RECAP: Drew Pearson on Sirius NFL Channel

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
What do you think about Dale Hellestrae's HOF chances?

About the same as I think of Billy "White Shoes" Johnsons. It is as it should be. JMO of course.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Mash said:
Tom Laundry and Jimmy Johnson didn't overrate Bill Bates.......he was what he was....a solid ST..

he never started on defence and was used as a nickel backer earlier on till they realized he couldn't cover.

Like I said...he was a solid ST and both Tom and Jimmy felt ST were as important as offence and defence.

But with all the players to wear a star on their helmet.....Bill Bates for me....is the most overrated amoung us Cowboy fans......and I dont get it....because thats all he did well...was ST...and we had others who were just as good as him on ST.

Yet to some....Bill Bates is a icon......no worries though....no skin off my back...I just dont understand the praise he gets......and why he gets mentioned with some greats that wore the star in the same sentence.

oh well....

Bill Bates was the starting SS for the 1986 to 88 seasons. Though he did miss three games during the 1987 season. I guess he could have been injured.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Umm...was there a recap in here somewhere as the title suggests?

MONT17

Reaction score
I like Bates... but I think he wasa Madden creation!!! just like the COWBOYS OL from the 90s!!! some people actually think that was the greatest line ever and none of those guys are going to the HALL!!!

LA might make it but I would think the GREATEST LINE of all time would have at least 1 guy in the HAll by now!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
And no one said he did.

Find one place where anyone said he did deserve those honors......

Just stating my particular stance. Bates doesn't deserve to be mentioned as an all-time great player. All-Time "Cowboy" in terms of popularity, character and giving the warm fuzzies as a feel-good story? Probably.

As for Bluewave "Wall" of Fame, I find it strange to have a player of Bates' caliber alongside truly great players like Lilly, White and Emmitt Smith. I guess the criteria is what? Character players that were well liked on a personal level? That's fine, but if not it makes little sense. Because from a talent level, Bates is far below all of them, even Johnston.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Excuse me, I think I stumbled on the Commanders discussion board by mistake.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
I like Bates... but I think he wasa Madden creation!!! just like the COWBOYS OL from the 90s!!! some people actually think that was the greatest line ever and none of those guys are going to the HALL!!!

LA might make it but I would think the GREATEST LINE of all time would have at least 1 guy in the HAll by now!!!

I think you sell that line short. I think Bates was a product of the media but I can not say that of the OL.

If I look back at that line, I see greatness at every position.

-Tui will not make the hall but he was an exceptional LT.
-Newton might have had an outside chance before the conviction but none now. Still, he was as good a guard as there was in the league for a good 5 year span.
-Step may actually have a chance some day.
-Allen is a First Ballot HOFer once he hangs them up.
-BigE was the finest RT I'd ever seen prior to the car accident. Even after he was pretty damn good. I don't see him in the Hall but had he not been injured, I think he might turn out to be better then Allen.

No, I don't think that line was a fabrication of anything. It was definatly the best line I've ever seen play and I have seen some good ones. Even now, if you look at all the great lines through out history, none of them have more then 2 players in with the possible exception of the Browns, pre modern era.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think you sell that line short. I think Bates was a product of the media but I can not say that of the OL.

If I look back at that line, I see greatness at every position.

-Tui will not make the hall but he was an exceptional LT.
-Newton might have had an outside chance before the conviction but none now. Still, he was as good a guard as there was in the league for a good 5 year span.
-Step may actually have a chance some day.
-Allen is a First Ballot HOFer once he hangs them up.
-BigE was the finest RT I'd ever seen prior to the car accident. Even after he was pretty damn good. I don't see him in the Hall but had he not been injured, I think he might turn out to be better then Allen.

No, I don't think that line was a fabrication of anything. It was definatly the best line I've ever seen play and I have seen some good ones. Even now, if you look at all the great lines through out history, none of them have more then 2 players in with the possible exception of the Browns, pre modern era.

That OL (like the whole team for that matter) had chemistry. And was well coached.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bill Bates is one of the all time great special teams players. Period.

Tasker 10X better then bates? Put the crack pipe down. They were neck and neck. Tasker might have been better, but it was 10X better. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to have a picture of Bill Bates on his wall that's HIS business.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Bill Bates is one of the all time great special teams players. Period.

Tasker 10X better then bates? Put the crack pipe down. They were neck and neck. Tasker might have been better, but it was 10X better. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to have a picture of Bill Bates on his wall that's HIS business.

