Twitter: Ref Tony Corrente on the OPI on Michael Gallup

Cap12

Reaction score
What do you call the area just south of the shoulder area? Because that is what Gallup was touching the whole way and does shove a bit to clear space. That would be called the torso.

That's not what happened. In this GIF, Ramsey doesn't even put his hand on Gallup until after Gallup is ALREADY touching him just below the shoulder area (torso, to the layperson) as the GIF begins. Even then, Ramsey doesn't lock up Gallup's arm so Gallup could have done the underhand swim move to free both hands for the catch.

After initial contact by Gallup he did. He has the right not to run and get pushed the whole way. Hand-checking as you say.

It did happen. Again, you're seeing what you want to see. Gallup's left arm is bent while touching Ramsey the whole way and even initiated the contact if this GIF is to be believed. Then, before disengaging, Gallup straightens his arm to provide the push to gain separation which is how he got into the clear.

Does Gallup's arm go from bent at the elbow to straight just before disengaging with Ramsey whom he was touching the whole way and initiating contact per this video? (Please watch the replay carefully).

Your .gif clearly shows Ramsey's hand on Gallup's shoulder the whole way.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Your .gif clearly shows Ramsey's hand on Gallup's shoulder the whole way.

Now you're just lying. You only see Ramsey's hand move over to touch Gallup after Gallup has had his hand on Ramsey's torso for the entire start and beginning of this clip.

Cap12

Reaction score
Now you're just lying. You only see Ramsey's hand move over to touch Gallup after Gallup has had his hand on Ramsey's torso for the entire start and beginning of this clip.
Your angle on the gif sucks (back angle would show more of what Ramsey was doing, as this view is partially impeded by Gallup's body). Even from that angle, it appears that Ramsey's hand is on Gallups Shoulder trying to pin Gallup's arm.

BTW, "south" of Ramsey's shoulder is his arm. Gallup's "Shove" of Ramsey's arm should not have created the reaction Ramsey's body did.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Your angle on the gif sucks (back angle would show more of what Ramsey was doing, (the view is partially impeded by Gallup's body). Even from that angle, it appears that Ramsey's hand is on Gallops Shoulder trying to pin Gallup's arm.

If you have a better angle, produce it but there's nothing impeding anything here. You see both players clearly. You said Ramsey's hand was "on Gallup's shoulder the whole way." That's a lie because the GIF clearly shows Ramsey's hand move to Gallup's shoulder only after Gallup has been touching him for the entirety of the start of the clip. At least here, it shows Gallup was the aggressor and Ramsey was trying to defend himself. Earlier you said Ramsey initiated contact which is also a lie.

Cap12

Reaction score
Your angle proves nothing (wish there was another one out there). Again, hand-checking was going on. Gallup and Ramsey arms were tangled and Gallup has the right to free himself (as much as Ramsey does), so there was no "shove" to gain space. When Ramsey felt the contact he realized that Gallup had position so he flopped. Plain and simple. Please don't try to tell me that Ramsey's body's reaction was consistent with hands and arms being checked. The reaction was delayed and exaggerated to get a call because he was out of position to make a play (because Gallup knocked his arms away, not shoved him).

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Gallup made no contact with Ramsey's body, so his arms were not extended from Ramsey's body (which would be textbook OPI).

Gallup-Push.jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, you don’t have to shove the defender. The offensive PI is, if what the player does prevents the defender from making a play on the ball. Shoving is one of ways. Nobody is arguing that the DB and the WR can’t hand battle, it’s the extension of the arm that was called and is illegal... Even the referee makes this clear distinction in the tweet, implicitly.

Hand battles don’t create separating, arm extensions do...

phildadon86

Reaction score
What do you call the area just south of the shoulder area? Because that is what Gallup was touching the whole way and does shove a bit to clear space. That would be called the torso.

That's not what happened. In this GIF, Ramsey doesn't even put his hand on Gallup until after Gallup is ALREADY touching him just below the shoulder area (torso, to the layperson) as the GIF begins. Even then, Ramsey doesn't lock up Gallup's arm so Gallup could have done the underhand swim move to free both hands for the catch.

After initial contact by Gallup he did. He has the right not to run and get pushed the whole way. Hand-checking as you say.

It did happen. Again, you're seeing what you want to see. Gallup's left arm is bent while touching Ramsey the whole way and even initiated the contact if this GIF is to be believed. Then, before disengaging, Gallup straightens his arm to provide the push to gain separation which is how he got into the clear.

Does Gallup's arm go from bent at the elbow to straight just before disengaging with Ramsey whom he was touching the whole way and initiating contact per this video? (Please watch the replay carefully).

