1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Reactionary phase over. this pick makes a lot of sense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

14,829 Messages
    16,649 Likes Received
    No RBs have been drafted yet, just think if on day 2 that we get a KW3 how fast this running game improves.

2. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

648 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Of the twenty-four (24) top first-round draft picks the Cowboys have had during the Jones era (and prior to this year) sixteen (16) ended up as Pro-Bowlers. Since 2010, we've snagged eight (8) Pro-Bowlers (+ Cee Dee Lamb) with eleven (11) picks. Morris Claiborne and Taco Charlton were the only picks that didn't pan out. I suspect that record would stand respectably against that of any other team in the League.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Runwildboys likes this.
  3. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,978 Messages
    12,706 Likes Received
    sorry, I am not sold on him....he is physically gifted. but lacks technique. penalties...16 in 12 games are a huge concern. he has to prove he can do it in the NFL and that's the only way....I will eat crow gladly, by the shovel full when that happens

4. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,978 Messages
    12,706 Likes Received
    for cowboys sake. I hope so

5. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

24,834 Messages
    25,081 Likes Received
    Probably would.
    OL was our biggest glaring need however.
    I just dont know why we cant use free agency to our advantage.
    Most other teams do.

6. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    14,254 Likes Received
    Dude is really athletic for his size maybe even in the Tyron mold.. though not quite as chiseled. And at just barely 21 still growing and filling out. I think he's got Larry Allen strength potential because he's already strong as hell. Sure he comes risk.. but all picks do. This pick at least shows that after a few years of forgetting where their bread is buttered the Cowboys have come to their senses. The Cowboys have never been any good without a really good offensive line. This could be a step back in that direction.

NotForLong likes this.
  7. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins This is a house of learned doctors

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    11,277 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received
    Last night I threw out some curse words and really questioned a lot of life choices, but after sleeping on it I am going to have a little faith in the kid. I really hated that pick at the spot they took him because I felt that they could have had him in the second round, kind of like how I felt about Travis Frederick when they drafted him in the first round. If Dallas had traded back and nabbed him in the early second I would have had zero problems with it.

Fast forward to today. Per Dane Brugler's comments, along with a few others, Smith was going to get drafted in the first round even if Dallas passed on him, so if they felt he was their guy then they were probably right to pull the trigger. If he shows out like Fredbead then I can admit that I overreacted.

Runwildboys likes this.
  8. DaBoys12

DaBoys12 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    295 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I like the kid. He’s raw, but man he has all the tools, plays violent, strong, smart. He held in space, bad foot work, arms outside the body at times. That stuff is fixable, and he won’t be in space much at LG, so penalty’s should go down just by the move from tackle to guard.
    The problem I have is with the coaching, I don’t know if Philbin can coach him up? If someone like Bill Callahan was coaching the line, I’d feel a lot better about the kid reaching his potential.

NotForLong likes this.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

34,108 Messages
    51,213 Likes Received
    The difference is, he's a really good athlete. He can learn.

It's trying to teach sloppy, uncoordinated, unathletic massive dudes to play offensive line that's really difficult. Like Pat McQuistan or Solomon Page.

DaBoys12 likes this.
  10. Jarntt

Jarntt Well-Known Member

1,833 Messages
    2,139 Likes Received
    I agree the pick makes sense now that we know the idea is to play LG, but I'm not so sure he's a natural LT that can just automatically slide over when needed. Also, one of the issues that was a red flag to some was the leg issues that no one seems to be mentioning. Hopefully the doctors feel it is a non-issue. I also don't necessarily think technique is as easy to teach as you say. My biggest problem was I thought there were better players on the board and free agents options are still available so I didn't see the need to force the position. I do agree on McClay. I hope he was behind the pick. I guess we have to say T Smith 73 and T Smith 77

11. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

18,489 Messages
    19,028 Likes Received
    Now that the dust has settled, I'm more okay with it. I think he's a LG through and through.

If Johnson goes gangbusters, I'll be a bit irritated, but it is what it is.

12. Ranched

Ranched "We Are Penn State"

34,365 Messages
    83,459 Likes Received
    The Boys have 8 picks left~
    Give Us:
    2 wide receivers
    2 linebackers
    1 edge rusher
    1 corner
    1 guard
    1 safety
    That fair?!

13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

28,621 Messages
    21,156 Likes Received
    Every pick makes a lot of sense........if they work out.

14. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Confused about stuff

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    41,106 Messages
    76,950 Likes Received
    So it's almost like they know what they're doing?

15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

28,621 Messages
    21,156 Likes Received
    A penalty machine from a non power 5 conference. What could go wrong?

Miller likes this.
  16. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    14,254 Likes Received
    And a partridge in a pear treeeeee...

17. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

15,755 Messages
    20,259 Likes Received
    Yeah there's that.....lol.

This is really boom or bust, but the safer guards were gone and they put themselves in a spot to have to draft a starter at 24.....likely figuring Green OR Zion would be there.

The part that bugs me is they always have to say.....whoever we take, that was the plan all along and he was ranked higher than the selection number.

I do NOT buy that in this case. I just don't.

If so, when they rank players, do they not take downside into account?

Jerry said they had Sean Lee ranked top 15 overall. Yeah sure, if the injuries weren't a factor.....and what happened?

Im going to choose to focus on his upside for the long run, but 2022 could be ugly.....and if he misses any time in camp at all its redshirt city.

18. Coogiguy03

Coogiguy03 Well-Known Member

1,962 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received

Yes the waiting period is getting old, if you're drafted high we need you now not this waiting stuff

19. Diverdown

Diverdown New Member

7 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I dont know about that, but we'll see. My impression of Williams holding issue was due to the fact of him being overwhelmed physically. Don't think that will happen with this guy.

20. Trajan

Trajan Well-Known Member

1,706 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    I have no doubt that the refs will know this and watch him like a hawk, just like Williams.