ReDraft

cnuball21

Reaction score
As long as you rely on consensus internet rankings and not their rankings, you will never get what you want. Their rankings are based on what they are looking for in players, not what others think in generic terms. You have no idea if they reached for need or not according to their board.
That’s not true - I was ecstatic in 2020 when we leaned BPA. And weirdly that was arguably our best draft of the the last 5 years.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So, you would have been okay with leaving that massive hole in the middle of the defense that has been there for decades?
I wouldn’t have drafted Mazi but I’m fine with the pick and quickly got board.

If we were going to lean need I would’ve gone heavy on offense early and often to pump weapons into our team.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You said he was just a blocking TE.
I’ve said he’s a blocking TE and his pass catching ability is based on projection.

Where did I say “he’s just a pass blocking TE”? There’s a difference IMO.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What else could it mean? When someone says they would have done something different, it means they think they know better than the person that did whatever they disagreed with.
That's a pretty pointless exaggeration.

It's possible to look at a player different than an analyst, expert, GM, or whoever and still think that other person is smart lol

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Over at Football Outsiders, they do a "Draft Report Card Report" every year, where they gather the grades given to each team's draft and give a consensus ranking. The Cowboys placed poorly this year, at 28th. You can find it here.

The cool thing is that they revisit it 5 years later to see how it worked out. And here's what they've found:

"It's fair to ask: does any of this really mean anything? And the answer is "probably not." After recapping the 2017 draft a few weeks ago, we broke out the Draft Report Card Report from that year and compared select evaluator's grades to the actual Approximate Value produced by each team's draft class. The good news is that every evaluator finished with a positive correlation—nobody was so wrong that you could make money betting against them. The bad news is that the strongest correlation was just 0.088, which is effectively random noise."

Nobody knows anything.
I didn't have the time to calculate it to prove him wrong but it's obvious to anybody not slurping draft experts that they just talk. Especially if you take out obvious top 5 players. Who cares if Kiper was correct about Calvin Johnson being a top 5 pick? Lol cmon. If there was a study based on draft boards outside of top 5 it would look dreadful. I should say top 10 but I'm giving a little help to the experts.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That's a pretty pointless exaggeration.

It's possible to look at a player different than an analyst, expert, GM, or whoever and still think that other person is smart lol
No one said otherwise but when you disagree on something, you are saying you know better than the other person. It has nothing to do with saying they aren't smart.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I didn't have the time to calculate it to prove him wrong but it's obvious to anybody not slurping draft experts that they just talk. Especially if you take out obvious top 5 players. Who cares if Kiper was correct about Calvin Johnson being a top 5 pick? Lol cmon. If there was a study based on draft boards outside of top 5 it would look dreadful. I should say top 10 but I'm giving a little help to the experts.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/12/15274148/most-nfl-draft-picks-are-busts

Here you go. Only 20% of draft picks are considered good or above, 10% are average, the rest are poor, useless, or never play a game for the team that drafts them. That means all predraft rankings are useless because 70% will not be good picks and no one has a clue which ones will be good. Using them after the fact to proclaim you can do better than those in charge is a pointless joke.

cnuball21

Reaction score
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/4/12/15274148/most-nfl-draft-picks-are-busts

Here you go. Only 20% of draft picks are considered good or above, 10% are average, the rest are poor, useless, or never play a game for the team that drafts them. That means all predraft rankings are useless because 70% will not be good picks and no one has a clue which ones will be good. Using them after the fact to proclaim you can do better than those in charge is a pointless joke.
Sounds about right. So based on the Cowboys draft history of success with leaning more BPA I’d love to see us do that more to try and maximize our hit rate.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Sounds about right. So based on the Cowboys draft history of success with leaning more BPA I’d love to see us do that more to try and maximize our hit rate.
I think everyone would agree that they would rather the team draft BPA. The issue is that their rankings are rarely going to align with consensus rankings because they are using their criteria for each position while the consensus ranking are more general. To them, they are drafting BPA for the most part. They are not reaching way down their board for need. They have those guys near the top of their board as they draft them. Anyone relying on the consensus rankings to develop their opinion of a draft for a specific team, especially one like Dallas who is only looking for certain types of players, is usually going to be disappointed. That has been my point.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think everyone would agree that they would rather the team draft BPA. The issue is that their rankings are rarely going to align with consensus rankings because they are using their criteria for each position while the consensus ranking are more general. To them, they are drafting BPA for the most part. They are not reaching way down their board for need. They have those guys near the top of their board as they draft them. Anyone relying on the consensus rankings to develop their opinion of a draft for a specific team, especially one like Dallas who is only looking for certain types of players, is usually going to be disappointed. That has been my point.
That’s fair to an extent. That’s why I’m fine with Mazi. But for players like Schoon, Joseph, Wright, etc…just waaaaaay too many players ranked higher that I don’t think they can use that excuse for.

Another way to look at my argument would be I do not like or agree with how they stack their board. That’s me saying it without using the word “reach.”

J-man

Reaction score
He’s not just a blocking TE. He can do it all. What’s wrong with you people? Just making crap up, throwing it out there to see if it sticks.
Nothing wrong with me, what's up with you? Who's just making crap up & throwing it out there to see if it sticks? Because every single thing written or said about this kid is that he's a blocking TE, that may/could/hopefully be able to do more. & make no mistake, I really, really hope he can and makes himself worthy of that pick.
But I have to ask you, if he could "do it all" as you say and obviously was such a great prospect, than why was he the 4th te on their board? And how is the 4th te on the board a better prospect and draft pick than a starting caliber O-lineman?

IMO, you saying "he's not just a blocking te", is far more "throw it out and see if it sticks" than what I said.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with me, what's up with you? Who's just making crap up & throwing it out there to see if it sticks? Because every single thing written or said about this kid is that he's a blocking TE, that may/could/hopefully be able to do more. & make no mistake, I really, really hope he can and makes himself worthy of that pick.
But I have to ask you, if he could "do it all" as you say and obviously was such a great prospect, than why was he the 4th te on their board? And how is the 4th te on the board a better prospect and draft pick than a starting caliber O-lineman?

IMO, you saying "he's not just a blocking te", is far more "throw it out and see if it sticks" than what I said.
Because the TE class was that strong.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was ranked higher on the Cowboys board because of his blocking and receiving.......and he will be starting for the Cowboys. They said they wanted to improve the blocking and got a better blocker than their next rated OL.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Pretty much spot on.