Twitter: Remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs were 1st round picks except Brock Purdy

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I recall at one time that about 80% of winning SB QB’s were 1st round picks. But when I was looking up data to support this I ran across this article which was startling .

There have been 38 quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2011, the year the NFL changed the collective bargaining agreement to set a wage scale for rookie deals, making it extremely affordable to draft a quarterback.

If winning a Super Bowl is too finite a goal (and only one quarterback on his rookie deal has led his team to the Super Bowl) then we can expand to being one of the four final teams in the postseason. Besides Mahomes:

Three others led their teams to a Super Bowl appearance (Burrow, Goff, Newton — who was not on his rookie deal at the time).

Three others led their teams to a Conference Championship Game (Bortles, Luck, Allen).

This of course focuses on winning in Rookie deal but later in the article it also discusses how it’s actually more likely in recent years to acquire an aging QB , former 1st rd pick , to win a SB.

Very insightful article which opened my eyes. Good read!!

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...t-round-qbs-makes-lamar-jacksons-case-for-him

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

LOL....what's not being said is this is the first year with this many 1st round QBs in the final 8 that I can remember. What was it last year? Mayfield and Goffs were run off their original teams......what does that say?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's almost insane that our FO ignores the most important position in football. It's like they think they're outsmarting the rest of the NFL finding their QBs in the later rounds (or UDFA). I'm sure they think they fleeced San Fran giving them a 4th round pick for Lance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's almost insane that our FO ignores the most important position in football. It's like they think they're outsmarting the rest of the NFL finding their QBs in the later rounds (or UDFA). I'm sure they think they fleeced San Fran giving them a 4th round pick for Lance.
I mean they did when you factor in the 49ers spent two first round picks on him lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And interestingly since 2014 three of the 4 1st round QB’s who have won the SB were acquired thru trade. Brady, Manning and Stafford.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Draft status means nothing as proof by Purdy…..Dak didn’t lose to the Packers because he was a 4th round pick lol.
What’s actually more important is the team you build around them.

Most highly drafted 1st round picks go to crappy teams which is why the bust rate is so high for these 1st round picks.

Even a mediocre team provides a better opportunity for these 1st round picks to succeed.