Realistic trade ideas

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Were not getting a 1st round pick for Dlaw or Cooper with their contracts
We definitely would.
Neither has much base GTD money going forward and would be ripe for restructure once traded.
DAL would eat a lot of cap hit at trade that another team doesn't.
You may can get a 1st and 4th for DLaw if it's a team drafting low.

If Amari went to BAL they become Super bowl favorites.
SEA with DLaw? sheesh.

They are legit top 10 guys at their position and those positions could move the needle.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why because we don't need him. Cooper, Cee Dee and Cedrick Wilson are just fine, we need a defensive starter, not Gallup
My dude, Gallup essentially deilvered one of the 2 wins we have on the season.
Trade that for a R2? Naw, I'm good on that idea.
Have to go back 7 drafts to find a DAL round 2 as good as Gallup.

Trevon Diggs
Trysten Hill
Connor Williams
Chido
Jaylon
Randy Gregory
DLaw....

Sydla

Reaction score
Were not getting a 1st round pick for Dlaw or Cooper with their contracts

Lawrence no. The cap hit we'd have to take I think makes any trade of Lawrence now pretty stupid. I haven't looked at his contract details via trade but I think it would be tough to move him and then justify the cap hit.

Cooper? Possibly. His contract isn't that cap devastating.

Sydla

Reaction score
Kavanaugh has it right in another thread. You likely aren't going to move any big names. One, contracts may make it tough. Two, you can't purge talent just because you are pissed at your results. Don't throw away players for middling returns.

But if you can move guys like Lewis or Aldon Smith and Everson Griffen and get picks, even lower round ones, you should do it. Especially after we get pantsed by Philly this weekend.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Lawrence no. The cap hit we'd have to take I think makes any trade of Lawrence now pretty stupid. I haven't looked at his contract details via trade but I think it would be tough to move him and then justify the cap hit.

Depending on how Amari's contract is structured, I'd probably pull the trigger. If you look at the team's salary cap situation next year, it's BAD. There is absolutely no way the Cowboys can be competitive next year without finding ways to offload expensive contracts. I'd also be looking for ways to get out of the contracts for DLaw, Zeke, and Jaylon ASAP. If not next year then the year after. You can't win by paying those amounts for those performances. You just can't.

Is there anyone on this board who can break down the differences in cap hits for trades versus cuts? Is it totally dependent on the language of the individual contract, or is there a general rule of thumb we can follow?

Big_D

Reaction score
I have no doubt Jerry’s going to do something stupid before the trade deadline. Prove how completely inept he really is!

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I have no doubt Jerry’s going to do something stupid before the trade deadline. Prove how completely inept he really is!

The only trade that would make any sense for this year is for a starting caliber QB, and that still doesn't make any sense. But of course Jerry is mentally ill and can't help himself, so... stay tuned.

Sydla

Reaction score
Depending on how Amari's contract is structured, I'd probably pull the trigger. If you look at the team's salary cap situation next year, it's BAD. There is absolutely no way the Cowboys can be competitive next year without finding ways to offload expensive contracts. I'd also be looking for ways to get out of the contracts for DLaw, Zeke, and Jaylon ASAP. If not next year then the year after. You can't win by paying those amounts for those performances. You just can't.

Is there anyone on this board who can break down the differences in cap hits for trades versus cuts? Is it totally dependent on the language of the individual contract, or is there a general rule of thumb we can follow?

If you are worried about next year's cap, I don't think you can trade DLaw or Elliott. They will actually cost you more cap space to trade/cut I believe. Lawrence still has $27 million in bonus money that would need to be advanced against the cap. There is another $17 million in guaranteed salary for 2021 but if you trade him, that team takes that cap hit. But that $27 million probably makes it tough to trade.

Elliott is the same way. Smith, I believe, would be a net zero effect on the cap, so maybe you'd try to get out from under his contract.

Big_D

Reaction score
The only trade that would make any sense for this year is for a starting caliber QB, and that still doesn't make any sense. But of course Jerry is mentally ill and can't help himself, so... stay tuned.

what kind of draft pick will he give up? That’s the scary part. They should be sitting in the top 5, maybe top 2 or 3 and this doofus will trade it away to overpay another vet. QB is the only thing that possibly makes sense but I wouldn’t count on a trade that makes any sense at all. That’s the Jones mentality!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think trading Michael Gallup for a first round pick is a realistic trade idea. The Ravens are all in on a Super Bowl run and they are so desperate for a big play wide receiver, they put Dez on their practice squad. I got sick to my stomach this morning when some former Jet GM says the Cowboys should trade draft picks for Tribisky or Fitzpatrick. Yuck!!!!!

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Not sure you'd get a first but if you can get a 2nd, do it. He's not going to get paid by Dallas and this team is going nowhere.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

I'd almost want to see Lawrence traded just to send a message to the rest of the guys in the org.

Kalyan

Reaction score
I think trading Michael Gallup for a first round pick is a realistic trade idea. The Ravens are all in on a Super Bowl run and they are so desperate for a big play wide receiver, they put Dez on their practice squad. I got sick to my stomach this morning when some former Jet GM says the Cowboys should trade draft picks for Tribisky or Fitzpatrick. Yuck!!!!!

Do you guys have any other ideas?
I think the biggest asset is Martin, he can fetch #1 and then everybody else on what ever we can get, either dump salary or get a 5-7 round picks

Brooksey

Reaction score
We definitely would.
Neither has much base GTD money going forward and would be ripe for restructure once traded.
DAL would eat a lot of cap hit at trade that another team doesn't.
You may can get a 1st and 4th for DLaw if it's a team drafting low.

If Amari went to BAL they become Super bowl favorites.
SEA with DLaw? sheesh.

They are legit top 10 guys at their position and those positions could move the needle.

I don't see it

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/