RB More Important than WR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Falcons did it with a 3rd and 4th round pick. PHI, a street FA and a guy they got from another roster for a 4th. SEA got Lynch in his 5th year as a FA, IIRC. CJ isn't a back who really supports your point. I find it hard to have any discussion about recent Superbowl success that looks past NE, of all teams. Elliott, Fournette, Gurley...get back to me when one of their teams wins it if we're talking impact.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure QB play--and the corollary of stopping the other guy's QB--is still the important differentiator. It's the passing game effectiveness argument we've had forever.

So, no, I'm not interested in spending huge resources on RBs. It's been shown over and over and over that that's a position that can be filled effectively lower in the top-100 or in FA, or with a platoon of players. It's a waste to overdraft one in the top 5 if you have other holes on your team. And teams drafting in the top 5 have other holes on their team.
Yep... but RB became a priority because it punctuated our only strength on the team. The OL which we realized we needed more than Randle to fill in for Murray who was a 3rd round pick .

We didn’t need to use a 5th overall pick to shore up our running game. As you said we had other weaknesses like on defense that pick could have been used and still drafted a RB in 2nd or 3rd. Zeke was a luxory pick. No doubt a great talent but will it be enough without the other critical parts?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Only way rb is more important is if we get one that is good at receiving which Hines doesn’t seem to do. Maybe he can though

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Has this ridiculous idea that went around like wildfire that RB's are no longer important finally been squashed completely? Seriously, it was dumb to begin w/, but man did people repeat that crapp.

Looking past NE, who is the exception due to a top 5 all time QB, no one is going all the way w/o a running game. The one year ATL made it, you saw the emergence of one of the best RB tandems in the NFL w/ Davonte and Telvin. Philly had Ajayi, Blount, and Clement. SEA w/ Marshawn, BALT w/ Rice, DEN w/ CJ. A workhorse RB is much more important than a #1 WR. And now you have Fournette and EZ and Gurley and some others leading their teams a lot further than any WR does.

Seriously, can we call this idea completely bugsquushed now, or are there still a few stubborn hanger-on's?
Please, stop. Before you hurt yourself, bloke.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah, but no one said you should spend huge resources on the position!!

And of course the QB position is the most important, I actually thought that was blatantly obvious.

And it also depends on your draft needs, where you're picking, lots of factors. However, a special RB such as EZ is a big plus in super bowl run.

I’d still be happier taking players at harder positions to fill with the higher picks, but Elliott is a great all-around player.

At least he rarely fumbles and he’s good in pass protection.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The only criticism I saw for drafting Zeke was by Cowboy fans who were still convinced that any back could run behind our OL. There were Cowboy fans who thought McFadden was great and wanted to stay with him.
I know this is true so does the board

waving monkey

Reaction score
I’d still be happier taking players at harder positions to fill with the higher picks, but Elliott is a great all-around player.

At least he rarely fumbles and he’s good in pass protection.
damning by faint praise

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Zeke is great I'm old school and it will still work We need to run him down every team that we play's throat . And he can catch also He is the main reason we were 13-3 his rookie season more so than Dak He is the most important player we have You folks will learn to love him we have a special running back again Zeke is a bad a

Last edited:

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Zeke is great I'm old school and it will still work We need to run him down every team that we play's throat . And he can catch also He is the main reason we were 13-3 his rookie season more so than Dak He is the most important player we have You folks will learn to love him we have a special running back again Zeke is a bad a
He is great but you can’t run it down people throat when your defense is giving up points. But to the clueless fans, let’s go ahead and take Calvin Ridley! smh.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you missed it!!!! They did, over and over and over and over.

I've heard many say you don't pay the position, but I've never read anyone say that rb is not important as in it doesn't matter whether you have a good one or not.