RECAP: Darren Woodson on ESPN Radio - 11/21/2008

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
On the Cowboys...

The Commanders best player, Clinton Portis didn't play in the 2nd half, so I am not sure if the Cowboys are back

Cowboys played a scrappy football game

People didn't think they could play a close game and they proved they could

Came down to the D and they did make plays, but they have not been that great this year

On Pacman Jones...

I think he will suit up because of Jerry Jones (He is basically saying he is back because of Jerry Jones and not necessarily the coaches wanting him back). I don't see where he fits now. They got scandrick, Jenkins, Henry and Newman. He is going to be rusty and is he going to be a returner most of the time?

The NFC...

Arizona? Arizona is legit at home and a legit contender

Carolina? Carolinia is legit, as long as they run the football and don't put it all on Jake Delhomme

Tampa Bay? No, they are not, cowboys and giants are better

Green Bay? Possibly with defense. Green Bay is a darkhorse right now

Anybody else? No, keep your eye on the Cowboys, with all the talent and people getting healthy

Ever fell asleep in a meeting

Never fell asleep in a meeting because I learned quickly. In one of my first meetings, there was a guy by the name of John Roper who fell asleep and Jimmy Johnson walked in and cut the guy right on the spot. John Roper was actually in the gameplan for that week too.

Jay

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2432978 said:
Never fell asleep in a meeting because I learned quickly. In one of my first meetings, there was a guy by the name of John Roper who fell asleep and Jimmy Johnson walked in and cut the guy right on the spot. John Roper was actually in the gameplan for that week too.

That's just awesome. :bow:

Always loved Jimmy.

Temo

Reaction score
I keep hearing that about how Pacman doesn't have a place anymore on this team, and from enough trustworthy people that it's probably true. I think at this point, depending on how much loyalty Wade gives to Henry, Pacman will just be an insurance policy against injury in the secondary. (Note that I still think he's the 2nd best CB we have, but chemistry matters too)

Also, I think he's wrong on Carolina. I don't know how their record is so good, because they haven't looked dominant at all this season. As for Arizona, they have a good team, but they are doing as well as they are because Warner is having an MVP-type year (I read somewhere that he's on pace to break the single-season completion percentage record?). But Warner is still who he is, and he is very prone to injury. And even with Warner, they can still be beat.

I still think the NFC comes down to the NFC east and then everyone else.

hendog

Reaction score
I remember Roper. I think after he was cut he became the land lord on the show Three's Company.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Watching the game again on NFL Replay and had already forgotten how easily that W could've been a L.

Portis being out or injured obviously hampered the Skins but I also forgot about the headset issues that hurt Zorn & Campbell getting in the right plays...There was a crucial 3rd down play late in the game that may have turned out differently had they been working correctly....Of course, Dallas wasn't 100% either so hard to tilt it one way or the other in that regard...Even on the pass to Moss on 4th down that TNew defended, Moss was initially open but Jason couldn't release the ball as he was being pressured in the pocket (Finally we were seeing consistent pass pressure).

Plus, that bomb from Campbell to Moss (60 yards on a rope, btw) should've been caught...Dodged a huge bullet there after Dallas had just gone ahead.

Some dumb penalties (From Dallas' side of the ball) also made it closer/tighter than it should've been as well.

I think that's why I gave the edge to Ratliff as my player of the game...He came up with huge stops at key times late in the game.

Just any way you slice it, that was a huge game...Of course, it'll all be for nought if they turn up against the Niners and lay an egg...If they can build on it, good things.

Of course, then there's no Felix :(

burmafrd

Reaction score
Moss was NOT open on that play-newman was inside his shirt.
And Portis DID play in the second half but he was clearly hurting.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
On the Cowboys...

The Commanders best player, Clinton Portis didn't play in the 2nd half, so I am not sure if the Cowboys are back

What game was Woody watching?

Portis played in the second half. On the Skins' final drive, he had a 10-yard run, then got stuffed for a 2-yard loss by Tank Johnson on first-and-10 from our 43. Three plays later, Newman broke up the fourth-down pass.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
FCBarca;2433032 said:
Plus, that bomb from Campbell to Moss (60 yards on a rope, btw) should've been caught...Dodged a huge bullet there after Dallas had just gone ahead.

