RB More Important than WR

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
A great RB with a good OL and a FAST WR is the worst nightmare for a defense. If Dallas had a speedster who demands double coverage on deep routes, it would make a world of difference. Otherwise, everyone cheats down toward the line too much.

cern

Reaction score
Has this ridiculous idea that went around like wildfire that RB's are no longer important finally been squashed completely? Seriously, it was dumb to begin w/, but man did people repeat that crapp.

Looking past NE, who is the exception due to a top 5 all time QB, no one is going all the way w/o a running game. The one year ATL made it, you saw the emergence of one of the best RB tandems in the NFL w/ Davonte and Telvin. Philly had Ajayi, Blount, and Clement. SEA w/ Marshawn, BALT w/ Rice, DEN w/ CJ. A workhorse RB is much more important than a #1 WR. And now you have Fournette and EZ and Gurley and some others leading their teams a lot further than any WR does.

Seriously, can we call this idea completely bugsquushed now, or are there still a few stubborn hanger-on's?
I don't think it was the idea they weren't important, but rather their careers were short due the injuries at the position. Most rb's careers are 3-5 years so teams stopped using high draft picks on them. Zeke seems to have regenerated a rebirth of rb's again.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has this ridiculous idea that went around like wildfire that RB's are no longer important finally been squashed completely? Seriously, it was dumb to begin w/, but man did people repeat that crapp.

Looking past NE, who is the exception due to a top 5 all time QB, no one is going all the way w/o a running game. The one year ATL made it, you saw the emergence of one of the best RB tandems in the NFL w/ Davonte and Telvin. Philly had Ajayi, Blount, and Clement. SEA w/ Marshawn, BALT w/ Rice, DEN w/ CJ. A workhorse RB is much more important than a #1 WR. And now you have Fournette and EZ and Gurley and some others leading their teams a lot further than any WR does.

Seriously, can we call this idea completely bugsquushed now, or are there still a few stubborn hanger-on's?

You missed the argument. Nobody ever said RBs were not important. There is a just a bumper crop of really good ones and its been a buyers market for a long time. Go look at the franchise tag numbers. Only TE's, Safeties, and Kickers are lower on the pay scale. Its got nothing to do with importance. It has everything to do with the ease of filling the position.

Contrast that with the scarcity of a shut down cb or 10 sack DE. RB's are a dime a dozen and you can plug them in as rookies without issue.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Depends on the type of offense and personnel. I am a run first guy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rb's typically can produce faster in the NFL than Wr's but also have shorter careers. They have become expendable. A 3 down back is still highly prized.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have the very best at HB no matter as 8 man in the box will stop it!
If you dont have a passing game to counter the above you wont be scoring many points....
QB and WR are 1 and 2 when it comes to importance of position without good or great ones there you get a replay of our Denver game of last year...Hike Hike

kskboys

Reaction score
The Falcons did it with a 3rd and 4th round pick. PHI, a street FA and a guy they got from another roster for a 4th. SEA got Lynch in his 5th year as a FA, IIRC. CJ isn't a back who really supports your point. I find it hard to have any discussion about recent Superbowl success that looks past NE, of all teams. Elliott, Fournette, Gurley...get back to me when one of their teams wins it if we're talking impact.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure QB play--and the corollary of stopping the other guy's QB--is still the important differentiator. It's the passing game effectiveness argument we've had forever.

So, no, I'm not interested in spending huge resources on RBs. It's been shown over and over and over that that's a position that can be filled effectively lower in the top-100 or in FA, or with a platoon of players. It's a waste to overdraft one in the top 5 if you have other holes on your team. And teams drafting in the top 5 have other holes on their team.
Ah, but no one said you should spend huge resources on the position!!

And of course the QB position is the most important, I actually thought that was blatantly obvious.

