RECAP: Drew Pearson on Sirius NFL Channel

BlueWave

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
yea....he is ......I hope Drew makes it soon

An absolute class act. On and off the field. I am still searching for a good print (artistic) of Drew Pearson for my wall of fame (which includes Emmitt Smith, Bob Lilly, Moose Johnston, Bill Bates, and Randy White), limited spots available. Anyone knows of one, let me know.

BlueWave

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
Bill Bates? get out of here

Won three Superbowls.

Was the reason the NFL created a spot for special teamer in Pro Bowl.

Only player to play extended time for both Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Won three Superbowls.

Was the reason the NFL created a spot for special teamer in Pro Bowl.

Only player to play extended time for both Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson.

Was a fair Safety, by NFL standards, at best IMO. Lots of heart but not a great deal of ability. His popularity was greatly enhanced, IMO, by the fact that he was a Cowboy. I agree with the previous poster. An excellent ST player. An average position player, no more.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Was a fair Safety, by NFL standards, at best IMO. Lots of heart but not a great deal of ability. His popularity was greatly enhanced, IMO, by the fact that he was a Cowboy. I agree with the previous poster. An excellent ST player. An average position player, no more.

It wasn't as a positional player where he gained his popularity. He was one of the best special teams players in NFL history. His popularity is not enhanced strictly because he outplayed his physical ability, but because of his special teams play.

Great wall.

Mash

Reaction score
Bill Bates had pictures of Jerry Jones......he later passed those pictures to Lynn Scott. :)

Bates was well known for his offseason BBQ's......was a average player but a solid ST.....but I must say.....one of the most overrated Cowboys....because for some reason he was such a fan favorite.

JMHO.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
It wasn't as a positional player where he gained his popularity. He was one of the best special teams players in NFL history. His popularity is not enhanced strictly because he outplayed his physical ability, but because of his special teams play.

Great wall.

I understand.

Having said that, special teams does not get you into the Hall. If it did, Steve Tasker would be there as well. He, IMO, was a better Special Teams player then even Bates. I have respect for the guy because of what he was able to accomplish given his physical ability but he was not a HOF type talent. A guy like Cliff Harris, the best Strong Safety we have ever had IMO, is not a Hall of Fame player and he was much better then Billy Bates IMO. It's just how I see it.

Thank you.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Mash said:
Bill Bates had pictures of Jerry Jones......he later passed those pictures to Lynn Scott. :)

Bates was well known for his offseason BBQ's......was a average player but a solid ST.....but I must say.....one of the most overrated Cowboys....because for some reason he was such a fan favorite.

JMHO.....

Yeah, the NFL often creates positions in the Pro Bowl as a result of "average players".

You obviously never watched him play. He must have had pictures of Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Jerry Jones.

Please.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I understand.

Having said that, special teams does not get you into the Hall. If it did, Steve Tasker would be there as well. He, IMO, was a better Special Teams player then even Bates. I have respect for the guy because of what he was able to accomplish given his physical ability but he was not a HOF type talent. A guy like Cliff Harris, the best Strong Safety we have ever had IMO, is not a Hall of Fame player and he was much better then Billy Bates IMO. It's just how I see it.

Thank you.

No one says he'll make the HOF. He probably won't for the reasons you give, and that he is a Cowboy.

The guy above simply said he had a picture of him on his wall along with other Cowboys greats, and another poster acted as if Bates did not belong.

Mash

Reaction score
Give me a break.....

John Madden created that position....

Steve Tasker was ten times the special team player Bill Bates was....

It kills me how a player who rarely played defence because of his limitations....made plays once in awhile on ST's......became a icon as a Dallas
Cowboy.

Such a icon.....they even made him a coach....and he couldn't coach.....

Bates was a great person....and teammate....but overrated as a football player...If Bates played for the Arizona Cardinals we would of never heard of him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I understand.

Thank you.

That says it all right there.

Bill Bates doesn't deserve the Hall, nor the Ring of Honor.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Mash said:
Give me a break.....

John Madden created that position....

Steve Tasker was ten times the special team player Bill Bates was....

It kills me how a player who rarely played defence because of his limitations....made plays once in awhile on ST's......became a icon as a Dallas
Cowboy.

Such a icon.....they even made him a coach....and he couldn't coach.....

Bates was a great person....and teammate....but overrated as a football player...If Bates played for the Arizona Cardinals we would of never heard of him.

The NFL is full of players that would never have been heard of if they ended up as Cardinals.

Tasker would have been in the same boat, had the Bills not been in the Super Bowl three times.

I'm more likely to consider the evalutaion of Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson than I am of a message board poster named "Mash".

Great players don't always make great Coaches. On the contrary, usually average or below average players end up great Coaches. So that point is useless.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Alexander said:
That says it all right there.

Bill Bates doesn't deserve the Hall, nor the Ring of Honor.

And no one said he did.

Find one place where anyone said he did deserve those honors......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
No one says he'll make the HOF. He probably won't for the reasons you give, and that he is a Cowboy.

The guy above simply said he had a picture of him on his wall along with other Cowboys greats, and another poster acted as if Bates did not belong.

As I re-read BlueWaves original post, I find that your absolutly right. He says that he's trying to find a print to be hung on His Wall of Fame. Never once does he say The Hall of Fame. I know that nobody is ever going to tell me who or what I can hang on my own wall. Appoligies BlueWave.

I saw a singed framed photo of Bates and Hershel standing in uniform not too long ago in Knoxville. Bates had a Vols helmet under his arm and Walker a Dogs cover. They were shaking hands and I thought it was a very good picture indeed, considering the history there. I think they were asking 150 for the signed copy, which I thought was pretty good considering it was framed. Maybe that would work?

Mash

Reaction score
Tom Laundry and Jimmy Johnson didn't overrate Bill Bates.......he was what he was....a solid ST..

he never started on defence and was used as a nickel backer earlier on till they realized he couldn't cover.

Like I said...he was a solid ST and both Tom and Jimmy felt ST were as important as offence and defence.

But with all the players to wear a star on their helmet.....Bill Bates for me....is the most overrated amoung us Cowboy fans......and I dont get it....because thats all he did well...was ST...and we had others who were just as good as him on ST.

Yet to some....Bill Bates is a icon......no worries though....no skin off my back...I just dont understand the praise he gets......and why he gets mentioned with some greats that wore the star in the same sentence.

oh well....

Scotman

Reaction score
I'd include Bill Bates on my Wall of Honor any time. To suggest that he wasn't anything other than run-of-the-mill, is incorrect. He was tremendous on special teams. Comparing him to Tasker is irrelevant. He was just a guy as a safety. He won't make the Hall, but who cares. The Hall of Fame is a joke. There is little rhyme or reason for the folks that go in. Anything that depends on the media as a primary voting body to determine sports greatness is flawed at its inception.

Bill Bates was a great Cowboy, on and off the field.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
Scotman said:
I'd include Bill Bates on my Wall of Honor any time. To suggest that he wasn't anything other than run-of-the-mill, is incorrect. He was tremendous on special teams. Comparing him to Tasker is irrelevant. He was just a guy as a safety. He won't make the Hall, but who cares. The Hall of Fame is a joke. There is little rhyme or reason for the folks that go in. Anything that depends on the media as a primary voting body to determine sports greatness is flawed at its inception.
Bill Bates was a great Cowboy, on and off the field.

Just look at the fact that Lynn Swann is in the HOF, but Pearson cannot even get to the voting stage.