Really struggling to figure out Jevon Holland S Oregon

DanA

Reaction score
well....he’s not too smart for one. Play as a freshman, then opt out, then enter the draft? Sounds like a horrible plan.
  • Gets drafted
  • Spends a year training for NFL
  • Doesn’t risk injury
He might have given up a 1st or 2nd round grade but I understand his decision and don’t think it’s dumb at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • Gets drafted
  • Spends a year training for NFL
  • Doesn’t risk injury
He might have given up a 1st or 2nd round grade but I understand his decision and don’t think it’s dumb at all.

ok....explain it to me.

DanA

Reaction score
ok....explain it to me.

Missing the year removes that injury risk and means he gets around 1m guaranteed as a 3rd round pick.

The four basic options are:
1. Play, improve draft stock to 2nd round and get 4m guaranteed.
2. Play, reduce draft stock to 5th and earn 300k guaranteed
3. Play, get injured and earn 50k sitting in a cubical somewhere
4. Don’t play, earn 1m guaranteed as a 3rd round pick

Anything that avoids option 3 is not dumb IMO. 1m can be life changing and for someone that’s from a very poor background, risking losing that might not be worth it no matter the upside.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
What do you draftnicks think of Holland? Voch and Cavanaugh don’t seem to like him very much. Holland seems to have the best pro day as a safety. I am interested.
I wouldn’t consider Cavanaugh an expert on anything. I rely on Brugler for analysis. He does it 365 days a year.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider Cavanaugh an expert on anything. I rely on Brugler for analysis. He does it 365 days a year.

Brugler has him ranked as his #61 player (3rd S behind Grant and Moehrig). I know I’ve seen him play and, like a few of his scouting reports says, he seems VERY instinctive.

Gaede

Reaction score

Agreed. Cavanaugh is good in that he's confident in his opinions, and they may differ from the norm. But he absolutely looks at the draft like a fan (eg, valuing guys are the scrappy underdogs, like Washington, even though their pro potential is middling) rather than a scout.

I really enjoy both him and Voch; can tell they like the draft as much as the rest of us, which makes their opinions more entertaining than most. But I don't take their word as gospel.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Agreed. Cavanaugh is good in that he's confident in his opinions, and they may differ from the norm. But he absolutely looks at the draft like a fan (eg, valuing guys are the scrappy underdogs, like Washington, even though their pro potential is middling) rather than a scout.

I really enjoy both him and Voch; can tell they like the draft as much as the rest of us, which makes their opinions more entertaining than most. But I don't take their word as gospel.
The beauty of the draft is everyone has an opinion that "could" be right, and so called experts aren't necessarily better than ppl on this board, imho.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Oregon has Holland and a CB too, so it's good to hear Quinn is there scouting Holland for himself because that means they'll probably draft a FS even if it's not Holland.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Missing the year removes that injury risk and means he gets around 1m guaranteed as a 3rd round pick.

The four basic options are:
1. Play, improve draft stock to 2nd round and get 4m guaranteed.
2. Play, reduce draft stock to 5th and earn 300k guaranteed
3. Play, get injured and earn 50k sitting in a cubical somewhere
4. Don’t play, earn 1m guaranteed as a 3rd round pick

Anything that avoids option 3 is not dumb IMO. 1m can be life changing and for someone that’s from a very poor background, risking losing that might not be worth it no matter the upside.

yep, so 1 is smart, all the others are dumb.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So he’s prolly realistically a 4.55 ish guy...

Good enough for me as instincts is more important for Safety. He has a ton of ball production so I think he’s a top 50/60 is where I have him.

I don’t love him at 44 but do with our 3rd pick.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are so many guys I want Dallas to select that will go late first round to early third round it is not even funny. I wish they had 31 2nd round picks.