Video: Refs Taunting calls overboard?

Cydios

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you watched Monday Night Football, but Ref Tony Corrente called a flag for taunting to pretty much giving the Steelers the game. Also to add, Corrente called a flag on stating the player bumped into him when in fact Corrente leaned into him as he passed.

Dallas has been hit with a bunch of bogus calls, Touchdowns that should have been, even non calls. Officials are getting overboard. What are your thoughts?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The ref said the flag was for the taunting, not the bump.

“First of all, keep in mind that taunting is a point of emphasis this year,” Corrente said. “And with that said, I saw the player, after he made a big play, run toward the bench area of the Pittsburgh Steelers and posture in such a way that I felt he was taunting them.”

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I call BS on that, he threw the flag after he bumped him.

What was the announcement of the penalty in the game? Bumping an official is not "taunting, number 59." I didn't see the game so I'm asking what the refs announced over the microphone.

Reaction score
What was the announcement of the penalty in the game? Bumping an official is not "taunting, number 59." I didn't see the game so I'm asking what the refs announced over the microphone.
They interviewed Corrente after the game.

He said the player after the play did some kind of roundhouse kick. Then stopped and stared at the Pittsbugh bench. He didn't say anything. But the stare was enough for the taunting flag.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They interviewed Corrente after the game.

He said the player after the play did some kind of roundhouse kick. Then stopped and stared at the Pittsbugh bench. He didn't say anything. But the stare was enough for the taunting flag.

Well, he hardly stopped to stare at the bench. He went towards the bench as Corrente said. I think it's a dumb call but you can't straddle the line between "will they or won't they?" in a game if you're a player.

What I want to know is, why does Goodell hate the Bears? Lol.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think verbal jabbing should not be considered taunting. Part of the game. Now making physical contact, or going up to another player or team on the sideline should be considered, but just calling someone out on the field and the ref overhearing this is certainly not taunting in my opinion. but that is what its come down to. Refs using their discretion to call it or not call it is the problem. They are not consistent and that is what pisses players off.

Cydios

Reaction score
Well, he hardly stopped to stare at the bench. He went towards the bench as Corrente said. I think it's a dumb call but you can't straddle the line between "will they or won't they?" in a game if you're a player.

I'm no fan of either, but Bears got hit with phantom calls and their QB got lit up well after the ball was gone and no call was made.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Bears player was walking toward the Steelers sideline and his body language made it appear he was jawing or taunting. The tainting calls have clearly gotten out of hand. It’s something that needs to be addressed at the league meetings.

Reaction score

That call turned the game. Pittsburgh was about to punt. Instead, they kept the ball and scored, extending their lead

Fans don't want refs deciding games. That was a critical call

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
YES!!!! The taunting call last night was RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!! Considering it's Corrente, I'm not shocked, but it was RIDICULOUS!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Bears player was walking toward the Steelers sideline making it appear he was jawing or taunting. The tainting calls have clearly gotten out of hand. It’s something that needs to be addressed at the league meetings.

Don't worry, they'll address it when the season ends. It'll culminate with an "apology" to a team that gets screwed in the postseason with it. An apology that they can stick up their *** with the good it does that team's season.