Video: Refs Taunting calls overboard?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
How about when you're walking towards their bench as you do it? I mean, come on. Just because you don't like the rule doesn't mean you risk your team's win to push the limits in that situation. Dumb decision.

But in this case the bench is like 40 feet away. So now walking towards the bench of your opponent from a distance is considered taunting?

The mere fact that people are arguing about this shows how very convoluted and messed up this rule really is....

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But in this case the bench is like 40 feet away. So now walking towards the bench of your opponent from a distance is considered taunting?

The mere fact that people are arguing about this shows how very convoluted and messed up this rule really is....

Well, no. You said just glaring and I corrected that to include "and walking towards their bench." It was less than 40 yards away and he was the only one there. No need for that and it helped to cost his team the game. Even his own coaches were getting on him about it. They knew it was unnecessary. And it was. Costly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The ref said the flag was for the taunting, not the bump.

“First of all, keep in mind that taunting is a point of emphasis this year,” Corrente said. “And with that said, I saw the player, after he made a big play, run toward the bench area of the Pittsburgh Steelers and posture in such a way that I felt he was taunting them.”

People *say* a lot of things. It's often just rationalization.

Authoritah.0.jpg

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Well, no. You said just glaring and I corrected that to include "and walking towards their bench." It was less than 40 yards away and he was the only one there. No need for that and it helped to cost his team the game. Even his own coaches were getting on him about it. They knew it was unnecessary. And it was. Costly.

I don't know if you were watching but the coach that initially chewed him out was seen later apologizing to him after they saw the replay and got info from their own booth.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I don't know if you were watching but the coach that initially chewed him out was seen later apologizing to him after they saw the replay and got info from their own booth.

I didn't see the game, only the highlight of the foul and the coach yelling. But how did they know the coach was apologizing to him versus just not yelling at him the second time? Were they lip reading?

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Apparently the NFL thinks it’s bad to use words or gestures to annoy your opponent but it’s fine with them if you actually physically choke an opponent’s wide receiver when he is lying on the ground after a play.
Tell em about it!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Bears getting the Cowboys treatment from the refs, LOL.

Phantom flags wiping out a big return, QB getting slammed to the ground and no call, yet opposing QB gets farted on and 8 flags are on the field, bogus taunting interpretation, ect...

See, us Cowboy fans are used to it, hell we dam well expect it!!! But the Bears, they are in a state of shock over it, LOL.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
how old are these idiot running their mouths and jumping around like crackheads? I'd rather watch football.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I didn't see the game, only the highlight of the foul and the coach yelling. But how did they know the coach was apologizing to him versus just not yelling at him the second time? Were they lip reading?

No, the announcers didn't mention the second interaction, but you could see he was patting him on the back and the coach's demeanor, in my opinion was 'ok dude, i saw the replay and it was BS.'

My opinion though, nothing definitive,

plymkr

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you watched Monday Night Football, but Ref Tony Corrente called a flag for taunting to pretty much giving the Steelers the game. Also to add, Corrente called a flag on stating the player bumped into him when in fact Corrente leaned into him as he passed.

Dallas has been hit with a bunch of bogus calls, Touchdowns that should have been, even non calls. Officials are getting overboard. What are your thoughts?

I feel if a player makes contact with a ref then he gets ejected so if a ref makes contact with a player then he should be suspended for the next game. If all things being equal then that ref doesn't hip check that LBer if the LBer can retaliate. I feel what happened is completely unacceptable and I'm disappointed, but not surprised, the NFL backed him. Ridiculous.

Scotman

Reaction score
I don't think I could care much less about the Bears. That said, that simply wasn't taunting. If I was watching that game and the opposing player "acted" like that, it wouldn't even register as offensive. Literally every celebration qualifies as a penalty if that was a penalty.