RC Hobby

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Is anyone in here into any of the RC hobby stuff?

I have 8 planes

1. T-28
2. Panther F9 (converted 4S)
3. Mig 17 90mm
4. UMX Mig 15
5. UMX Turbo Timber
6. Evo Timber with floats
7. Bison XT STOL
8. 8S Zues

Planes I am Adding
1. F-16 80mm
2. Cougar F9 80mm

1. Helicopter Blade230 s that I just converted to a full Fuselage Airwolf Replica.

1. Armma 8S 1/5 scale
2. Losi Super Baja Rey 1/6 scale

Anyone else have a degenerative RC habit? It could be worse, I could be addicted to hookers and blo.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, Russian RC planes are garbage. The best American designs are the F-22 and A-10.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to host pics to another site and post that here, right? Seems like a lot of work.
lol. Work would be searching and locating the pics. Most images found on the internet or by googling have filenames containing or ending with extensions .jpg, .png, .gif, etc. Posting images here is easy and takes about five/ten seconds max. Pay attention @Tabascocat ;) . My process uses a computer or an iPhone.

Computer
  • Find the image
  • Right-click the image
  • Choose Copy Image Link from the menu that opens
  • Back here on CowboysZone, decide either to use the super easy Insert Image tool, shown above the Reply message box, or directly inside the Reply box:
  1. type [ IMG] before the image link. Remove any blank spaces between the brackets []
  2. paste the image link
  3. type [ /IMG] after the image link

iPhone
  • Find the image
  • Using a finger, press down on the image
  • Choose Open image in new tab from the menu that opens
  • tap inside the new tab's address bar
  • tap the Copy option
  • Back here on CowboysZone, decide either to use the super easy Insert Image tool, shown above the Reply message box, or directly inside the Reply box:
    1. type [ IMG] before the image link. Remove any blank spaces between the brackets []
    2. paste the image link
    3. type [ /IMG] after the image link

You are done if the image link has an accepted filename extension. The image will not appear if the image link does not contain an accepted filename extension. If it is the latter, you will end up with either an error message or posting the text of the image link. Here is an example using the image link https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_792452-T2/images/I/31oHshjSAQL._QL92_SH45_SS200_.jpg (notice the .jpg at the end of the filename) with the Insert Image tool:

31oHshjSAQL._QL92_SH45_SS200_.jpg

Here is the same image link using the [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags:

31oHshjSAQL._QL92_SH45_SS200_.jpg

Same result. And without needing to upload anything to a hosting site

The steps for resizing and/or cropping images are basic as well but a bit more involved, which is what I was referring to more in the other thread, @Tabascocat ! :cool:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
IMO, Russian RC planes are garbage. The best American designs are the F-22 and A-10.

The MiG is my favorite design of a Jet. However the AreoFoam M17 90mm feels under powered and if you don’t use flaps in takeoff it doesn’t create enough lift. I’ve learned this on 3 of my flights. It’s not my favorite flying jet.

The funnest plane in my fleet is the Panther F9 on 4s that bird is fun!

I am hoping to maiden my Blade Wolf tomorrow as I’m finishing up the last things on the replica today.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I used to race RC cars as a kid in the early 80’s, mostly off road stuff. There was a circuit that we would make on Saturdays in and around Houston. Some of these tracks were insane, destroyed many RC’s in my hay days :laugh:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I used to race RC cars as a kid in the early 80’s, mostly off road stuff. There was a circuit that we would make on Saturdays in and around Houston. Some of these tracks were insane, destroyed many RC’s in my hay days :laugh:

The hobby is so different today. It’s way more enjoyable with all the technology they have. The amount of run times, the size and strength of these trucks/cars is insane! The Losi and its scale parts are ridiculous.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I tried uploading a photo from my library on my iPhone. Didn’t work too complicated. This is the only site that makes it difficult to add images.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The hobby is so different today. It’s way more enjoyable with all the technology they have. The amount of run times, the size and strength of these trucks/cars is insane! The Losi and its scale parts are ridiculous.
When you fly an RC plane, do you have to honor the same aerodynamics that regular plane goes through to keep from losing control? Or are RCs small enough that they can compensate at that scale?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
When you fly an RC plane, do you have to honor the same aerodynamics that regular plane goes through to keep from losing control? Or are RCs small enough that they can compensate at that scale?
Aerodynamics are pretty close. You can still experience a wing stall with an RC plane. Every RC plane has different characteristics, birds with shorter wingspan can typically wing stall easier. I’m into scaling flying mostly, but I will do some stunts with my planes, but I use a program that allows me to flip a switch and the bird will safely settle back in unless I flipped the switch too late.

