Refs weren’t the Reason we lost that game?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Wasn't that blocked punt on the drive where they called the phantom tripping call on Tyron?

iu

erod

Reaction score
What a stupid comment to make! The refs darn sure might have been the reason we lost that game!!! We will never know for sure. If they don’t call the phantom tripping penalty we just might go down and score the game winning TD.
1 penalty in the later stages of a game can definitely change the outcome of a game.
Maybe not the only reason, but they were a great big damn big one.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That call sucked, but the Cowboys still had another 50+ yards to go and hadn't scored a TD all night. It's not like it took a TD off the board.

Oh, and why were they trailing? Because they couldn't protect the punter, got it blocked, and gave New England a 10 yard "drive" for the only TD of the game.

But let's forget all of that and cry about the refs. Just another night of excuses for the 21st century Cowboys. :rolleyes:
I’m not making excuses. I’m saying the 2 phantom tripping penalties possibly changed the out come of the game.
Just like dumb coaching( see Jason Garrett) can change the out come of a game so can bad officiating, especially late in a game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Coaching is the number one reason we lost.

I'm more aggravated that Dallas went for the FG at the end than that trash penalty call. With just over 6 minutes left 4th and 7. What's easier? Getting that 4th and 7 or stopping the Patriots and having to go the distance and score a TD? The game was over when they kicked that FG.

Fire407

Reaction score
The tripping penalties were really bad calls, but there is no certainty at all that we would have continued to drive down the field for a TD when we hadn't scored one all day. Also, for people here saying the crew on the field was trying to screw us, why did they call the 4th down play a catch and a first down? It took the booth review to get it overturned. Also, they called the Patriots for pass interference on our second drive when the ball may have been tipped. They could have easily said it was a tipped ball and not have given us the first down.

sideon

Reaction score
Three things, lost the turnover battle, poor situational coaching, and some awful calls at key times.
Didn't the Cowboys get away with a couple PIs? Blaming officiating only excuses poor coaching and poor play. The reason the Cowboys lost is simple
1.Bad coaching
2.Bad offense
3.Can't stop the run in critical situations
4.ST is horrible
5.IT'S BILL *** BELICHICK!!!!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Didn't the Cowboys get away with a couple PIs? Blaming officiating only excuses poor coaching and poor play. The reason the Cowboys lost is simple
1.Bad coaching
2.Bad offense
3.Can't stop the run in critical situations
4.ST is horrible
5.IT'S BILL *** BELICHICK!!!!
It was wet and cold, we were up against the #1 defense, and the #1 coach, mistakes are to be expected, that is football, but the refs phantom calls in crucial do or die situations shouldn't be another obsticle. There needs to be some sort of checks and balances system implemented that keeps bad reffing from determining games.

NickZepp

Reaction score
There was 2 phantom tripping penatlies. Both took potential drives off the table. They didn't really call PI all game then call about 2 in one drive that gave New England a FG. Really you can't blame coaching too much in this one. The only coaching mistake I really saw was kicking the 46 yard FG in the first quarter but there's not guarantee we put up points even if we make the 4th and 7 there. Anyone complaining about coaching in this one I really don't see it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Brady got hit late on, I believe, the sideline throw with Jones right by the TD that would have given the Patriots a whole new set of downs in Dallas territory.

Their backup FG kicker missed two FGs.

Dallas out-gained Patriots, because Brady kneeled two times for losses and then chucked up a pass to burn time of the clock when it should have been zero, but the time ended at 1. And then Dak throws a 13 yard pass instead of throwing a hail Mary.

Last edited:

efh313

Reaction score
It was always going to be a one possession game. They robbed us of that possession and a possibly great ending of a game in the NFL that the Cowboys earned the chance to finish.
That may be the most diplomatic and judicious summation of what happened. I was unable to say that immediately post game... hell Im still so upset I don’t think I could have said it that well!
:clap::clap::clap:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is only one reason we lost this game. coaching

NickZepp

Reaction score
There is only one reason we lost this game. coaching
What coaching did we do wrong this game? The only real mistake I would say was a coaching mistake was kicking the FG early in the 1st but going for that 4th down isn't gonna give a score for sure. To me we were probably just as well coached as they were. They just got the breaks at the end. They made a play when we didn't in the red zone.

