Reaching for Draft picks and excuses

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The CB pick saved our draft.

Outstanding pick.

Going in, we needed LT, C, RB, and LB.

I’m hopeful we pickup a fast RB today.

Another LB would be great too.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
Huh? The first 3 guys we drafted were rated higher than when they were drafted. The Notre Dame kid fit Zimmer’s linebacker type and he was top 10 linebacker. You guys find anything to complain about I bet you had a long negative post set up for if we drafted Jonathan Brooks.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
My main gripe is with Liufau.

You had Payton Wilson, Cedric Gray, Jeremiah Trotter all on the board. All 3 can step in and start day one. He also projected more of a MLB and we already have Damone Clark on the roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing to show we could have got them later in the draft. I think they got some very good value with the 1st 3 picks. Not sure about the 4th pick, but from media opinions, he was a pretty good pick.

Just because fans on here want to complain, as most do not like anything the team does. That does not mean they reached.
They could not wait until the 5th round to take a LB, as there was probably a huge drop off at LB. And they should not trade into the 4th to wait to see if he dropped.
Then they lose draft capital as they still need a RB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You had Payton Wilson, Cedric Gray, Jeremiah Trotter all on the board. All 3 can step in and start day one. He also projected more of a MLB and we already have Damone Clark on the roster.
Not sure how each players style is. But maybe they are looking at physical style play, which Liufau is. Another post was made in another thread, all the picks so far brings that punch you in the mouth physicality the team so desperately needs.

Jipper

Reaction score
Not sure how each players style is. But maybe they are looking at physical style play, which Liufau is. Another post was made in another thread, all the picks so far brings that punch you in the mouth physicality the team so desperately needs.
I saw this comment to and find it intriguing....I read all of the same on Liufau and it sounds likely they could have traded back and still gotten him, but there are zero guarantees of that happening.

I used to get more upset on perceived reaches but now I guess I just figure there's something in him that made it necessary to go early....if this draft is all about nastiness and he's a perfect fit at LB then good deal....none of us have any clue compared to the scouts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I saw this comment to and find it intriguing....I read all of the same on Liufau and it sounds likely they could have traded back and still gotten him, but there are zero guarantees of that happening.

I used to get more upset on perceived reaches but now I guess I just figure there's something in him that made it necessary to go early....if this draft is all about nastiness and he's a perfect fit at LB then good deal....none of us have any clue compared to the scouts
It sucks when it doesn’t work out….but just have to trust their board…..

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Liufau is a good prospect, but yes they reached for him more like a round too high. I don't believe he would have lasted until the 5th because he has very good traits. They do this though too much in the third, but this is more Osa type over draft than a Nashon Wright one.

cowboybish

Reaction score
There is nothing to show we could have got them later in the draft. I think they got some very good value with the 1st 3 picks. Not sure about the 4th pick, but from media opinions, he was a pretty good pick.

Just because fans on here want to complain, as most do not like anything the team does. That does not mean they reached.
They could not wait until the 5th round to take a LB, as there was probably a huge drop off at LB. And they should not trade into the 4th to wait to see if he dropped.
Then they lose draft capital as they still need a RB.
You gotta love these people that think we could’ve got players later than where we picked them at. Like they have some kind of a crystal ball. It takes a player where you can take the player if you want that player - period.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Huh? The first 3 guys we drafted were rated higher than when they were drafted. The Notre Dame kid fit Zimmer’s linebacker type and he was top 10 linebacker. You guys find anything to complain about I bet you had a long negative post set up for if we drafted Jonathan Brooks.
Spot on.... some of our fanbase are looking at drafting for (immediate) need. We showed last year how badly that went, this (well to me), looks like a draft that's focusing on 2025.
.....which with the holes, I deem as a positive strategy.

Carson

Reaction score
One thing I think the Cowboys have earned over the years is trust in their scouting and drafting due to McClay and his management.
I agree in the first, late day 3 and UDFAs. But they have whiffed quite a bit on day 2. Thats the stress. They seem content with depth guys over guys who will challenge the starters.

Like I said earlier, I could be wrong. But these are great drafts when you sign a few starting free agents. When you solely depend on the draft to fill RB, LT, C, DE, DT, LB it’s very tough.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree in the first, late day 3 and UDFAs. But they have whiffed quite a bit on day 2. Thats the stress. They seem content with depth guys over guys who will challenge the starters.

Like I said earlier, I could be wrong. But these are great drafts when you sign a few starting free agents. When you solely depend on the draft to fill RB, LT, C, DE, DT, LB it’s very tough.
Note to fanbase, this isn't about 2024, didn't we get the message when we didn't even 'Like Our Own' in free agency.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Yes they would just like if we had drafted Wilson , drafting injured players what they would had said.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Payton Wilson was off their board for medical. And Damone Clark hasnt played well enough to just give him the starting job anyway. Hopefully next year Liufau and Overshown are the two LBs next year.

Last edited: