RECAP: Darren Woodson on ESPN Radio - 11/21/2008

FCBarca

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2433346 said:
There's photographic proof that it wasn't a perfect pass. If it had been, we wouldn't be able to see the numbers on Moss' jersey. He had to go from running toward the goalpost (his back would be to the camera) to turning back in the air and catching a ball that was sailing over his outside shoulder.

Actually, the photo shows you the end of the play, not the lead up...The pass was on the money but for some reason Moss started to slow down and turn around (Perhaps elicited by Newman premature leap for the ball)...If you watch the replay, if Moss had simply continued the path he was running, it was a completion in stride (Assuming he hangs onto it).

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;2433032 said:
Watching the game again on NFL Replay and had already forgotten how easily that W could've been a L.

Portis being out or injured obviously hampered the Skins but I also forgot about the headset issues that hurt Zorn & Campbell getting in the right plays...There was a crucial 3rd down play late in the game that may have turned out differently had they been working correctly....Of course, Dallas wasn't 100% either so hard to tilt it one way or the other in that regard...Even on the pass to Moss on 4th down that TNew defended, Moss was initially open but Jason couldn't release the ball as he was being pressured in the pocket (Finally we were seeing consistent pass pressure).

Plus, that bomb from Campbell to Moss (60 yards on a rope, btw) should've been caught...Dodged a huge bullet there after Dallas had just gone ahead.

Some dumb penalties (From Dallas' side of the ball) also made it closer/tighter than it should've been as well.

I think that's why I gave the edge to Ratliff as my player of the game...He came up with huge stops at key times late in the game.

Just any way you slice it, that was a huge game...Of course, it'll all be for nought if they turn up against the Niners and lay an egg...If they can build on it, good things.

Of course, then there's no Felix :(
same thing happened with Brian Stewart and Bradie James.

FCBarca

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2433362 said:
How do you propose he catches a ball over his outside shoulder without turning around?

There's a reason they call it 'it over the shoulder' as in they don't turn their body around, just their head

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
FCBarca;2433680 said:
Actually, the photo shows you the end of the play, not the lead up...The pass was on the money but for some reason Moss started to slow down and turn around (Perhaps elicited by Newman premature leap for the ball)...If you watch the replay, if Moss had simply continued the path he was running, it was a completion in stride (Assuming he hangs onto it).

Moss started to slow down and turn around because the pass was off target. If he had continued the path he was running, the ball would have been way to the outside and underthrown.

If you look at the photos that have been posted (or remember from the game), Moss was running toward the goal post, so Campbell needed to lead him in that direction. Instead, Campbell's pass forced both him and Newman to slow down and turn around.

Now, if you're saying Campbell threw it to the outside on purpose because of Newman's coverage, then you're giving the man too much credit since he didn't know how tight the coverage would be when he released the pass.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
bbgun;2433460 said:
Newman wasn't beaten on the play; he merely mistimed his jump. Moss timed it just right, but dropped it anyway.

http://img353.*************/img353/6769/49285447kk1.jpg

Cant argue with that. New was on his hip the whole way.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2433522 said:
and if we didnt have 2 picks near the Commanders redzone it would have been a blowout

If games are fun!

Let me try, let me try... ok, if ... dang it, I cant think of anything.:mad:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
dozin@theknick;2433941 said:
Cant argue with that. New was on his hip the whole way.
I don't know that you can even say he mistimed his jump as the reason he missed it.

Watching the play live Newman slowed half a step when he made his turn back to the ball, while Moss didn't quite as much. Moss was a half a step beyond Newman and yet barely got his hand on it.

If Moss had made the play, you'd just have to concede that he made a good play and Campbell made a good throw. That's beats great coverage most every time.

FCBarca

Reaction score
gimmesix;2433928 said:
Moss started to slow down and turn around because the pass was off target. If he had continued the path he was running, the ball would have been way to the outside and underthrown.

If you look at the photos that have been posted (or remember from the game), Moss was running toward the goal post, so Campbell needed to lead him in that direction. Instead, Campbell's pass forced both him and Newman to slow down and turn around.

Now, if you're saying Campbell threw it to the outside on purpose because of Newman's coverage, then you're giving the man too much credit since he didn't know how tight the coverage would be when he released the pass.

It's all in the past obviously but I noticed my observations during the live game and twice on NFL replay, still have the game too.

