Refs weren’t the Reason we lost that game?

SacredStar

Reaction score
Disagree. This is good defense and it tough to continuously execute and get bs calls over turn the play.

One missed tripping call was bad. But two is unheard of. I’m guess it was the same guy calling both. Tripping calls are not even a common call. I doubt if there has been more than a couple handfuls this year.
It was the same ref, and also the same ref that called a questionable hold on Smith that negated a first down pass to Cooper. One ref made 3 questionable calls that stopped Dallas' momentum and added 10 yards which Dallas was not able to convert.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a stupid comment to make! The refs darn sure might have been the reason we lost that game!!! We will never know for sure. If they don’t call the phantom tripping penalty we just might go down and score the game winning TD.
1 penalty in the later stages of a game can definitely change the outcome of a game.
Here's the thing. When you play a close game and put yourself in a position where everything has to go just right to win, any one thing can go wrong and you lose. Yes, it was a terrible awful call. But it "decided the game" because the Cowboys were in a position where they couldn't afford a bad call or a dropped pass or any sort of error.

They lost the game because they played it safe all day long. They made field goal attempts on 4th and 5, 4th and 6 and 4th and 7 so that at the end of the game they would have to convert on 4th and 11.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What are some of the calls we got away with? Were any rare (7 called all year 2 on us) like tripping? Or as impactful had they been called?

We can attempt to fix some of our other problems. I don’t see how we can prepare to stop these strange calls from having a large impact on the game.
I recall a pass play on 3rd down where the defender was there early that could have been called.
But they did convert, and it was brought back because of the phantom tripping penalty. It's hard enough to convert a third down, especially against a team like the Patriots. That fake tripping penalty forced the Cowboys to do it twice, first time it worked, second time it didn't.

I agree they should have overcame it and made the play they needed to, but you can't absolve the refs just because you hate Garrett. I don't like the coaching either but the refs forced the Cowboys to try to do the same thing twice, second time even tougher.
Oh, I don't absolve the Refs. They are ruining the game and I blame Goodell for letting it get to this point. You must see that just about every team in the league is suffering from poor officiating.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
You must see that just about every team in the league is suffering from poor officiating.

Yes, everyone sees it and the NFL needs to do something about it. As I said in another post, I don't think that ref was out to get the Cowboys, he was just an over officious jerk. He made a call when there was no reason to make one. It wasn't even close to being tripping.

My point is, and yes it happens to other teams as well, is that those types calls can really change a game. The earlier phantom tripping call on Tyron that resulted in the blocked punt and TD for the Pats caused the Cowboys to try to convert a 3rd and 23 instead of a 3rd and 13. Doesn't mean the Cowboys would have converted the 3rd and 13 but the refs made it a lot tougher with the phantom tripping penalty.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea. If the Cowboys don't hand the Patriots 10 points with two costly mistakes in our own territory a blown call has less impact.
Very true. I think we all can agree on that.

But what I’m saying, and this is specifically my point, is that these rare blown calls can’t be prepared for. There is nothing the team can do better to make them not happen.

The other issues can be. In theory.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I recall a pass play on 3rd down where the defender was there early that could have been called.

Oh, I don't absolve the Refs. They are ruining the game and I blame Goodell for letting it get to this point. You must see that just about every team in the league is suffering from poor officiating.
Ok. Could have. So it was a common judgement call that we see often in football.

The tripping calls are not and the trip didn’t happen. At all. Neither was close to a trip.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Ok. Could have. So it was a common judgement call that we see often in football.

The tripping calls are not and the trip didn’t happen. At all. Neither was close to a trip.
I agree with on the bad tripping calls, the better teams overcome that stuff.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I agree with on the bad tripping calls, the better teams overcome that stuff.
Yeah but one of those was late in the game and made a converted 1st down a 3rd and 11 against a good defense. That basically says you aren't overcoming that. The other tripping play took away a long pass play to Cooper if I'm not mistaken. That could have led to points. It was a 3rd and 20+ after that play.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
The refs didn’t cost us the game. Every team gets bad calls.

Only scoring 9 points, turnovers on offense and terrible special teams play cost us the game.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yeah but one of those was late in the game and made a converted 1st down a 3rd and 11 against a good defense. That basically says you aren't overcoming that. The other tripping play took away a long pass play to Cooper if I'm not mistaken. That could have led to points. It was a 3rd and 20+ after that play.
The blocked punt, missed FG, poor coaching decisions and pick? Any bearing on the game? The Cowboys needed to play mistake free football yesterday. They didn't need to be perfect, but they had to win the TO battle and not make mental mistakes. Failed.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Very true. I think we all can agree on that.

But what I’m saying, and this is specifically my point, is that these rare blown calls can’t be prepared for. There is nothing the team can do better to make them not happen.

The other issues can be. In theory.

Don't get yourself into a position where one call kills you. Dallas was in that position because they gifted the Patriots 10 points.

You're right that you can't prepare for bad calls. All the more reason to make sure you're prepared for everything else. The Cowboys, once again, were not.

CB61

Reaction score
What a stupid comment to make! The refs darn sure might have been the reason we lost that game!!! We will never know for sure. If they don’t call the phantom tripping penalty we just might go down and score the game winning TD.
1 penalty in the later stages of a game can definitely change the outcome of a game.
You are correct several teams in the NFL have to overcome some bad calls they were just bad timing and to boot they were terrible terrible terrible calls I have no idea what the hell anybody saw their I just watch them over and over again a few minutes ago but that's what you get with this NFL officiating we had other opportunities you are correct

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Don't get yourself into a position where one call kills you. Dallas was in that position because they gifted the Patriots 10 points.

You're right that you can't prepare for bad calls. All the more reason to make sure you're prepared for everything else. The Cowboys, once again, were not.
You know what??

You're right.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Didn't the Cowboys get away with a couple PIs? Blaming officiating only excuses poor coaching and poor play. The reason the Cowboys lost is simple
1.Bad coaching
2.Bad offense
3.Can't stop the run in critical situations
4.ST is horrible
5.IT'S BILL *** BELICHICK!!!!

Don't believe the officiating was close to balancing out and ultimately impacted the outcome. But yes as mentioned there were additional reasons that impacted the loss.

irving

Reaction score
Swap head coaches and Dallas wins that game going away, coaches are that important in the NFL. Just look at the Steelers, they lost their starting quarterback and their number one receiver and they have the same record as Dallas. Anyone here think Garrett would be 6-5 with Dak and Amari out of the lineup?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
- coaches ( kellen) that stop running zeke and takes him out game in red zone

- and coaches ( Marinelli) that sit out his best two pass rushers ( phillips, DLaw) during critical drives and red zone situations

- and yet another heckly and jeckly game dysfunction from our special team

:thumbdown:

Not sure that was Kellen. Looked like Zeke might have signaled out, not sure there.

I am sure of this though, this should have been a 30 carry game for Zeke.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If only the refs would have just called the usual phantom call.....I think holding is their favorite. This whole "tripping"..TWO of them....well sheds a big bright light on them. A phantom hold would have just been business as usual.

Yep...we didn't play great. Gave them a TD, didn't have the grit to go for the TD. Fine. But I don't get how ANY of that is an excuse for officials to make such suspect calls. I don't care of it's a win OR a loss. "Tripping"? Kidding.... right?

Next time, NFL refs...do yourselves a favor and just stick to the usual holding.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
There is only one reason we lost this game. coaching
Did you know there can be, and often is more than 1 reason a team losses a game. The refs definitely played a huge part in us losing that game. They stalled 2 of our 4-5 drives in the 4th quarter!