CFZ Realistic Outlook for this year's Free Agency

Iowa_cowboy

Reaction score
To finish our OL discussion, we need another starting caliber Guard. Now if this player isn't going to start day 1, due to Tyron returning, we can almost exclude them from using another 1st rd pick. Anywhere after that, taking an interior lineman can be in play. We know the team should of moved on from Tyron, but that isn't the decision they are making. Figure at some point he gets hurt, Tyler shifts to LT and this draftee starts next to him at Guard.

There is a good article on the draft zone from Bob Strum breaking down the top interior lineman. It's a good read to look at some of the top prospects.
I think there are lots of good options in the 2nd/3rd round to find a good interior linemen this year. Cody Mauch, from ND St., would be an example of a guy available in that range.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They are bringing him back and is expected to start. Based on that using a top pick, makes little sense if they are going to be sitting on the bench.
Again dont care what they do and you dont know what they are going to do. Even if they do bring him back he will get injured anyway. Draft picks are for years, not for one year. Taking a first round guard or tackle should be a priority regardless of what they do with Tyron.

So who is going to play guard while Tyron plays RT until Steele comes back? Then who is going to play guard once Steele is back and Tyron gets hurt?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Again dont care what they do and you dont know what they are going to do. Even if they do bring him back he will get injured anyway. Draft picks are for years, not for one year. Taking a first round guard or tackle should be a priority regardless of what they do with Tyron.

So who is going to play guard while Tyron plays RT until Steele comes back? Then who is going to play guard once Steele is back and Tyron gets hurt?
The team came out and said Steele was ahead of schedule and should be ready for camp. Let's see that to believe that, but if true, then Tyron is expected to return to LT. Yes, a 1st rd pick is an investment, but this team never sits their 1st rd pick and wastes a season with a rookie contract. Unless you are getting rid of one of your projected starters, is highly unlikely based on their history.

Here are the only two scenarios that could make sense, but aren't realistic:

-Draft a G/T and have him start the season as the swing Tackle. Spot start him when a injury occurs.
-Draft the Center we discussed, if Tyron goes down shift him to Guard and reinsert Biaz to Center. As we said, not going to draft a Center when our starter was just named to the probowl.

Best case scenario they draft a Guard on day 2 who has starting ability.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think there are lots of good options in the 2nd/3rd round to find a good interior linemen this year. Cody Mauch, from ND St., would be an example of a guy available in that range.
There will be a few interior guys available, but the talent will drop off quickly. I would draft and stash Vorhees from USC who just tore his acl. He was going to be a late day 3 guy, take him in the 5th and get him ready to start in yr 2.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I believe they are extremely high on the player, remember they let Collins walk cause of him. He is a priority resign in my opinion.
Could just be that our coaches knew more about Collins than the rest of the league.
Collins tanked. Going by PFF he went from a high quality starting RT to a meh quality backup RT.
There was talk when Collins went out for 2019 that it was a potentially career ending injury with a bone on bone hip socket.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There will be a few interior guys available, but the talent will drop off quickly. I would draft and stash Vorhees from USC who just tore his acl. He was going to be a late day 3 guy, take him in the 5th and get him ready to start in yr 2.
He's got Jerry Pick written all over him.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Cowboys contingency plan for Tyron Smith at LT is Tyler Smith.

But they will probably do the same thing if they don’t draft another o-lineman they like in the 1st or 2nd and pick up a vet in FA that can swing at tackle or between tackle and guard.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could just be that our coaches knew more about Collins than the rest of the league.
Collins tanked. Going by PFF he went from a high quality starting RT to a meh quality backup RT.
There was talk when Collins went out for 2019 that it was a potentially career ending injury with a bone on bone hip socket.
Think the biggest thing was is poor work ethic, where Steele was the complete opposite.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We did get Clark at a big discounted price.
I wasn't saying I'm against drafting injured players. Theoretically, I kinda like it.
Especially if you get a guy who is gonna IR all year and *not* get a year vested in the league.
Jerry, being an owner, can take the long view on picks, and work for long term value, while the staff on teams generally will be sure to have a shorter term weighting on picks.
Theoretically, that's an advantage for us.

It's a tough strategy to evaluate. Looked like genius in 2018 with Jaylon, LVE, and Gregory. And then, not.

You have to realize the sample size is going to be low, and likely not high enough to get enough *data* to establish whether the strategy works or not. But with those guys, we were giving up prime picks that *already* were most likely to get us quality starters.

With Clark, a pick that late is always a shot in the dark. Sometimes you hit, usually you don't.

Clark is a nice hit, though.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wasn't saying I'm against drafting injured players. Theoretically, I kinda like it.
Especially if you get a guy who is gonna IR all year and *not* get a year vested in the league.
Jerry, being an owner, can take the long view on picks, and work for long term value, while the staff on teams generally will be sure to have a shorter term weighting on picks.
Theoretically, that's an advantage for us.

It's a tough strategy to evaluate. Looked like genius in 2018 with Jaylon, LVE, and Gregory. And then, not.

You have to realize the sample size is going to be low, and likely not high enough to get enough *data* to establish whether the strategy works or not. But with those guys, we were giving up prime picks that *already* were most likely to get us quality starters.

With Clark, a pick that late is always a shot in the dark. Sometimes you hit, usually you don't.

Clark is a nice hit, though.
Don't like using a top pick on such a player, but a comp pick on day 3, is certainly worth the gamble. The safety from Boise State is another draft and stash candidate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Think the biggest thing was is poor work ethic, where Steele was the complete opposite.
Collins' work ethic probably dropped even further after he left here. Cleveland is where you go to get your last contract before retiring.

Carson

Reaction score
Don't like using a top pick on such a player, but a comp pick on day 3, is certainly worth the gamble. The safety from Boise State is another draft and stash candidate.
JL Skinner! Would love to get him

phildadon86

Reaction score
Where does he advocate for using a first round pick for WR? But he's spot on with his analysis. Jerry and Stephen have hinted they want more at WR. I absolutely think they will try to sign OBJ or trade for a WR (whether they can actually pull that off, likely not, LOL).

The irony here is you are ranting at the OP about WRs but if anyone should pipe down on the topic, it's you. You battled with people back here last offseason when you kept claiming they were fine at WR when others said they were short. Turns out they were right, you were wrong.
They were willing to give up a second mid season for Cooks. Hopkins is much better than cooks. For the same price.