Really hope Cowboys don't touch Zaven Collins

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We heard a lot of buzz about the Cowboys interest in Collins early in the process, but very little until recently. I thought after Quinn was hired they weren't going to consider him as he might be more of a fit for either a 3-4 front or hybrid scheme. That appears not to be the case as Pauline recently said, he could indeed be a trade back target. I heard a rumor that the Cowboys have a top 15 grade on him.

You would think with that size he would be more of a physical player, but he is another finesse type of linebacker that struggles with taking on blocks. He is quite similar to Lve, without the injury concerns. If we are going to take another high linebacker, you would think that player must be a strong run defender, which Collins is not. Give me Parsons, Davis, even Bolton over him as I know our weakness has a chance to improve.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We heard a lot of buzz about the Cowboys interest in Collins early in the process, but very little until recently. I thought after Quinn was hired they weren't going to consider him as he might be more of a fit for either a 3-4 front or hybrid scheme. That appears not to be the case as Pauline recently said, he could indeed be a trade back target. I heard a rumor that the Cowboys have a top 15 grade on him.

You would think with that size he would be more of a physical player, but he is another finesse type of linebacker that struggles with taking on blocks. He is quite similar to Lve, without the injury concerns. If we are going to take another high linebacker, you would think that player must be a strong run defender, which Collins is not. Give me Parsons, Davis, even Bolton over him as I know our weakness has a chance to improve.
LVA was a stud when he was healthy though. A healthy LVE made our defense moderately good in 2018

Bolton misses alot of tackles, and with short arms its not going to get better in the NFL

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

They can say Dallas is interested in Collins but I’m not going to believe it until they actually draft him.

Like you, I don’t think he’s the type of off the ball LB that Quinn is looking for in his defense. It just wouldn’t make sense.

He’s the size of a weakside DE in this scheme when he’s looking for faster, twitchy guys as his LB’s.

Maybe I’m wrong but I just can’t see it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Where do you get this from?

fivetwos

Reaction score

I was actually going to ask where you saw this guy as a fit in Quinns scheme.

If he isn't going to rush somehow in packages built around him, I can't see making this guy the top pick....especially before getting the DL straight.

He doesn't have much of a chance to make an impact in 2021 IMO...so what's the plan? Replace LVE w Collins in 22? That makes us better? Not at all.

Things like this are why I can live w taking a corner high.

I hope it's all smokescreen and they address push rush early and beef in the middle mid rounds.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think people are intrigued with Collins's size and athleticism, which is impressive. I hope the Cowboys don't take a LB in the first because I don't see it helping much until they fix the DL. I am hoping Gallimore improves in 2021, but I have a feeling Hill is what he is and that is not the kind of DT the Cowboys need. I can see Barmore turning into a Chris Jones kind of player. If they trade down, I would be happier with Barmore, or even Paye before Collins.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They can say Dallas is interested in Collins but I’m not going to believe it until they actually draft him.

Like you, I don’t think he’s the type of off the ball LB that Quinn is looking for in his defense. It just wouldn’t make sense.

He’s the size of a weakside DE in this scheme when he’s looking for faster, twitchy guys as his LB’s.

Maybe I’m wrong but I just can’t see it.
I actually think he was a much better fit in Nolan's defense, where his versatility would be more of an asset.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
LVA was a stud when he was healthy though. A healthy LVE made our defense moderately good in 2018

Bolton misses alot of tackles, and with short arms its not going to get better in the NFL
Far enough regarding Bolton, but I think we should stay away from another finesse type of backer, we already have 2 of them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Where do you get this from?
Him being more of a finesse player, not playing up to his size? Several scouting reports have stated this. I heard similar things on draft podcasts.
I was actually going to ask where you saw this guy as a fit in Quinns scheme.

If he isn't going to rush somehow in packages built around him, I can't see making this guy the top pick....especially before getting the DL straight.

He doesn't have much of a chance to make an impact in 2021 IMO...so what's the plan? Replace LVE w Collins in 22? That makes us better? Not at all.