And it also depends on your draft needs, where you're picking, lots of factors. However, a special RB such as EZ is a big plus in super bowl run.

kskboys

Reaction score
Have the very best at HB no matter as 8 man in the box will stop it!
If you dont have a passing game to counter the above you wont be scoring many points....
QB and WR are 1 and 2 when it comes to importance of position without good or great ones there you get a replay of our Denver game of last year...Hike Hike
Bzzzzzt, wrong answer.

QB, OL, then the rest.

kskboys

Reaction score
You missed the argument. Nobody ever said RBs were not important. There is a just a bumper crop of really good ones and its been a buyers market for a long time. Go look at the franchise tag numbers. Only TE's, Safeties, and Kickers are lower on the pay scale. Its got nothing to do with importance. It has everything to do with the ease of filling the position.

Contrast that with the scarcity of a shut down cb or 10 sack DE. RB's are a dime a dozen and you can plug them in as rookies without issue.
No, you missed it!!!! They did, over and over and over and over.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys most successful seasons always had elite RB's........Dorsett, Emmett, and now Zeke (hopefully)
We also made it to Super Bowl with Preston Pearson, Calvin Hill and Duane Thomas but had a QB named Staubach and great defenses.

What we’re missing in all of this is the QB is the most important position. Now, if you don’t have an elite QB then maybe a top RB is next best thing and an elite WR not as critical if you can’t throw the ball.

But SB teams this era have either an elite QB or a great defense that causes havoc on opposing elite QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
We also made it to Super Bowl with Preston Pearson, Calvin Hill and Duane Thomas but had a QB named Staubach.

What we’re missing in all of this is the QB is the most important position. Now, if you don’t have an elite QB then maybe a top RB is next best thing and an elite WR not as critical if you can’t throw the ball.
QB is by far the most critical, no one's missing that. What's next? OL, of course. Then?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ve covered all of this before. You must have a QB, protect him and pressure their QB.

Runnng the ball is critical but the bigger argument is do you need an elite RB or can it be done by committee or less than elite RB if you have the other 3 critical areas covered.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It appears without an elite QB or great defense our strategy is to dominate with running game which will somehow get by without a better defense and QB?

It will fare ok against average teams but not teams with greater defenses and QB’s.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve covered all of this before. You must have a QB, protect him and pressure their QB.

Runnng the ball is critical but the bigger argument is do you need an elite RB or can it be done by committee or less than elite RB if you have the other 3 critical areas covered.
Disagree. I think the important question is whether you have a RB who can get the tough yards, one who can still get 2-3 yds w/ no room to run.

You're the one who brought up the QB in a non-QB thread!!!!! Guess you been talkin' 'bout Dak n Romo too much, hey?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. I think the important question is whether you have a RB who can get the tough yards, one who can still get 2-3 yds w/ no room to run.

You're the one who brought up the QB in a non-QB thread!!!!! Guess you been talkin' 'bout Dak n Romo too much, hey?
There was other posters here who have mentioned it. I initially was responding to a poster who listed only our greatest RB’s that led us to a SB without mentioning the less than great ones who did which I felt was a narrative that warranted being challenged.

I agree RB is more important than WR but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Remember I was one who argued we should have chosen Murray over Dez.

kskboys

Reaction score
There was other posters here who have mentioned it. I initially was responding to a poster who listed only our greatest RB’s that led us to a SB without mentioning the less than great ones who did which I felt was a narrative that warranted being challenged.

I agree RB is more important than WR but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Remember I was one who argued we should have chosen Murray over Dez.
Duane Thomas was an elite RB!!!!!!!!
Hill was also, but couldn't stay healthy.

Wasn't Garrison one of the starters for a super bowl?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Duane Thomas was an elite RB!!!!!!!!
Hill was also, but couldn't stay healthy.

Wasn't Garrison one of the starters for a super bowl?
As was Newhouse who I believe without looking it up led us in rushing to SB 10 with less than a 1,000 yards. But none would be considered career elite RB’s except maybe in Cowboy circles.They certainly aren’t in the same conversation of Emmitt or Dorsett.