Really struggling to figure out Jevon Holland S Oregon

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Opted out in 2020. Only started for one year but saw lots of action as a versatile reserve as a freshman. Mostly played SS, giving him plenty of experience in coverage in the slot and some experience lining up in the box. Some teams may view him strictly as a slot corner, or potentially even try him on the outside where his length could be an asset. His versatility makes him an exciting prospect, but will also lead to a wide range of draft grades depending on how teams see him fitting into their defense. Teams who view him as a traditional SS who can play the run and line up in coverage vs slot receivers will have the highest grades on him.-Draft Ace

He is one of those chess piece type of players that you can't just pigeon hole him to one position. With this all being said, I struggle finding his fit with the Cowboys. Their scheme is rather simple, box safety plays close to the line and we will see a single high free safety in their cover 3 scheme. Don't think they would be creative finds ways to best use Holland.

This week is huge for Holland, as he pro day is coming. If he runs well, perhaps he could be a fit, but if not, can't see him fitting this defense as constructed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Opted out in 2020. Only started for one year but saw lots of action as a versatile reserve as a freshman. Mostly played SS, giving him plenty of experience in coverage in the slot and some experience lining up in the box. Some teams may view him strictly as a slot corner, or potentially even try him on the outside where his length could be an asset. His versatility makes him an exciting prospect, but will also lead to a wide range of draft grades depending on how teams see him fitting into their defense. Teams who view him as a traditional SS who can play the run and line up in coverage vs slot receivers will have the highest grades on him.-Draft Ace

He is one of those chess piece type of players that you can't just pigeon hole him to one position. With this all being said, I struggle finding his fit with the Cowboys. Their scheme is rather simple, box safety plays close to the line and we will see a single high free safety in their cover 3 scheme. Don't think they would be creative finds ways to best use Holland.

This week is huge for Holland, as he pro day is coming. If he runs well, perhaps he could be a fit, but if not, can't see him fitting this defense as constructed.

That Draft Ace write up is one of those bizarre write ups you see from time to time that makes no sense. Holland is definitely not a SS

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That Draft Ace write up is one of those bizarre write ups you see from time to time that makes no sense. Holland is definitely not a SS
I know many say he is a chess piece type, but which position do you think he starts at? Slot corner, Free or Strong?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know many say he is a chess piece type, but which position do you think he starts at? Slot corner, Free or Strong?
To me is a free safety that can come up and cover the slot at times. Dont know how well he will be able to that at an NFL though. He could be similar to what Kazee was before his injury. Not overly athletic, but very instinctive with a nose for the ball. A little bit of versatility to him, but he could also wind up getting beat like a drum in the slot in the NFL too. He could be a good FS in the NFL. However, he could also be another Nate Allen. I guy that gets alot of praised coming out for his instincts, but his physical limitations make him a very borderline starter. Id be willing to take that risk if it was staring me in the face

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And not that this guy cant wind up right. I remember people wanting Dante Whitner in 2006 because he would be the perfect FS to play with Williams. A few years later he was one of the box safeties in the league lol

Not for nothing. I like Kazee alot in 2017 as a slot CB. Never imagined he'd get moved to FS and actually work out

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

well....he’s not too smart for one. Play as a freshman, then opt out, then enter the draft? Sounds like a horrible plan.

cnuball21

Reaction score
To me is a free safety that can come up and cover the slot at times. Dont know how well he will be able to that at an NFL though. He could be similar to what Kazee was before his injury. Not overly athletic, but very instinctive with a nose for the ball. A little bit of versatility to him, but he could also wind up getting beat like a drum in the slot in the NFL too. He could be a good FS in the NFL. However, he could also be another Nate Allen. I guy that gets alot of praised coming out for his instincts, but his physical limitations make him a very borderline starter. Id be willing to take that risk if it was staring me in the face

I think this is a pretty good comp.

I like Holland, he appears to be a pretty instinctive dude with good ball skills.

Not sure what kind of athlete he is and I'm sure we'll get super inflated pro day numbers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And not that this guy cant wind up right. I remember people wanting Dante Whitner in 2006 because he would be the perfect FS to play with Williams. A few years later he was one of the box safeties in the league lol

Not for nothing. I like Kazee alot in 2017 as a slot CB. Never imagined he'd get moved to FS and actually work out
I actually like drafting a starting safety and move Kazee back to the slot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think it's safe to assume Holland is a top 3 safety in this class and expected to become a day 1 starter no matter where he plays. With Quinn's scheme and his strong safety inside the box, the free safety is going to have to have range to cover the entire field.

Carson

Reaction score
I actually like drafting a starting safety and move Kazee back to the slot.
I don’t think they would do that. I feel Lewis and Brown are going to man the slot while Diggs and a rookie play boundary

But Quinn is a little more qualified than I am to make that call lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t think they would do that. I feel Lewis and Brown are going to man the slot while Diggs and a rookie play boundary

But Quinn is a little more qualified than I am to make that call lol
Didn't say they would do that, I would just like to see it. Get as many ball hawks on the field as possible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He isn't the only one who didn't want to hurt their resume by playing this yr

How good could his resume really be? And then there is always the education thing. Dont blame society if you fail in the NFL and cant get a job.

kskboys

Reaction score
well....he’s not too smart for one. Play as a freshman, then opt out, then enter the draft? Sounds like a horrible plan.
2 years. He didn't start as a Frosh, but was moved all over and played a ton, then started at S his Soph year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Excellent prospect. Should be a Minkah Fitzpatrick type(Not my comparison, scouts.)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I watched every game Holland played at Oregon. Dude was always around the ball and he can hit. IMO definitely more S than CB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Draft Moehrig and fix the problem already.

Anyone else and we go into the season with and there's still question marks all over the place at S.