News: Ravens to propose revolutionary "spot and choose" overtime procedure

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ravens to propose revolutionary "spot and choose" overtime procedure - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-134213925-e1614835022241.jpg

The overtime rules are poised for a potential shakeup far more intriguing than a simple reversion to true sudden death. Per multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the Ravens will be proposing a pair of overtime procedures premised on the concept of "spot and choose."

It works like this: One team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime, and the other team chooses whether to play offense or defense.

If the one team picks, for example, the offense’s own 20 yard line, the opponent would then choose whether to play offense from their own 20 or to play defense, with the other team having the ball on its own 20. This would minimize greatly the impact of the coin toss; under this proposal, the coin toss would be used only to give the team that wins the toss the right to pick the spot of the ball (along with the end zone to be defended) or to choose offense or defense.

Read Full Story

aria

Reaction score
Not a fan, gets a little to whacked for me, save it for the XFL or Canadian league.

I’m a fan of the college football OT except maybe make the starting point the 50 yard line for each team and make the 2 point conversion attempt mandatory the entire time. It would take a bit longer but would be the fairest way to do it IMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Random comment.

I'm against change to the NFL for the most part.

I hate the idea of a 17 game season with only 1 team getting a bye.

There is also a lot of other changes I don't care for.

But..

I thought I wouldn't like the long extra points but I like how the extra point is no longer a free point.

J-man

Reaction score
So I think this is kind of dumb. Because you can manipulate the game in to your favor based on your strengths or opponents weaknesses.
Exp. Lets say I have a great defense and a slightly less than average offense. Your team has an ave. defense and a average offense. I win the toss and pick the 5 yd line as the "spot". Makes it mush easier for my team to score and also gives my D a condensed field to defend.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the college system at all. Bush league in my opinion. Teams play 60 minutes where offense AND defense matters, then suddenly only offense matters. Having a tie after 10 minutes of OT is fine, too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would keep it as is. It involves all 3 phases of special teams, offense and defense. Hell I have seen OT end because of a kickoff return for a TD but have also seen special team make plays inside the 20 forcing the offense to go the longer distance. Football involves 3 phases of the game and in OT all 3 phases should be used

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Each team gets the ball once from the same spot, for example, their own 35. The team with the most points at the end wins. If neither team scores it is a tie, or whoever drove it farther wins. If both teams score the same the home team wins (or it is a tie--I really don't care).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally, and I know this won't be popular, I think we should scrap overtime completely. If a game is tied after 4 quarters then it's a tie.

and I take the exact opposite, I think a game should never end in a tie. Make it the same rules as we have in post season where a game can't end in a tie.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
and I take the exact opposite, I think a game should never end in a tie. Make it the same rules as we have in post season where a game can't end in a tie.
Maybe it's because i'm English but I have no problem with a game ending in a tie. It's not like it would happen often anyway. Not many games per season go to overtime, maybe 1 every couple of weeks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maybe it's because i'm English but I have no problem with a game ending in a tie. It's not like it would happen often anyway. Not many games per season go to overtime, maybe 1 every couple of weeks.

Other professional sports (In US) can't end in a tie. MLB keeps playing until someone wins. You are right not many games go into OT and very few maybe 1 or 2 within a season ends in a tie, however I would rather see someone in the end win and as a football fan I don't mind seeing them extend the play when it is even more exciting and every snap is even more critical.

BermyStar

Reaction score
We won't recognize this game in 20 years time. As an 80s baby it's already a stark contrast to what I grew up loving. I can't imagine how those of you that have been fans since the 60s feel. I'll keep watching till they take the pads and helmets off and play the game based completely on computer algorithms lol