Reactionary phase over. this pick makes a lot of sense

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The thing I'm more concerned about is the OL coach, by all appearances he was an epic fail last season...

Philbin was given ribeye and made hamburger out of it. Everyone healthy come the end of the season, with McGovern being a great role player, and Steele a decent starter. The oline was strong and deep. And he did squat with it.
Nate said so as well. Said that Philbin was holding the oline back.
He was.

Haimerej

Reaction score
They were not middle of the pack considering his size. He moves like a smaller player.

I saw something saying he did 25 reps on the bench at his pro day. Connor Williams did 26 at the combine. I haven't followed all the pre-draft stuff so had no idea who was targeted. I keep seeing all these posts about this guy's strength and athleticism but it just seems taken for granted. He struggled against all the better teams- 7 holding calls in three games against ranked opponents.

I'm in the highly skeptical camp considering his need for coaching and what Philbin has done so far.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he should be fine, we don't play better teams unless we're playing outside the division or playoffs.

ESisback

Reaction score
The only positive if he plays guard is he won’t get pushed back in the run game like Williams. He’ll probably hold as much though.

Williams held because he was often overpowered. Smith won’t be. You can’t coach someone to be stronger, but you CAN coach technique.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm sold on the left tackle idea. The draft descriptions I've read said he is mauler with bad technique, which sounds more like what you see at guard or right tackle, not left tackle.
I don’t know if he will be a OT on either side but we will see. But I think he could be a monster at guard with his size, strength and agility. He’s also only 21 and came from a smaller program so he’s likely to get even stronger
I wouldn’t even play him at tackle in this canmp
I’d stick him at guard and he’d play every pre season game. If you want to try him at tackle wait till next year. Let him learn guard this whole camp