous coordinator Matt Cavanaugh, he had to compromise with Billick.

Maybe that won't happen as much anymore.

If Fassel had left and Rick Neuheisel become the coordinator, there would be no doubt this would be the same offense again. Neuheisel owes Billick because he gave him a job when no one else would.

Neuheisel wouldn't stand up to Billick. But with the new word coming down from the big boss, there's hope for a change.

Again.

Soon after the season ended, moving and storage trucks were outside the Granite home of Ravens running back Jamal Lewis. He can become an unrestricted free agent next month if the Ravens don't designate him the franchise player.

Lewis, in Atlanta, says he doesn't know what the future holds. He says the Ravens have not had contact with him or his agent since the season ended.

"I sold my house. I had to get out from under it because I'm not sure of my future," Lewis said. "I've had that house for six years, but there is no use keeping it if you aren't going to be there. If I end up back in Baltimore, I'll just rent an apartment for six months or less."

Lewis expects the Ravens to put the franchise tag on him, and he has no problems playing in Baltimore again as long as he is the featured runner.

"The players association thought that designation [franchise player] would be a good thing, that it could be used as leverage," Lewis said. "But I think I am more valuable than that. I don't want to come back to a situation where I carried the ball only 10 to 15 times a game like last year. I'm used to carrying it 20 to 25 times a game. I want that kind of workload. If the Ravens want to give me that, I'll be more than happy to play in Baltimore again, or anywhere else."

According to a league source, the Ravens have been sending out "feelers" to gauge the interest in Pro Bowl middle linebacker Ray Lewis. We're not talking heavy-duty stuff here, but the word was out.

Teams, though, might not want to trade for a player who is on the decline, is injury prone and has three years left on his contract worth $5.5 million next season and $6.5 million in 2007 and 2008.

In 2005, Lewis wasn't happy that the Ravens failed to restructure his contract, a move that would have given him significant upfront and guaranteed money. Because of this, Lewis became isolated and no longer wanted to be the face of the Ravens.

He has remained silent since leaving the Bears game on Oct. 23 with a season-ending groin and hamstring injury, but it's well-known around the Ravens' training complex that Lewis would prefer to play elsewhere next season.

The ideal situation for Lewis would be to play for a team that is close to breaking through but lacks a veteran leader that could put it over the top. It needs to be a good fit, much like tight end Shannon Sharpe was for the Ravens in 2000.

If Lewis remains here, it will be interesting to see how he interacts with his teammates after the Ravens sign safety Ed Reed to a lucrative, multi-year contract this offseason. The Ravens have become believers in Lewis' backup, Bart Scott, who also will become an unrestricted free agent.

Billick recently warned some team officials that cornerback Chris McAlister might not be with the team next season, despite having five years left on his contract worth about $36 million. McAlister received the first part ($10 million) of a signing bonus in October 2004, and another $7.5 million last spring.

He did not play in the last game against Cleveland, reportedly because of injuries, but a recurring problem off the field may have been a factor as well, according to a team source. General manager Ozzie Newsome apparently wants to keep McAlister because he is under contract, and the Ravens might as well get the most out of him.

But Billick is right: It's time McAlister had a change of scenery. He started off strong last season, but then looked slow, unprepared and uninterested. The Ravens have gone out of their way to both help and defend him through the years, and he hasn't played up to potential the past two seasons.

Regardless of how his salary affects the cap, it's time for a change.

The Ravens have basically told free-agent safety Will Demps that he will not be re-signed, but Demps had pretty much made up his mind not to return before an injury sidelined him for the season Nov. 27 against Cincinnati.

Apparently, Demps didn't think he got enough credit for aligning the secondary when Reed was out of the lineup with an ankle injury. He was right. The only members of the secondary who knew the coverages, including the secondary coaches, were Reed, McAlister and Demps. The most clueless of all was Deion "Part-Time" Sanders, the team's nickel back.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=NFL

Will Demps - DB - Ravens

Safety Will Demps won't be back with Baltimore next season.
Break up the Ravens! The unrestricted free agent won't get huge money, but he won't stay on the market long as an experienced starting free safety. Jan. 21 - 10:10 am et
Source: Baltimore Sun

Chris McAlister - DB - Ravens

The Ravens are reportedly considering letting go of Chris McAlister.
A "recurring problem off the field" is apparently a factor here. But the Ravens have given McAlister almost $20 million over the last two seasons and will take a cap hit to let him go. That problem would have to be pretty serious. Jan. 21 - 10:09 am et

Ray Lewis - LB - Ravens

The Ravens have reportedly sent out "feelers" to gauge interest in linebacker Ray Lewis.
The future Hall of Famer has a huge contract, is coming off surgery, and has become tired of being the face of the Ravens franchise. If he was willing to take a paycut, we'd think the would be easy to move. Jan. 21 - 10:06 am et

Jamal Lewis - RB - Ravens

Jamal Lewis sold his Baltimore house and moved out of the area once the season ended.
Well, that's a pretty clear sign he doesn't expect to be there long-term. The franchise tag is a greater possibility. "If I end up back in Baltimore, I'll just rent an apartment for six months or less," Lewis said. Jan. 21 - 10:04 am et

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Murph80 said:
The Baltimore Ravens are about to cut ties with Wil Demps, Chris McAlister and Jamal Lewis. Also the Ravens are getting feelers on which teams are interested in aquiring Ray Lewis.

Wil Demps would fit in nicely in our Defense. Ray Lewis would be an unbelievable site in a Cowboys Uniform. But I doubt that would ever happen.
Man if that happens there's a phone call I want to make.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I don't want Lewis at all.

First he has a injury history that doesn't excite me.

Second, I don't want that kind of guy on our team. The guy is scott free making millions while his buddy's that took the fall for him are in jail for stabbing a guy. Not the kind of element I want associated with the Cowboys. We have had enough of that crap.

I would love to see McCallister here though. He would be a huge upgrade to our secondary.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
leonargized said:
I would love to have McAlsister.
I know we are set at corner , but I think this guy might be the best

oh god -- here come the "get McAlister and move Henry to FS" posts.

Demps if he costs 1.5 mill a year or less. Otherwise none of those guys.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I don't want Lewis at all.

First he has a injury history that doesn't excite me.

Second, I don't want that kind of guy on our team. The guy is scott free making millions while his buddy's that took the fall for him are in jail for stabbing a guy. Not the kind of element I want associated with the Cowboys. We have had enough of that crap.

I would love to see McCallister here though. He would be a huge upgrade to our secondary.
I would like that too and he would make our secondary a kill zone for receivers, but we are heavy back there with talent. Unless you want a high price Corner like Henry to move to FS.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
abersonc said:
oh god -- here come the "get McAlister and move Henry to FS" posts.

Demps if he costs 1.5 mill a year or less. Otherwise none of those guys.

I think you need 3 good corners.
There are alot of teams running 3 WRs these days...
Then there is the injury factor.
TNew can punt return all the time....
I would love to have him..
I think demps is a bit overrated and would not want him..
Ray Lewis aging and I was never in love with what he brought to the table anyways.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like Demps and I am gonna stay away from his site so it stays that way, lol.

wileedog

Reaction score
leonargized said:
I think you need 3 good corners.
There are alot of teams running 3 WRs these days...
Then there is the injury factor.
TNew can punt return all the time....
I would love to have him..
I think demps is a bit overrated and would not want him..
Ray Lewis aging and I was never in love with what he brought to the table anyways.....

McCallister will get a bigger contract then Henry. That's a boatload of money dumped into the backfield, and you still don't have a true FS.