Re-signing Randy Gregory will be yet another FA mistake by the Front-Office

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Then you're letting him walk. I'm ok with that, but there are a lot of teams with a ton of cap and GMs are infatuated with the splash plays Gregory gives you every other game. He'll get at least 12M, probably 15.

That range seems likely. The highest bidder usually overestimates the player's value. We'll see Gregory and a lot of other players walk for more money than we'd be happy paying them.

Though Gregory may have cost himself a lot of money by his bonehead plays against SF. That wasn't just a bad game, that was a conspicuously stupid game, in the most important game of the year. That should turn off a lot of teams. Should turn us off too.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

Robert Quinn was the keeper at Edge not 94. Dude had 18 sacks playing for Yogi Bear

MajesticRey

Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? He's clean and has been. Finally given the chance to play he made big plays this year. I expect more next year now that he has been through a full season for the first time.
Shows that he could be a liability to miss games. I hope he stays clean, but it’s just something to worry about.

I still don’t think we should keep Gregory if he asks for a big payday. He’s a good pass rusher, but not worth more than 5-6m/year. He’s already in his 30s.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's very simple...

Re-sign Gregory if he accepts between $12 - $14 mil/year. That's still much cheaper than the $27 mil Cowboys would have to keep D-Law. Both players are the same type of limited players. Keep the cheaper one, which is Gregory. Team can't afford to have both gone.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

I'd resign him in the 8-12mil range. He is actually very solid against the run and can rush the passer at an above average level. Anything more than that and I would absolutely let him walk.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I noticed Vonn Miller’s sole responsibility was Brady the other day . Speaking of edge and the passer. # 11 is good to have all over the place but 40 on the Rams could be the best example of use of Parsons. So Gregory leaves Gallup Connor Williams LVE etc etc it’s churning the roster time at the “ Star “

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It's very simple...

Re-sign Gregory if he accepts between $12 - $14 mil/year. That's still much cheaper than the $27 mil Cowboys would have to keep D-Law. Both players are the same type of limited players. Keep the cheaper one, which is Gregory. Team can't afford to have both gone.
I think they’re going to keep D-Law and move on from Gregory. Gregory is a talent but sweet Jesus one of the most undisciplined players I’ve ever seen. Every single time I see him in on a play I hold my breath. I wonder what stupid thing is he going to do draw a penalty.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That range seems likely. The highest bidder usually overestimates the player's value. We'll see Gregory and a lot of other players walk for more money than we'd be happy paying them.

Though Gregory may have cost himself a lot of money by his bonehead plays against SF. That wasn't just a bad game, that was a conspicuously stupid game, in the most important game of the year. That should turn off a lot of teams. Should turn us off too.
Yep you can't fix stupid maybe time to cut bait with him

ESisback

Reaction score
I agree that we shouldn’t overpay, but who fills the void? Who do offenses fear? Basham? Armstrong? Don’t think so.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His market is not going to be all that great. Many teams will not even consider him because of his mental issues and extremely poor availability.

If someone wants to pay him 8 figure AAV then you move on and take more compensatories. I love it when other teams overpay for our players.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
The Cowboys currently have 21 free agents that they need to make decisions on, not real sure if they will be able to match the offers [$10mil - $15mil] that RG may get.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think they’re going to keep D-Law and move on from Gregory. Gregory is a talent but sweet Jesus one of the most undisciplined players I’ve ever seen. Every single time I see him in on a play I hold my breath. I wonder what stupid thing is he going to do draw a penalty.

We save $19m by cutting DLaw and use that saving on Gregory + money towards Gallup/Pollard.

If your point is that you want Micah on the edge you'll still need at least 2 LB's (and even then Neal is questionable and Cox's recuperation)....where's that money coming from as you'll need to sign a FA (most of the 1st round draft chat is about a DT or O/LIne).

Whichever you look at it .....and I like him as a player....DLaw is just not worth the $27m (2022) and $29m (2023) contract (especially with our CAP situation).

DuncanIso

Reaction score