I watched the replay multiple times. Ramsey had Gallups arm held. For a good portion of that route.

Cap12

Reaction score
Again, you don’t have to shove the defender. The offensive PI is, if what the player does prevents the defender from making a play on the ball. Shoving is one of ways. Nobody is arguing that the DB and the WR can’t hand battle, it’s the extension of the arm that was called and is illegal... Even the referee makes this clear distinction in the tweet, implicitly.

Hand battles don’t create separating, arm extensions do...

That might be true if the defender was trying to make a play on the ball, but his back was turned, so that isn't the case.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Next time A defender holds Gallup’s arm he should just take a dive and act like he got shot so maybe they can throw a PI on the defender..

Also anyone wonder how we can have an owner like Jerry and we get screwed by the refs all the time? His influence with the real people running the league is overrated as well... he’s the guy with the Lambo the other rich kids let hang because he has the coolest car..

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I watched the replay multiple times. Ramsey had Gallups arm held. For a good portion of that route.

Here. Watch it again. At no point is Gallup's arm held. This was my point. If Ramsey was beat then a push off is not necessary. In fact, Gallup has hands on Ramsey first to slow him down. From Ramsey, there's no pin, there's no hold, there's only positioning which everyone here is saying is allowed. So Gallup could have done a swim move to counter-position and wouldn't have been called. He chose to take a chance and push off probably because it was the easiest thing to do.

khiladi

Reaction score
That might be true if the defender was trying to make a play on the ball, but his back was turned, so that isn't the case.

That has nothing to do with the rule as far as I understand it.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2020-nfl-rulebook/#section-5-pass-interference

1. Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball

Last edited:

jblaze2004

Reaction score
This is why everytime the cowboys make a big play i never get excited

as soon as the flag came out i just knew it was holding on us

turns out i was wrong it was just PI on us

Thats how i feel. I can never get excited because I am always waiting on a flag. First I check and make sure no flag and then get happy like 5-10 seconds after the play happened lol.

Cap12

Reaction score
Here. Watch it again. At no point is Gallup's arm held. This was my point. If Ramsey was beat then a push off is not necessary. In fact, Gallup has hands on Ramsey first to slow him down. From Ramsey, there's no pin, there's no hold, there's only positioning which everyone here is saying is allowed. So Gallup could have done a swim move to counter-position and wouldn't have been called. He chose to take a chance and push off probably because it was the easiest thing to do.

You're only watching Gallup's arm, not what Ramsey is doing with his hand and arm. Ramsey is clearly in contact with Gallup and Gallup is simply shrugging Ramsey's arm off of his. Once Gallup is successful and Ramsey realizes he's going to be beaten, Ramsey flops. The delay and exaggeration of Ramsey's motion is obvious in the replay.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You're only watching Gallup's arm, not what Ramsey is doing with his hand and arm. Ramsey is clearly in contact with Gallup and Gallup is simply shrugging Ramsey's arm off of his. Once Gallup is successful and Ramsey realizes he's going to be beaten, Ramsey flops. The delay and exaggeration of Ramsey's motion is obvious in the replay.

What Ramsey did with his arm is in reaction to Gallup already having a hand in his chest, probably to slow his pursuit. So Ramsey dipped his arm underneath and also uses the back of his hand on Gallup's shoulder. When Gallup pushes Ramsey off, Ramsey comes away from Gallup's shoulder and that provides the clearance for the ball to drop in. Again see what you want to see but Ramsey doesn't go from being on Gallup's shoulder to off it because he pulled up. Gallup shoved him a bit and did so with an outstretched arm as I captured in that photo. 2 officials were in position to see that: the one you see in my photo and 1 further up the sideline that actually threw the flag.

Cap12

Reaction score
What Ramsey did with his arm is in reaction to Gallup already having a hand in his chest, probably to slow his pursuit. So Ramsey dipped his arm underneath and also uses the back of his hand on Gallup's shoulder. When Gallup pushes Ramsey off, Ramsey comes away from Gallup's shoulder and that provides the clearance for the ball to drop in. Again see what you want to see but Ramsey doesn't go from being on Gallup's shoulder to off it because he pulled up. Gallup shoved him a bit and did so with an outstretched arm as I captured in that photo. 2 officials were in position to see that: the one you see in my photo and 1 further up the sideline that actually threw the flag.
Your clip shows none of that so you are speculating. I saw no evidence that Gallup had a hand in the chest and neither did you. The replays showed on NBC had both the retired official in the booth and a Former All-Pro WR questioning the call after seeing the replay. After seeing the replay on TV I agreed.