Also our offensive line is trash right now It couldn't run block for **** most of the game and put us behind the 8 ball. There may be a need to rebuild there soon.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Yes they were. If you are going to assess all dynamics of the game
Our QB vs their QB
Our Defense vs their Defense
Our Offense vs their Offense
Our ST vs their ST
Out coaching vs their coaching
The weather

Then you have to count for the refs and their calls
How many bogus calls did the Pats get?
How many did we get?

Why was a perfectly played 3rd&1 competed pass cancelled?
Did their defense do it? did their coaches do it? did the weather do it?

We were in perfect shape and things going as planned and they could not stop us
Who stopped us?

People need to stop listening to "fill the airwaves" talk heads on radio/tv/online and always dismiss the refs and their performance.

Refs are a HUGE factor in every sport and single-handedly can alter any match outcome ... in any sport

The powers that be will always try to talk people/fans out of this huge topic so they do not lose confidence of the product, esp betting universe

:cool:

Creeper

Reaction score
I am getting pretty sick of hearing how the Cowboys only scored 9 points yesterday as if the weather had nothing to do with that. The Patriots only scored 13 and got 10 of those points by moving the football about 15 yards. The weather was clearly a factor in the game for both teams. My only problems with the offense yesterday were the poor performances by Cooper and Witten and the weird play calling in the Red Zone. It seems whenever they get in the Red Zone lately, they go to a lot of trick plays and they never work. You can tell they don't practice those plays enough. I think Cooper is still not 100%.

I get it, the Cowboys special teams were horrible and this has been a factor all year. Blame the special teams coach. But, if the ST have been a factor throughout the season then whose responsibility was it to fix that problem? Garrett's? or Jerry's? I get not wanting to change the HC midway through a season when your team is still leading the division. But I have no doubt changing ST coaching during a season is not going to hurt that much and might actually help.

I don't know if the tripping call on Frederick altered the final score of the game, but I do know that call was very iffy and a call like that should not be made at that point in any game. I am certain if that call was not made no one, not even New England, would be complaining that the refs missed a tripping call there. The refs have to remember the game situation. Considering the refs made two tripping calls in this game, a 1st for me in 50 years of watching football, I have to believe that they were looking for it. Perhaps someone tipped them off that the Cowboys do that a lot? Maybe technically what Frederick did is tripping, but to me tripping is when you stick your leg out trying to actually trip the guy, not use your hip of thigh to block a guy. If that's tripping them we should be seeing flags flying all over the place every game.

Considering that call negated a 1st down, and momentum, the ref should have kept the flag in his pocket. The Cowboys still needed 62 yards to get the TD, but they were moving the football, had 3 time outs, and had 1:40 left on the clock. Another potential great ending to a football game fans were deprived of by the refs.

jsb357

Reaction score
The team was not prepared again.

The refs stalled two drives in a close game.

The players were overwhelmed by the weather.

JMech

Reaction score
What a stupid comment to make! The refs darn sure might have been the reason we lost that game!!! We will never know for sure. If they don’t call the phantom tripping penalty we just might go down and score the game winning TD.
1 penalty in the later stages of a game can definitely change the outcome of a game.

Ifs and buts........really?

aikemirv

Reaction score
What coaching did we do wrong this game? The only real mistake I would say was a coaching mistake was kicking the FG early in the 1st but going for that 4th down isn't gonna give a score for sure. To me we were probably just as well coached as they were. They just got the breaks at the end. They made a play when we didn't in the red zone.

Also our offensive line is trash right now It couldn't run block for **** most of the game and put us behind the 8 ball. There may be a need to rebuild there soon.

Yeah, other than special teams coaching I have no problem with the decisions.

The FG in the end instead of going for it on 4th and 7 - I had no confidence in us scoring there

3rd and 1 pass - we don't run block well on 3rd and short.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
It was the refs, Garrett is a master coach now, he had belicheat destroyed until the refs came in and saved the pats.