Twitter: Refs bailing like the Titanic from the NFL

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dang :( Three of my favourite refs are gone. Gene and Terry were always about as unbiased as you get when it came to officiating. I rarely had a bad thing to say about those two when they would ref a Cowboys game, even when they would call an infraction on us. As for Ed, well, you know lol. Tripplette was always fun to listen to, but yeah, he's one I'm not surprised to see exit. I do hope that the NFL gets more unbiased refs like Gene and Terry.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dang :( Three of my favourite refs are gone. Gene and Terry were always about as unbiased as you get when it came to officiating. I rarely had a bad thing to say about those two when they would ref a Cowboys game, even when they would call an infraction on us. As for Ed, well, you know lol. Tripplette was always fun to listen to, but yeah, he's one I'm not surprised to see exit. I do hope that the NFL gets more unbiased refs like Gene and Terry.

Egads, mate. Are you new around here or sumfin'? The only unbiased officials are ones calling infractions against our opponents and never against us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Egads, mate. Are you new around here or sumfin'? The only unbiased officials are ones calling infractions against our opponents and never against us.

Haha, you know me. I don't mind officials calling penalties against us as long as they generally call the same infractions/make the same calls generally against other teams as well. It's when they draw penalties that haven't been enforced in decades or completely overdo the penalties that bothers me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Turnover is good IMO. I've not been a big fan of NFL officiating. Now that Silver has taken over the NBA, I find the NFL officiating to be the least credible. Of course that starts from the top with Goodell but I'll take what I can get.

I do like the officiating turnover. I do think it helps there, but I also hope that the fresh crop of referees manage to not detract from the game any further than the game has detracted from itself already.

GenoT

Reaction score
NFL refs are older guys with leisure time, who are not full-time professionals but who ref games for s—ts and giggles.

By using low-cost amateur refs, the NFL and the NFLPA save a few dimes, sure...but that’s why we end up with games being decided by blind old men — who can’t get it right on the field in the first place — having their mistakes supported after-the-fact by arcane rulings, such as the Tuck Rule, which began the Brady Era, or the just-rewritten receiving rule which, in its previously ridiculous form, put us on the wrong end of Catch/No Catch in 2014.

Put all these current fuggs in a sack and drown ‘em...then go out and hire/train — and hold accountable — some full-time profe$$ional referees.

erod

Reaction score
I do like the officiating turnover. I do think it helps there, but I also hope that the fresh crop of referees manage to not detract from the game any further than the game has detracted from itself already.

Keep in mind, most of the penalties called in a game aren't from the head referee. He's just the guy who gets to talk on the microphone and be on TV.

erod

Reaction score
NFL refs are older guys with leisure time, who are not full-time professionals but who ref games for s—ts and giggles.

By using low-cost amateur refs, the NFL and the NFLPA save a few dimes, sure...but that’s why we end up with games being decided by blind old men — who can’t get it right on the field in the first place — having their mistakes supported after-the-fact by arcane rulings, such as the Tuck Rule, which began the Brady Era, or the just- rewritten receiving rule which, in its previously ridiculous form, put us on the wrong end of Catch/No Catch in 2014.

Put all these current fuggs in a sack and drown ‘em...then go out and hire/train — and hold accountable — full-time profe$$ional referees.

You mean like the NBA? Those guys are much worse.

GenoT

Reaction score
You mean like the NBA? Those guys are much worse.
I follow both sports closely and the NBA isn’t even in the ballpark, compared to NFL officials, as being the most incompetent in all of pro sports.

They got 7 guys out there and have to look at replays — whether from challenges or by league decree — about every third-fourth play or so, and they STILL get the call wrong as often as not.