Twitter: Ref Tony Corrente on the OPI on Michael Gallup

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No if anything Gallup's arm is behind Ramsey trying to dislodge Ramsey's hand which is grabbing at his shoulder and arm. Nowhere does it show Gallup's arm or hand anywhere near Ramsey's chest.
That's quite the stretch being that you can literally see his hand contacting him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Here. Watch it again. At no point is Gallup's arm held. This was my point. If Ramsey was beat then a push off is not necessary. In fact, Gallup has hands on Ramsey first to slow him down. From Ramsey, there's no pin, there's no hold, there's only positioning which everyone here is saying is allowed. So Gallup could have done a swim move to counter-position and wouldn't have been called. He chose to take a chance and push off probably because it was the easiest thing to do.

That is after Ramsey had his arm pinned. Post the whole play not just the part that makes you right.,

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The play should be reviewable inside 2 mins.
Ramsey sold it after holding Gallup, falling back when MG inevitably pushed him off the arm.
A replay crew would have overturned that.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s wrong too and there’s a long thread in the archives that proves it.

1. Control
2. 2 feet down
3. TIME to make a football move.

That was the rule and all were achieved.

That was actually 2014. He was likely talking about the wrestling moves implored on David Irvin on the last pass by Rodgers.

I know you want to be the bigger man and not complain about refs, but sometimes the facts are make the complaints legitimate. This is that time.

Show me the many threads around here where we compliment the refs on the missed or mickey mouse calls that go our way! It's not the refs fault we only scored 3 points in the entire 2nd half. Blame our offense for that and our coaching for not kicking a tying FG when they had the chance. Stop blaming the refs

Cap12

Reaction score
Bottom line:

There was contact from both players. Gallup had a right to free his arm because Ramsey clearly has his hand on Gallup's shoulder and his arm attempting to pin Gallup's arm. The refs in theory could have flagged Ramsey for Holding or PI (depending on if the ball was in the air, which I believe it was). If you don't make the call on Ramsey (which they didn't), then it should have been a "play on", due to hand-checking on both sides. This was not a blatant foul either way (and quite often not called), so considering the import of the moment the official should have eaten his flag instead of throwing it. As I've said before, Ramsey's flop was the deciding factor in making the call and that should have been flagged (unsportsmanlike conduct) if the play was replay eligible.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's why I didn't get that upset.

Yeah, it was a close call with Gallup, but the missed call on Goff was a clear penalty and we caught a huge break there.
They missed two of the same on Aaron Donald.

So no, it doesn't even out and no, we didn't catch a huge break.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Here’s all you have to do, put yourself In Jalen Ramsey’s shoes and would you feel like you got beat? Or would you feel the guy got away with something?
You would only feel like you got beat right?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Exactly right. Both athletes had an equal chance at the ball. The athlete who engaged in hand play ultimately lost the athletic matchup of both foot speed AND hand play. Result is play on.

conversely you would never expect to get that call if you’re gallup if you never hand checked back either.

Bottom line:

There was contact from both players. Gallup had a right to free his arm because Ramsey clearly has his hand on Gallup's shoulder and his arm attempting to pin Gallup's arm. The refs in theory could have flagged Ramsey for Holding or PI (depending on if the ball was in the air, which I believe it was). If you don't make the call on Ramsey (which they didn't), then it should have been a "play on", due to hand-checking on both sides. This was not a blatant foul either way (and quite often not called), so considering the import of the moment the official should have eaten his flag instead of throwing it. As I've said before, Ramsey's flop was the deciding factor in making the call and that should have been flagged (unsportsmanlike conduct) if the play was replay eligible.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Show me the many threads around here where we compliment the refs on the missed or mickey mouse calls that go our way! It's not the refs fault we only scored 3 points in the entire 2nd half. Blame our offense for that and our coaching for not kicking a tying FG when they had the chance. Stop blaming the refs
I didn’t blame the refs. We’re having a discussion about some of the calls.

Im not sure how that’s hard to understand and how that gets conflated to suit your position.

I asked you to show me the calls, which you said there were “MANY” of, and you didn’t show me. It should be easy for you share two with me.

I’d also argue that missed calls are not the same as made calls. It’s reasonable to assume a ref didn’t see something. To make a judgment call is another thing.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t blame the refs. We’re having a discussion about some of the calls.

Im not sure how that’s hard to understand and how that gets conflated to suit your position.

I asked you to show me the calls, which you said gave us wins, and you didn’t show me. I know why.

