Recap: Some more Trysten Hill positivity from Stephen Jones

KDM256

Reaction score
Never bad mouthed this kid last year for being a rookie trying to get adjusted to the NFL. Some players need time to develop.

Would love this see this kid ball out this year and prove a lot of nay-sayers wrong inthe process.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's always good when you have one of those unexpected guys step up and play at a high level.

Especially when they do it at the only position where we desperately need someone to step up after McCoy's injury.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Anyone wonder if Stevie would have come on and said "Hill looks like the zero that we found him to be last year. We're basically screwed with the McCoy injury that we expected would happen since we wrote it into the contract."

Yeah, me neither.

Well lucky for you he didn't have to mention him at all.

He wasn't asked about him or anything. He brought him up out of his own free will.

He could've named anyone on the team and we've been hearing from others as well that Hill has looked good so far.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Ratliff had four sacks and played in every game the year before that, but still a good point.

The important thing with Ratliff, re: Hill, is that he only played 4 games as a rookie.

yes ratliff was good in 05 until he was hurt and in 06. He kicked leonardo Carson off the roster in the summer of 05 and then he played at end in 06. When ferguson tore his triceps in the opener in 07 Ratliff took over at the nose and ran with it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
:lmao:....the ONLY bell Hill has EVER really answered is the dinner bell.

Now, it's like, yippee . . . the dawn of a new day! Ding Dong, Ding Dong! :grin:

What's that I hear? Could it be the celebration bell? Oh, yes, it is that bell. :)

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I have been less critical of Hill, who is a young player, than most but I want to see if they evn activate him for the games before I feel warm and fuzzy. I thought he did okay in the few snap he had last year but clearly the Cowboys lacked confidence in him or he would have at least been active most games.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
yes ratliff was good in 05 until he was hurt and in 06. He kicked leonardo Carson off the roster in the summer of 05 and then he played at end in 06. When ferguson tore his triceps in the opener in 07 Ratliff took over at the nose and ran with it.

LOL Leonardo Carson. Thats a blast from the past.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ratliff had four sacks and played in every game the year before that, but still a good point.

The important thing with Ratliff, re: Hill, is that he only played 4 games as a rookie.
Of course, at the time they were switching to a 3-4 defense, so only one interior D-Lineman, and Ratliff was very undersized for that role. The Cowboys did eventually plug him in as the NT because he was too talented to be on the sidelines, but he was never ideal as a NT.

Sad thing was, Hatcher was out of place as a 3-4 DE. Had they been running a 4-3 with Hatcher and Ratliff at DT they would have had a dominant interior D-Line.

MikeB80

Reaction score
LOL Leonardo Carson. Thats a blast from the past.

yep. Parcells wrote letters on his behalf to get him out of trouble and then cut him in the summer in 05. Ratliff took his roster spot.

That 05 defensive line was fantastic.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Of course, at the time they were switching to a 3-4 defense, so only one interior D-Lineman, and Ratliff was very undersized for that role. The Cowboys did eventually plug him in as the NT because he was too talented to be on the sidelines, but he was never ideal as a NT.

Sad thing was, Hatcher was out of place as a 3-4 DE. Had they been running a 4-3 with Hatcher and Ratliff at DT they would have had a dominant interior D-Line.

he played in 05 and 06.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So I was listening to Stephen Jones on 105.3 the fan at lunch and they asked him about guys stepping up on the defensive side of the ball..

He mentioned LVE looks like 2018 LVE again..

But then he goes out of his way to say Trysten Hill has really answered the bell. Saying he has really shown up in practice, he's been consistent, and doing a great job.

He also says he is really taking the reigns and running with it right now.

He speculates that maybe Marinelli was so tough on him early on that it was tough on him as a young player but he is really stepping up right now.

Stephen Jones also mentioned that Aldon Smith looks far ahead of schedule right now.

Sounded like Diggs and Tyler Biadasz are perfoming good as well.

He mentioned the lack of resources spent at Safety and didn't sound really optimistic about what we have back there.

Amazing. Every player on the 70 man roster is looking incredible.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just pointing it out, he was drafted in 05 and that is the offseason they made the switch. He played end in 05 and 06. thats all.
Okay. I was just curious about why you specified those years because he also played beyond 06 in Dallas in a 3-4 defense as well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So I was listening to Stephen Jones on 105.3 the fan at lunch and they asked him about guys stepping up on the defensive side of the ball..

He mentioned LVE looks like 2018 LVE again..

But then he goes out of his way to say Trysten Hill has really answered the bell. Saying he has really shown up in practice, he's been consistent, and doing a great job.

He also says he is really taking the reigns and running with it right now.

He speculates that maybe Marinelli was so tough on him early on that it was tough on him as a young player but he is really stepping up right now.

Stephen Jones also mentioned that Aldon Smith looks far ahead of schedule right now.

Sounded like Diggs and Tyler Biadasz are perfoming good as well.

He mentioned the lack of resources spent at Safety and didn't sound really optimistic about what we have back there.
sounds like ET will ne here.Thats what I took from it. I live near Abilene Texas and listen to the fan when I can get the signal lol..Stevie sure is making strong hints at ET. In my view, its what HE DIDNT SAY that tells me there is a big chance he will be here. He had every chance to deny it and close the book on it, and in fact, he opened said book all the way. If reports are true, they are woefully concerned with Dix and what they have currently on the back end. Dallas has shown to be all in this off season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the McCoy injury helped in Trysten Hill realizing he has a career-altering opportunity ahead of him, then its a blessing in disguise. Hopefully the kid can start for us.
He should've realized that when they went out and signed McCoy to begin with.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Amazing. Every player on the 70 man roster is looking incredible.
Haha...that's how these things go. Only time you hear something bad is about the quarterback. No other position struggles it seems lol. Heard the other day that everyone look great in Miami but Tua.....one of the worst teams in the league last year they all look good but the quarterback lol.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is in line w what the beat guys are saying about the safeties. Haha doesn't look good and can't even separate himself from D. Thompson...have to think Thomas is in play
yeah, I'm on board with ya now...Must of been an erroneous report before stating Dix was doing ok and so forth. MM clearly saw some things in practice that he just cannot accept from him, or we would have publicly slammed the book closed already on the notion of signing ET. I do believe its gonna happen soon.