I agree. I don't think that Tasker and Bates were neck and neck. I think Tasker was easily better, if only because of the speed advantage (which was significant) but I do agree they were both exceptional ST players.

If you want em on the wall, put em up there. Heck, I sometimes think about putting pictures of a 68 Dodge Charger on the wall. What the heck?

;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree. I don't think that Tasker and Bates were neck and neck. I think Tasker was easily better, if only because of the speed advantage (which was significant) but I do agree they were both exceptional ST players.

If you want em on the wall, put em up there. Heck, I sometimes think about putting pictures of a 68 Dodge Charger on the wall. What the heck?

;)

Hey keep talking trash and you'll have a 68 dodge charger going THROUGH your wall...

If I can actually get it running. :banghead:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Hey keep talking trash and you'll have a 68 dodge charger going THROUGH your wall...

If I can actually get it running. :banghead:

I checked out your link. I feel OK in the belief that I have a couple years of Shyate talk to go before I have to worry about that, give or take a month.

BTW, I had one. I had a 68 RT 440(L) 3 speed when I was a kid. Lots of car and would honestly pass ANYTHING but a Gas Pump. They only made something like 200 of those cars but I had no idea at the time. My Mom and Dad wanted me to get rid of it so I did. Too much care for me at that age I suppose. I sold it for 2500 bucks and it was worth much, much more then that.

I guess what I'm telling you is if your dead set on driving it through my wall, make sure you run me over with it because I regrete ever letting that car go. If I ever had another chance to own one like it, I'd do it.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Rack, I guess Jessica Simpson riding around in the General Lee just moved you.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Arch Stanton said:
Bill Bates was the starting SS for the 1986 to 88 seasons. Though he did miss three games during the 1987 season. I guess he could have been injured.

That was the strike year. The three games he missed were scab games.

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Just stating my particular stance. Bates doesn't deserve to be mentioned as an all-time great player. All-Time "Cowboy" in terms of popularity, character and giving the warm fuzzies as a feel-good story? Probably.

As for Bluewave "Wall" of Fame, I find it strange to have a player of Bates' caliber alongside truly great players like Lilly, White and Emmitt Smith. I guess the criteria is what? Character players that were well liked on a personal level? That's fine, but if not it makes little sense. Because from a talent level, Bates is far below all of them, even Johnston.

As for Bluewave "Wall" of Fame, I find it strange to have a player of Bates' caliber alongside truly great players like Lilly, White and Emmitt Smith. I guess the criteria is what?:eek:

why do you even care..... are you the picture patrol? If it doesn't suit Alexander... YOU MUST TAKE IT DOWN!!!!

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Rack, I clicked on your link too after the above Jessica Simpson comment. Open mouth, insert foot. Didn't even realize there was a link! Sorry about that.

Anyhow, you found the Black Widow inside...I like the scheme you have worked up, should be sweet. At my last house...we had Brown Widows out the wazoo in the garage. More deadly poison but not as agressive.

Good luck on the car.

Hailmary

Reaction score
What? All this talk of ST and no mention of Mosi Tatupo? The man had an award named after him afterall....

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
All-Time "Cowboy" in terms of popularity, character and giving the warm fuzzies as a feel-good story? Probably.
That's it.

Several of my favorite players weren't the "best" players (e.g., Larry Cole, Jim Jeffcoat, Charlie Waters).

J-DOG

Reaction score
BlueWave said:
An absolute class act. On and off the field. I am still searching for a good print (artistic) of Drew Pearson for my wall of fame (which includes Emmitt Smith, Bob Lilly, Moose Johnston, Bill Bates, and Randy White), limited spots available. Anyone knows of one, let me know.
I gotta Drew Pearson autographed pic a couple of years ago.
Just recently got a Duane Thomas autograph pic of him in Super Bowl VI.

Drew is a class act and when I met him he asked me if I wanted the autograph personalized.
I said yeah, make it out to Jerry.
Drew-You mean like Jerry Jones.
ME- Yes, but if I was Jerry Jones you would be in that Ring of Honor!
Drew-Right on man!(His right hand shoots out and gives me the brotha hand-shake).
After I got off the stage I went back to where my father was sitting and realized I just touched the hand that caught the Hail-Mary.
Another great thing about that night was that the Hail-Mary catch was the play that made me an instant and life-long Cowboys fan.
My Dad was home watching the game and just went overboard when that play happened and he made sure his only son watched the replay and undestood why it was so amazing. I thought of that on Fathers day yesterday.
I was 6 at the time, and Drew is my all-time favorite player because of that.
The guy never dissappointed in his effort or play.
Meeting Duane Thomas was great also.