Reaching for Draft picks and excuses

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Why so much rueing over an RB? Zeke was drafted #4 and done in four years. A solid RB is easier to find in later rounds than the corresponding LB.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Why so much rueing over an RB? Zeke was drafted #4 and done in four years. A solid RB is easier to find in later rounds than the corresponding LB.
People keep saying that but the Cowboys never do anything about it. They should have addressed it last year. Well at least we have Zeke back.

JustChip

Reaction score
Of course he will say that when we don’t replace most of the players who left. Now we are expecting the backups to all step up, Great plan Jerruh
Actually, there’s nothing wrong with that plan. The “backups” weren’t drafted to be career backups. Had they resigned their own or a free agent to big $, the younger guys would continue to be backups. Not so much because that’s their ceiling, but because this team awards playing time based on contract costs. Plus, every starter was a backup before becoming a starter.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Actually, there’s nothing wrong with that plan. The “backups” weren’t drafted to be career backups. Had they resigned their own or a free agent to big $, the younger guys would continue to be backups. Not so much because that’s their ceiling, but because this team awards playing time based on contract costs. Plus, every starter was a backup before becoming a starter.
Except over half of last years draftees weren’t even on the active list on game days

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
Another one who will complain no matter what it seems.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys didn't need a Guard. Needed RB, C, WR, DT and LB.

Already have lots of Guards on the team.

Cowboys are drafting for luxury while avoiding positions of need. That is my beef.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is nothing to show we could have got them later in the draft. I think they got some very good value with the 1st 3 picks. Not sure about the 4th pick, but from media opinions, he was a pretty good pick.

Just because fans on here want to complain, as most do not like anything the team does. That does not mean they reached.
They could not wait until the 5th round to take a LB, as there was probably a huge drop off at LB. And they should not trade into the 4th to wait to see if he dropped.
Then they lose draft capital as they still need a RB.
This has been a good draft.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It’s nauseating watching the Cowboys war room. So smug despite years of post season failure. It’s so hard remaining a Cowboys fan but it’s so entrenched in my being I can’t shake it lol

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Cowboys didn't need a Guard. Needed RB, C, WR, DT and LB.

Already have lots of Guards on the team.

Cowboys are drafting for luxury while avoiding positions of need. That is my beef.
Can Beebe play C? I mean we could have had JPJ or Frazier in the first but I do like Guyton. Not sure he’s the plug and play the two C’s are though.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can Beebe play C? I mean we could have had JPJ or Frazier in the first but I do like Guyton. Not sure he’s the plug and play the two C’s are though.
Guyton has a lot of potential, but he's raw. If coached properly and hard, he has the potential to become a very good starting O-Tackle for years to come.

Beebe is a BEAST as a Guard. Only problem is he is stout/wide, has short arms and has never played Center (where the Cowboys are rumored want to turn him into). If successful, Beebe would be nice to have as a position flex Guard/Center, but being able to play the Center position will have its challenges for him. Interesting to see soon.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Guyton has a lot of potential, but he's raw. If coached properly and hard, he has the potential to become a very good starting O-Tackle for years to come.

Beebe is a BEAST as a Guard. Only problem is he is stout/wide, has short arms and has never played Center (where the Cowboys are rumored want to turn him into). If successful, Beebe would be nice to have as a position flex Guard/Center, but being able to play the Center position will have its challenges for him. Interesting to see soon.
Suppose it depends on the individual.

I wouldn’t have thought Connor Williams could play center but look what happened when he went to Miami.

If Hoffman plays well this season, Beebe could be a Martin replacement eventually.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
This FO does not have their hands on the pulse of league. Thats why we sit back with crossed fingers and hope the draft falls our way.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not interested in horn -tooting.. but the results. That's what is gonna be the tale tell.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Suppose it depends on the individual.

I wouldn’t have thought Connor Williams could play center but look what happened when he went to Miami.

If Hoffman plays well this season, Beebe could be a Martin replacement eventually.
Yes, all true. I understand what the Cowboys are thinking and hoping works out. It's better than not trying. Let's hope Hoffman at Center, Beebe at Guard and Guyton at Tackle become good players.

My apologies to everyone for my rants yesterday and last night at the Cowboys draft room. I would have approached things differently, but after cooling down and rethinking their draft decisions, I now see what the Cowboys are trying to accomplish to help fix/improve this Oline.

coult44

Reaction score
I didn’t hear this from ANYONE