RECAP: Greg Ellis with BaD Radio on The Ticket...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
zrinkill said:
He had NO, let me repeat ....... NO contract ....

Emmitt would not have held out while he was under contract.

I did not say that Ellis held out ..... I only said Emmitt did not.

By the way...you cannot "hold out" if you don't have a contract....just an FYI...

:star:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Then, how come Emmitt did not try and go to another team? How come the Boyz lost two games before JJ came to his senses?

Because even though he wasn't under contract, the Cowboys retained his rights. Just like Bobby Carpenter before he signed his contract the day before training camp couldn't have decided to work out a contract with the 49ers instead. (However, unlike Ellis, Carpenter did attend every workout he possibly could to get better and be there for his team)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Because even though he wasn't under contract, the Cowboys retained his rights. Just like Bobby Carpenter before he signed his contract the day before training camp couldn't have decided to work out a contract with the 49ers instead. (However, unlike Ellis, Carpenter did attend every workout he possibly could to get better and be there for his team)

An extremely good point. It is noted.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
5Stars said:
Then, how come Emmitt did not try and go to another team? How come the Boyz lost two games before JJ came to his senses?

Having his rights and him being under contact are 2 different things.

Ellis just signed a brand new multi million dollar contact 2 years ago ... its not even close to the same thing .....

Ellis's situation is like T.O.'s last year.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
InmanRoshi said:

Oh...I get it...thanks for that information....the Boyz held his rights? So, that means that other teams cannot sign him...:confused: unless an agreement was made?

I did not say I was the smartest person on the planet...! :eek:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alexander said:
But it isn't about money.;)

Hey. I never said it wasn't about money. Of course it's about money. I don't have the slightest problem with that.

Ellis is right at that critical age where he everyone knows next year's money (whether it be with Dallas or with another team) will be the most he will ever make in his career. If he's kept by Dallas, he'll get that roster bonus, if not he's a free agent and has a very small window of opportunity to try to convince someone to give him Grant Winstrom money.

His "saying" it's not about money is basically BS...we agree on that. Ellis' centention is that it's not about MORE money than whats in his contract, but that kinda splitting hairs there. Even if it's pure BS, plenty of players have said far worse.

He's positioning himself to be able to recover if things go wrong here in 06, and think he's well within his rights to do so.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alexander said:
I understand he is asking for is something nobody and I mean, NOBODY, would get. To me, it is completely unreasonable.

Not unless you wanted a full scale contractual mutiny on your hands with all of the players on your roster.

You are right. He's asking for something NO ONE would ever get. But in truth, I don't think he actually expected to get it.

I'm tellin ya he's just making a stink because he thinks he'll need something to point to as a cause for a down year in the FA market.

He griped last year because he fully believed he would be gone last March. He even said he was shocked Dallas paid him his money this off-season.