:(

Should've been caught??? Not sure about that. Yes Moss got his hands on it, but it would've been a great play if Moss made the play considering the coverage by Newman and the way Moss had to position himself just to get his hands on the ball. Not to mention, he got away with a nice subtle shove to knock Newman off balance.

And yes. Obviousy the game could've gone either way on a play here or play there. The score indicates so.

And c'mon Woody. Portis didn't play in the 2nd half??? He missed a play or 2 here and there but he was out there the majority of the game. While giving a gutsy effort, Portis obviously wasn't 100% but the Cowboys are the last team to cry for someone not at full strength.

This was a good win vs a quality opponent in their stadium. Period.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;2433108 said:
Should've been caught??? Not sure about that. Yes Moss got his hands on it, but it would've been a great play if Moss made the play considering the coverage by Newman and the way Moss had to position himself just to get his hands on the ball..

Newman said the ball sailed in the wind at the last second. Newman had great coverage and jumped for the ball, but he ended up mis-timing it because it sailed. That's the reason Moss had a chance to catch it -- and the same reason why he was unable to catch it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2433086 said:
What game was Woody watching?

Portis played in the second half. On the Skins' final drive, he had a 10-yard run, then got stuffed for a 2-yard loss by Tank Johnson on first-and-10 from our 43. Three plays later, Newman broke up the fourth-down pass.

I was thinking the same thing. I like Woodson too much and can't bring myself to criticize him, so he needs to not do stuff like that in the future.

FCBarca

Reaction score
JohnsKey19;2433108 said:
Should've been caught??? Not sure about that. Yes Moss got his hands on it, but it would've been a great play if Moss made the play considering the coverage by Newman and the way Moss had to position himself just to get his hands on the ball. Not to mention, he got away with a nice subtle shove to knock Newman off balance.

And yes. Obviousy the game could've gone either way on a play here or play there. The score indicates so.

And c'mon Woody. Portis didn't play in the 2nd half??? He missed a play or 2 here and there but he was out there the majority of the game. While giving a gutsy effort, Portis obviously wasn't 100% but the Cowboys are the last team to cry for someone not at full strength.

This was a good win vs a quality opponent in their stadium. Period.

Two reasons why it 'should've' been caught...One, Moss didn't get just one hand on it, he had two...Two, Moss got turned around...Had he continued his path instead of searching for the ball (Which was on the money) and turning around, he would've had it in his bread basket - in stride...Newman, despite a stellar job for the night, was beat.

FCBarca

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2433134 said:
Newman said the ball sailed in the wind at the last second. Newman had great coverage and jumped for the ball, but he ended up mis-timing it because it sailed. That's the reason Moss had a chance to catch it -- and the same reason why he was unable to catch it.

Watch that replay sometime, that ball arrived on a rope...Barely any air under it...Only sailing it did was when it left Jason's hand...Personally, I thought it was a helluva pass

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
On the Cowboys...

BS, Portis did play in the 2nd half. We beat the Commanders straight up there should be no excuses.

**Well check this, I needed to read some more posts in the thread because Portis playing in the 2nd half has been covered by a few people. Sorry.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I'll be ok if Pacman comes back just to return punts. In the meantime, Crayton has to stop holding that thing like a loaf of bread.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
FCBarca;2433163 said:
Watch that replay sometime, that ball arrived on a rope...Barely any air under it...Only sailing it did was when it left Jason's hand...Personally, I thought it was a **** pass

I've watched it several times, and I believe it did sail at the end. Both players misjudged it.

DoomsDayII

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;2433160 said:
Two reasons why it 'should've' been caught...One, Moss didn't get just one hand on it, he had two...Two, Moss got turned around...Had he continued his path instead of searching for the ball (Which was on the money) and turning around, he would've had it in his bread basket - in stride...Newman, despite a stellar job for the night, was beat.

+1 newman clearly said the wind impacted his not being able to get to the ball. any other night and that ball is either knocked down or picked off, it was underthrown and the wind carried it