Things like this are why I can live w taking a corner high.

I hope it's all smokescreen and they address push rush early and beef in the middle mid rounds.
Pauline was mentioning in his podcast last week that the Cowboys envision him more of a strong-side backer early on, where can defend the run, placed in coverage and rush the passer.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think people are intrigued with Collins's size and athleticism, which is impressive. I hope the Cowboys don't take a LB in the first because I don't see it helping much until they fix the DL. I am hoping Gallimore improves in 2021, but I have a feeling Hill is what he is and that is not the kind of DT the Cowboys need. I can see Barmore turning into a Chris Jones kind of player. If they trade down, I would be happier with Barmore, or even Paye before Collins.
I think many are expecting more of a McClain with that size, but he is more of a Lve. Athletic, long, rangy, but not the type who is good at stacking and shedding blocks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Then there’s Collins’ play style, which is decidedly not physical. That isn’t to say he’s soft, Collins is just more of a finesse player than a banger in the box. Analysts and even NFL teams will find that incredibly disappointing considering his size, especially in the AAC, and I’ll admit I experienced a twinge of that early in his tape study. Some of the block attempts Collins is unable to fend off are frankly pretty feeble.

Here is one report stating him being more of a finesse type linebacker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Him being more of a finesse player, not playing up to his size? Several scouting reports have stated this. I heard similar things on draft podcasts.

Based on what?

Pauline was mentioning in his podcast last week that the Cowboys envision him more of a strong-side backer early on, where can defend the run, placed in coverage and rush the passer.

Do you understand how important that is in Quinn's scheme?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Then there’s Collins’ play style, which is decidedly not physical. That isn’t to say he’s soft, Collins is just more of a finesse player than a banger in the box. Analysts and even NFL teams will find that incredibly disappointing considering his size, especially in the AAC, and I’ll admit I experienced a twinge of that early in his tape study. Some of the block attempts Collins is unable to fend off are frankly pretty feeble.

Here is one report stating him being more of a finesse type linebacker.
Last thing we need is more softness.

Done with that already.

Edit....I'll go ahead and say it..."finesse" = soft.

Didn't they call Bobby Carpenter that?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Based on what?

Just posted one scouting reports. I have heard this numerous times. He is not a Rolando McClain or a Hightower type of player.

Do you understand how important that is in Quinn's scheme?
Strong-Side linebacker is a part-time player, comes off the field in the nickel. He isn't playing the Leo spot where Gregory is expected to play. Imagine he would move to weakside against the pass. He does offer good coverage ability, but I worry about him against the run.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Another issue....Tulsa.

Level of competition.

I could swear I read somewhere last fall that this was an issue for Reggie Robinson.

Is that when they fell so in love with Collins, when they were scouting Robinson last year?

If it's the same person who concluded both, I'm not encouraged.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Last thing we need is more softness.

Done with that already.

Edit....I'll go ahead and say it..."finesse" = soft.

Didn't they call Bobby Carpenter that?

This guy is not soft. I mean, go turn on the SMU tape and watch him play. This guy is a do it all lb. Think
Derrick Brooks or Brian Urlacher.

Carpenter ran around blocks. This kid does not do that. He doesn't avoid contact. He will run through contract to make a tackle and he will time a blitz to avoid a block but he's not a soft lb.

Think about this, who is the last LB, you saw get drafted in the 1st round who was a stack and shed type LB? Those guys go later in the draft. They don't go top 10 or 15.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Another issue....Tulsa.

Level of competition.

I could swear I read somewhere last fall that this was an issue for Reggie Robinson.

Is that when they fell so in love with Collins, when they were scouting Robinson last year?

If it's the same person who concluded both, I'm not encouraged.
Kind of like Lve too, where he came from Boise. I did like Lve pick, but knew he needed some development. Unfortunately, he has missed so much time to do so. Collins maybe able to develop as well, but rather go in a different direction.