Twitter: Referee Brad Allen on the 2 point conversion Illegal Touch call

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I posted in another thread, the problem is the Lions were trying to be sneaky about it, which places the blame squarely on them.

They wanted to be as quiet about it as possible to sneak it by the Cowboys defense and in doing so they snuck it by the referee as well.

The thing no one is talking about is that the Cowboys defense were not told he was eligible, which is likely why the play actually worked as no one on the defense was expecting him to run a route.

Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, the problem is the Lions were trying to be sneaky about it, which places the blame squarely on them.

They wanted to be as quiet about it as possible to sneak it by the Cowboys defense and in doing so they snuck it by the referee as well.

The thing no one is talking about is that the Cowboys defense were not told he was eligible, which is likely why the play actually worked as no one on the defense was expecting him to run a route.
,,, and then Micah turns around and gives them the penalty yardage back so they basically get a "redo".

LovinItAll

Reaction score

Exactly. Had we been told #68 was eligible, he would’ve been covered.

The entire sequence was a Detroit problem.

- They sent three guys up to the ref when only one needed to be anywhere in the vicinity of the ref
- #68 had the responsibility of ensuring that the ref understood he was declaring himself eligible. That’s usually an announcement, but in the absence of that, it’s still 68’s job
- They tried to get tricky and outsmarted themselves

Aside from all that, the #88 fumble into the end zone and the phantom tripping call were the only reasons the Lions were in the game to begin with. Last week, we had blatant defensive annd offensive holding non-calls that cost us a football game (and a RB who couldn’t break a weak arm tackle at the goal line).

plymkr

Reaction score
,,, and then Micah turns around and gives them the penalty yardage back so they basically get a "redo".
Right. It wasn’t like they turned the ball over on downs. We still had to successfully defend another goal line play. And we did. And we won.

This reminds me of the time on thanksgiving when the Steelers were ironically playing the Lions. It went to overtime and for the coin toss Bettis said Tails and the other Steeler said heads. When the Steelers lost the coin flip they complained the ref heard Bettis wrong, but you can hear heads and tails being called.

I feel like the Lions tried the same trick by having 3 linemen say report at the same time. It didn’t work for them. And if the ref did mishandle it why didn’t the Lions correct it before the snap. They had over 20 seconds on the play clock. They got busted out on their own failed trickery.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I don’t care if they tried to be sneaky, if the refs designated the wrong player the refs designated the wrong player.

Who knows what was heard but 68 was sent to declare by Goff and is standing right there with the ref. Hard to imagine he didn’t attempt to. My guess is the official misattributed it to 70.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

totally agree. I think the Lions were trying to pull a fast one. It was obvious that the ref focused entirely on #70 and not #68. Which means that #68 did not do enough to get the refs attention.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don’t care if they tried to be sneaky, if the refs designated the wrong player the refs designated the wrong player.

Who knows what was heard but 68 was sent to declare by Goff and is standing right there with the ref. Hard to imagine he didn’t attempt to. My guess is the official misattributed it to 70.
No he didn't. The ref was completely focused on 70. #68 did nothing to inform the refs that he was eligible. The ref then told the defense that #70 was eligible. Look at the film. #68 did nothing to get the refs attention.

Kwyn

Reaction score

This is absolutely crucial. You can see the ref onto the D and explain who is eligible.

The D isn’t psychic. They call their alignment and play based on what the ref tells them

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Declaring yourself eligible can't be an ambiguous thing for a lineman. The Lions seem to have been trying to be sneaky about it. The first thing the ref did when the "eligible" status was claimed by the Lions, was to walk to the Cowboys D-line and inform them which number is reporting as eligible, which was #70, not #68.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Sneaky doesn't work when the ref announces over a microphone to 100k people, what you are doing, then goes to the opposing team and tell them what you are doing.

There should have been a 3rd penalty called for illegal man downfield.

Lewis confirmed they would have accounted for him, if he would have been eligible.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No he didn't. The ref was completely focused on 70. #68 did nothing to inform the refs that he was eligible. The ref then told the defense that #70 was eligible. Look at the film. #68 did nothing to get the refs attention.
What’s he supposed to do and beyond approaching the official, what did 70 do?

If you can’t stand next a ref and verbally declare yourself eligible, the rule is just stupid to begin with. That either happened or it didn’t and no amount of looking at video will determine if 68 told the official. Maybe game sounds will have it later in the week.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you can’t stand next a ref and verbally declare yourself eligible, the rule is just stupid to begin with. That either happened or it didn’t and no amount of looking at video will determine if 68 told the official. Maybe game sounds will have it later in the week.
The fault though falls on the player. It is the player's job to clearly inform the referee they are reporting as eligible and confirm the referee received it.

From the quote I read, Decker said he went to the referee and said "report". That was it. That is what he later said he said to the referee.

That combined with having 3 linemen all approach the referee at the same time makes it very clear the Lions were trying to be sneaky and confuse the defense and in the process confused the referee.

You can blame the referee, and I would not be surprised if he misheard who was eligible, but when you have 3 linemen approach the referee including one (#70) running from the sideline straight to the referee, it's very understandable that the referee believed #70 was the one reporting as eligible.

Sometimes coaches outsmart the wrong people and in this case, it seems like that's what happened.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to be lucky. Every Super Bowl team can point to a pivotal lucky play that changed their season. This could be ours if the Eagles lose one of the next two games and we beat the Commanders for the division, giving us home-field in the first playoff round.

BTW ...........All 3 coaches, Campbell, McCarthy and Quinn owe their teams apologies

**** Campbell...... a fine line between courage and stupidity. One thing to go for two from inside the five-yard line but from the 7/8?
**** McCarthy......I have avoided commentating on coaches play-calling but damn Mike. You were already in FG range why not keep the clock moving and force them to burn timeouts?
****Quinn.......How the hell do you keep a team out of the end zone the entire game and go completely soft on the final drive? They pretty much scored on the final drive uncontested.

So yes, we won despite all three of these yahoos trying to give the game away........lucky for us.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

All he said was "report". It's loud on the field and the ref was not looking at him, he has to make sure the ref heard him and is clear about what is going on, this is a big moment in the game, on the road. Something like "68 reporting as eligible" and make sure and get some kind of confirmation he heard you. making eye contact, a head nod, thumbs up, something. It's the player's responsibility to ensure the ref is aware. The ref made the announcement over the microphone to the entire stadium #70 reporting as eligible. Decker or someone from the Lions should have caught that, ST coach or asst coach? They would have had time to correct the ref or at the very least change the play call in the huddle before going to the LOS.