Moss had Newman on him but Moss slowed down as Newman jumped (early)...Newman's jump early also had Moss get turned around as he likely affected his view of the incoming pass...It's obvious that had he not slowed down he would've got it in stride as he ultimately had the ball just catch both his hands in full outstretched leap mode...Had he been continuing to run, obviously he wouldn't have had to leap much less stretch out like that.

Watching only the ball on a replay, you'll see him rocketed that pass...It left his hand almost effortlessly and never got that high off the ground (On a rope).

And on a play like that, obviously the QB goes to outside shoulder (As did Romo to Bennett on the TD) as safety help was going to come from the middle of the field as well...That's 90% of the time where QBs will throw on a play like that...Not sure how you can say it was simply good fortune on Campbell's part.

GoBoys41

Reaction score
I don't know how you can call it a perfect pass when Moss had to do lile a 270 to get his hands on the ball. He would've overran it if he didn't slow down. He also extended his arm on Newman, real slick like.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
FCBarca;2434062 said:
Moss had Newman on him but Moss slowed down as Newman jumped (early)...Newman's jump early also had Moss get turned around as he likely affected his view of the incoming pass...It's obvious that had he not slowed down he would've got it in stride as he ultimately had the ball just catch both his hands in full outstretched leap mode...Had he been continuing to run, obviously he wouldn't have had to leap much less stretch out like that.

If Moss had not slowed down, and Newman also, they would have easily outran the pass. Neither of those guys are Leonard Davis running down the field. Both had to gear down and turn to try to get a ball that bounced off a leaping Moss' hands. That means the pass wasn't going near where they were headed. He could not have caught it in stride because his stride would have taken him too far from where the ball was thrown. Had he continued to run, the ball would have landed safely behind him and to the left. ... If he had slowed down just a little and the ball went over him, I could see your argument, but that's not the case. Maybe if he had slowed a little less and altered his route he could have caught that ball "in stride," but otherwise the ball was not thrown the direction he was headed nor to match the speed he was using to get there.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Clearly if Moss had not slowed down the ball would not have reached him- how could speeding up help an underthrown ball?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2433200 said:
The pass was NOT "on the money," it was over his outside shoulder, which is why Moss got turned around. Newman had perfect position if the ball had been "on the money." It wasn't -- probably because of the wind, which is what Newman said happened. Because the ball sailed, Moss had a chance to catch it, but it was too difficult to catch while turning to his outside shoulder.

Glad to hear that, because that's what I suspected happened. Two guys running side by side don't both misjudge a ball like that without the wind or something affecting it.

And you gotta love the people who try to find almost-losses in wins. Yet somehow they never do that when we lose close games. :cool:

couchscout

Reaction score
FCBarca;2434062 said:
It's all in the past obviously but I noticed my observations during the live game and twice on NFL replay, still have the game too.

Watching only the ball on a replay, you'll see him rocketed that pass...It left his hand almost effortlessly and never got that high off the ground (On a rope).

And on a play like that, obviously the QB goes to outside shoulder (As did Romo to Bennett on the TD) as safety help was going to come from the middle of the field as well...That's 90% of the time where QBs will throw on a play like that...Not sure how you can say it was simply good fortune on Campbell's part.

You're hurting your own argument with just about everything you say. Yes it "was" a perfect pass, until it sailed near the end. If both Newman (an elite CB) and Moss (an elite WR) BOTH slowed down, and mistimed the ball...you dont think the wind causing the ball to sail had something to do with it?

Second, and this is coming from a person who plays on a traveling flag football team that has sponsers that allow us to go all over the country and play for free...and I play exclusively WR....Moss was running a post, very clearly. You do NOT throw the ball to the outside shoulder on a post pattern. That was a very well thrown ball, into a very tight coverage, that is likely broken up if the wind doesnt catch it.

Forget all those pictures, watch the live replay, both men are tracking the ball running full speed, then suddenly BOTH of them start slowing down to jump, then again suddenly, the ball essentially goes over them both. The ball sailed, it got caught in a wind current. Simple as that. Really dont see how anyone could see it any other way.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
What is lost or left out of Woodson's and other so called expert comments is the fact that Romo was a bit rusty and we absolutely controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball. Throwing out a blanket statement that cause Portis was banged up takes away from our Win is a crock.