What I’ve been told is it’s easier to transition from an RC pilot to a real pilot than it is to be a real pilot to an RC pilot. The reasoning is when you’re in a cockpit you feel what’s happening to the aircraft, whereas an RC pilot visually sees it happening. It takes time for your sense to catch up. Now, I’m sure it’s different for everyone, but that’s what I’ve been told by pilots. (My uncle being one of them).

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

The only thing I’ve seen manufacturers struggle with when it comes to scale planes is when they try and use “slats”. With most RC planes that use functional slats they’re tied to a servo arm/flap and when activated they can make the lift very turbulent and it can cause your plane to lose lift. How this needs to be correct is on a cork screw movement that allows the slat to move in a less turbulent fashion like on a real plane.

While there are major advancements in RC aviation there is still some refinement that needs to happen. One my Bison I disconnected the slats to give the plane better stability and lift.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Also center of gravity is just as important in an RC plane as it is in a real plane. If your CG is off disaster is around the corner.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The only thing I’ve seen manufacturers struggle with when it comes to scale planes is when they try and use “slats”. With most RC planes that use functional slats they’re tied to a servo arm/flap and when activated they can make the lift very turbulent and it can cause your plane to lose lift. How this needs to be correct is on a cork screw movement that allows the slat to move in a less turbulent fashion like on a real plane.

While there are major advancements in RC aviation there is still some refinement that needs to happen. One my Bison I disconnected the slats to give the plane better stability and lift.
Thanks. Ask because I'm genuinely interested. I guess drone hobby and RC hobby are still considered separate? Any good combos between the two?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Thanks. Ask because I'm genuinely interested. I guess drone hobby and RC hobby are still considered separate? Any good combos between the two?

I don’t dabble in the drone stuff much. It’s cool though. You can do FPV flying with RC planes like you can do with drones. It’s just 2 entirely different types of flying. Landing and takeoff takes time and skill to master, and you have to take into account that all RC planes land differently, so need to come in with power, while some can float down nicely.

I am a fan of RC planes. I did just get my first helicopter and I haven’t flown it yet as I’ve been finishing this Airwolf conversion. But I gotta say I’m really excited about it.

If you’re looking for a good inbetween I’d suggest the blade 230 s. It has a stability feature that makes it easier to fly has a beginner. Also if you buy the flight software that heli is in the list of rc birds.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/230-s-rtf-basic/BLH12001.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-sim-software-only-boxed-version/RFL1205.html

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don’t dabble in the drone stuff much. It’s cool though. You can do FPV flying with RC planes like you can do with drones. It’s just 2 entirely different types of flying. Landing and takeoff takes time and skill to master, and you have to take into account that all RC planes land differently, so need to come in with power, while some can float down nicely.

I am a fan of RC planes. I did just get my first helicopter and I haven’t flown it yet as I’ve been finishing this Airwolf conversion. But I gotta say I’m really excited about it.

If you’re looking for a good inbetween I’d suggest the blade 230 s. It has a stability feature that makes it easier to fly has a beginner. Also if you buy the flight software that heli is in the list of rc birds.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/230-s-rtf-basic/BLH12001.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-sim-software-only-boxed-version/RFL1205.html
Thanks, wife definitely going to kill me now. More toys.

Was enjoying looking at those controller upgrades for the helicopter.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

I have a spektrum NX8 it powers all of my planes and Heli. I think it holds up to 250 different models. Just an amazing controller, and it’s not even their best one! Also did suggest getting something with at least 8 channels. A lot of the planes have , Retracts, Flaps, Lights, Airbrakes, reverse thrust etc… You need multiple channels for those plus the Safe program.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

My partner is pretty cool about it. I have planes all over the house and she just thinks it’s cool and supports my interests. Plus it’s my house lol.