Reaching for Draft picks and excuses

Sandyf

Reaction score
Love it when fans say reaches or they should have drafted this or that guy because they were rated higher. Reach for who, Rated higher by who? The media, the sports analysis's, some guy personal opinion, Kiper, etc, geez maybe every team should get rid of their scouting department because those guys know the team needs better and how to rate the players, really?

None of us know how any team rated the players, none of us. The Cowboy board wasn't shown to anyone. The only clues we had is who they visited with and the 30 visits. For all we know Guyton was the OT they had rated in their top five who might be available when they picked or Kneeland being a top DE or Beebe being a better fit at OC with what was left on the board or the LB being exactly what Zimmer wants in his defense. Just because a fan thinks a guy is better or the Kipers of this world believe someone is better doesn't mean they fit the defense or the offense of what the coaches want or need.

Will the Cowboys make mistakes with some picks, absolutely and you know what the other 31 teams will do the same and many times at where they were drafted way higher than where we picked. Six QBs were drafted in the top 12 and the betting is that 4 of them will fail and become no more than a traveling backup or out of the league in 5 years. So for all the negative, all the moaning and groaning, we are just one of 32 teams fans that will be doing just that, I mean what if we had just sign Kirk Cousins and gave him a 100 million guaranteed money then drafted a QB at #8. Just imagine the screaming we Cowboys fan would have done.

Will what the Cowboys have done and will do this last day of the draft make a difference? Sure do hope so. The negative guys will still always be negatives and the positive guys still positive but regardless the Cowboys have their pecking order and they are going to stick with it. And like it or not they most likely are going to extend Dak, Lamb and Parson.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like the first 3 picks. Liufua is the one pick I would change. I would have taken the RB, LLoyd there, and if not LLoyd then Trotter. I don't understand this pick - unless they think he can add 10 lbs effectively. Maybe he was a Zimmer pick.

They have so many holes it is impossible to fill them all with one draft. I suspect they have their eyes on a few RBs in the 6th and 7th round.

Also, remember what Jerry said. They are expecting some younger players on their roster to step up this year. They think they may have what they need already on the roster so the urgency to draft certain guys is not there for them. I disagree but they are doing the picking, not me.

Ken

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
When we took Kneeland....he was #1 on Dane Brugler's best available and Beebe was #2.

We got both.

Marist pick could have been a reach but it was then or never for him as we didn't have a 4th and they love him. You can see he is a Zimmer type LB....

MikeT22

Reaction score
Also, remember what Jerry said. They are expecting some younger players on their roster to step up this year. They think they may have what they need already on the roster so the urgency to draft certain guys is not there for them. I disagree but they are doing the picking, not me.
Of course he will say that when we don’t replace most of the players who left. Now we are expecting the backups to all step up, Great plan Jerruh

Kwyn

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
First three picks were really solid. You found one pick you disagree with and frame it as a narrative for the entire draft but it’s cheap and disingenuous. Guess that makes it on brand for the Zone.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
First three picks are all in the top 40 of Dan Bruglers big board. Liufau was a bit of a reach for sure, but without a 4th round pick I can understand why they reached for a player they liked.
This is how I see it. It was a good draft, FO did more things right than wrong. Doesn't compensate for doing nothing in FA but let's give credit where it's due.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
First three picks are all in the top 40 of Dan Bruglers big board. Liufau was a bit of a reach for sure, but without a 4th round pick I can understand why they reached for a player they liked.
I actually don't understand that. That's sad that we had no one left on our own board with a 3rd round rating so went straight to the players we expected to be there in the 4th and later

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I do not know what you guys are talking about ........ did you not see all the handshaking, fist-bumping, and hugging going on in the War room?

I mean we had to have a great draft with how happy and exited all those first class football guys were getting.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
yawn already. Stop making it like you are some draft expert. You dont know **** about the draft, just like nobody else does. If it was so simple, no 1st round players would ever be busts, and no 5th or 6th round players would ever be stars.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Love it when fans say reaches or they should have drafted this or that guy because they were rated higher. Reach for who, Rated higher by who? The media, the sports analysis's, some guy personal opinion, Kiper, etc, geez maybe every team should get rid of their scouting department because those guys know the team needs better and how to rate the players, really?

None of us know how any team rated the players, none of us. The Cowboy board wasn't shown to anyone. The only clues we had is who they visited with and the 30 visits. For all we know Guyton was the OT they had rated in their top five who might be available when they picked or Kneeland being a top DE or Beebe being a better fit at OC with what was left on the board or the LB being exactly what Zimmer wants in his defense. Just because a fan thinks a guy is better or the Kipers of this world believe someone is better doesn't mean they fit the defense or the offense of what the coaches want or need.

Will the Cowboys make mistakes with some picks, absolutely and you know what the other 31 teams will do the same and many times at where they were drafted way higher than where we picked. Six QBs were drafted in the top 12 and the betting is that 4 of them will fail and become no more than a traveling backup or out of the league in 5 years. So for all the negative, all the moaning and groaning, we are just one of 32 teams fans that will be doing just that, I mean what if we had just sign Kirk Cousins and gave him a 100 million guaranteed money then drafted a QB at #8. Just imagine the screaming we Cowboys fan would have done.

Will what the Cowboys have done and will do this last day of the draft make a difference? Sure do hope so. The negative guys will still always be negatives and the positive guys still positive but regardless the Cowboys have their pecking order and they are going to stick with it. And like it or not they most likely are going to extend Dak, Lamb and Parson.
Nicely done. Well said.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I do not know what you guys are talking about ........ did you not see hall the handshaking, fist-bumping, and hugging going on in the War room?

I mean we had to have a great draft with how happy and exited all those first class football guys were getting.
and just like Jerry said... every team has a board, and when they get a guy they liked they have a reason to be happy. But since you got it figured out, you should have done a real time draft and then shown us your picks so we can see all those 6th rd pro bowlers youd have gotten.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
and just like Jerry said... every team has a board, and when they get a guy they liked they have a reason to be happy. But since you got it figured out, you should have done a real time draft and then shown us your picks so we can see all those 6th rd pro bowlers youd have gotten.
And here comes Jerry's hand puppet to defend Daddy