I didn't mean you specifically were blaming the refs my comment was menat to be taken as "people in general" like blaming the refs when we lose

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I didn't mean you specifically were blaming the refs my comment was menat to be taken as people "in general people" blame the refs
Ok, but discussing isn’t necessarily blaming and I haven’t heard anyone say that call was why we lost.

Can you tell me some of these calls that went our way? I named 5-6 weird ones that went only against our team and not ever(or extremely rarely if at all) called on another team.

I don’t think we’ve won any in the Dak era off a bad call. I like to be fair and I think I am.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok. Can you tell me some of these calls that went our way? I named 5-6 weird ones that went only against our team and not ever(or extremely rarely if at all) called on another team.

I don’t think we’ve won any in the Dak era off a bad call. I like to be fair and I think I am.

One big one against the Rams was on Goff's INT when he was clearly hit in the head and the refs missed it completley, if they make that call the INT is nullified and the Rams drive continues (who knows what would have happenned) and we don't get the tunrover which by the way turned into 3 points for us.....It was a big play and call that was missed that had an effect on the game at that time

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
One big one against the Rams was on Goff's INT when he was clearly hit in the head and the refs missed it completley, if they make that call the INT is nullified and the Rams drive continues (who knows what would have happenned) and we don't get the tunrover which by the way turned into 3 points for us.....It was a big play and call that was missed that had an effect on the game at that time
Yes.But Can you see that calls that are missed are not the same as calls that are made?

So we got one call on a clear foul, but a foul that did not cause the int. They got a big one at the end of the game that took away a long play and a good catch and thrown.

Refs miss calls. I don’t know if there was an angle showing if the ref could’ve seen that hand to the face.

We could watch tape and see many missed calls. That’s not the same as calling a close call at the end of a close game.

I’m going to ask you again because you said many. I really don’t think that was correct.

Cap12

Reaction score
Exactly right. Both athletes had an equal chance at the ball. The athlete who engaged in hand play ultimately lost the athletic matchup of both foot speed AND hand play. Result is play on.

conversely you would never expect to get that call if you’re gallup if you never hand checked back either.

Ramsey actually had NO chance at the ball because his head was turned the wrong way.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What did he say about not calling hands to the face of Goff or roughing the passer that directly resulted in an INT for us and led to points? Did they bring up the non call holding against Donald about 3 plays after that?
So you root for the other team more since your hatred of Dak is more important? Got it.

Cap12

Reaction score
Here’s all you have to do, put yourself In Jalen Ramsey’s shoes and would you feel like you got beat? Or would you feel the guy got away with something?
You would only feel like you got beat right?
Ramsey is so cocky he'll never feel that he was beaten on any play. Gallop had position on him so he tried to pin Gallup's arm. When that failed, he flopped when Gallup pushes his arm away to draw attention to the contact that he initiates. Gallup is in a Catch 22 because if he allows Ramsey to pin his arm, then he can't get to the ball (and he can't count on getting a flag against Ramsey). If he fights with his arms and gets tangled up, he could get called for OPI (as it happened). In the end, Gallup had superior position and was looking to make a play on the ball, while Ramsey's back was to the play and was trying to pin Gallups's arm and had his hand on Gallup's shoulder. Doesn't it seem like the flag should have gone to Ramsey for DPI?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes.But Can you see that calls that are missed are not the same as calls that are made?

So we got one call on a clear foul, but a foul that did not cause the int. They got a big one at the end of the game that took away a long play and a good catch and thrown.

Refs miss calls. I don’t know if there was an angle showing if the ref could’ve seen that hand to the face.

We could watch tape and see many missed calls. That’s not the same as calling a close call at the end of a close game.

I’m going to ask you again because you said many. I really don’t think that was correct.

Same thing what if there was PI on the Gallop play but the ref's didn't call it? As for the int the play had an effect on the INT Goff was hit just as he thru the ball good play except for the hit to the head that was missed

go to the 8:30 mark

aikemirv

Reaction score
Bottom line:

I agree with you. The optics to the ref were only one way though so I understand the call even if it was wrong. I don't think the ref was in a position to see the arm bar.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It was a bad call, or at least one I wouldn’t make. I think you gotta let them play through.

That said, I can see the argument for why it was made. I think folks should also take solace that two different refs made the same call so it wasn’t like the sideline judge went rogue.

Ramsey sold it which is what cornerbacks will do. Even Gallup said as much:

“Honestly, when you’re playing away, you’ve got to make sure you know you’re playing against the refs and the other team,” Gallup said. “It is what it is. They’re going to call it like they want to call it. We’ve got to keep playing through.

“I could’ve at least tried to pull my arm straight through, but I kept toying with him. I guess I can see it a little bit. I don’t think it was enough (to call).”