CFZ Remember: Jerry doesn’t think like we do

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure 99.9% of the Cowboys fans here on the Zone want to win a championship badly. We all have a hunger to see another Lombardi join the storied collection of the 5 others. There are dozens and dozens of threads that contain hope and realistic dreams of winning. And those dreams aren’t ridiculous. This roster is very good. It’s not out of the question to see this team go on a deep playoff run. I’m hopeful despite the last 28 seasons.

The biggest roadblock to that dream however is this: our owner/president/GM does not want to win as badly as we do. He doesn’t think like we do
. Yes, I know JJ wants to win. He would love the spotlight of hoisting a Lombardi on SB Sunday while shouting, “We did it our way!”

But being motivated by doing whatever it takes to win a championship is stronger among us fans than with our owner. The strongest motivation he has are these two things:
  1. Being the face of the franchise from “jocks and socks” to the last detail of every penny. It’s why he’s an owner.
  2. Winning the “Forbes Championship” every season. He’s prouder of the fortune he’s made with this team than the 3 Lombardis he’s won.
So when any one of us fans think if we don’t have a winning season this year that Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat, think again. Jerry doesn’t think like we do. If we win or if we lose, Jerry Jones is going to do things “his way” with himself as the centerpiece. If winning a championship was THE goal, he would’ve made changes at the top a long time ago.

So as we prepare for another season, I still have hope we can go on a deep playoff run. We have a very good roster and I do think McCarthy is one of the best head coaches we’ve had since The Big Tuna or Jimmy. But if things go south and we somehow don’t make the playoffs, it won’t make Jerry as unhappy as it will us.

Creeper

Reaction score
I’m sure 99.9% of the Cowboys fans here on the Zone want to win a championship badly. We all have a hunger to see another Lombardi join the storied collection of the 5 others. There are dozens and dozens of threads that contain hope and realistic dreams of winning. And those dreams aren’t ridiculous. This roster is very good. It’s not out of the question to see this team go on a deep playoff run. I’m hopeful despite the last 28 seasons.

The biggest roadblock to that dream however is this: our owner/president/GM does not want to win as badly as we do. He doesn’t think like we do
. Yes, I know JJ wants to win. He would love the spotlight of hoisting a Lombardi on SB Sunday while shouting, “We did it our way!”

But being motivated by doing whatever it takes to win a championship is stronger among us fans than with our owner. The strongest motivation he has are these two things:
  1. Being the face of the franchise from “jocks and socks” to the last detail of every penny. It’s why he’s an owner.
  2. Winning the “Forbes Championship” every season. He’s prouder of the fortune he’s made with this team than the 3 Lombardis he’s won.
So when any one of us fans think if we don’t have a winning season this year that Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat, think again. Jerry doesn’t think like we do. If we win or if we lose, Jerry Jones is going to do things “his way” with himself as the centerpiece. If winning a championship was THE goal, he would’ve made changes at the top a long time ago.

So as we prepare for another season, I still have hope we can go on a deep playoff run. We have a very good roster and I do think McCarthy is one of the best head coaches we’ve had since The Big Tuna or Jimmy. But if things go south and we somehow don’t make the playoffs, it won’t make Jerry as unhappy as it will us.
I agree generally, but at the same time I think things are changing. I believe in years past Jerry would have kept Zeke, for example. I think he would have let some players he resigned leave. I do not think he would have drafted a DT in the first round. Maybe he is getting old and letting go a bit. Maybe Stephen is influencing him some. Maybe Mike McCarthy has a stronger voice than we know. But this is not the Jerry who traded up and down 9 times in the draft to select Quincy Carter. The changes are slow and subtle but it is just not the same as 10 - 15 years ago.

I think this year they have built a very good roster and should have high expectations going into the season. Their defense looks to be improved over last year when they had a really good defense. But, like I say every year, it will come down to injuries. The Eagles were very healthy for the most part last year. The Giants and Cowboys had some injury issues, the Cowboys at CB and the Giants at WR. The healthy teams rise to the top by the end of the regular season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't wait for him to cry at the opening press conference at training camp.
As reliable as the sunrise. He will cry while telling us something we care nothing about.
I agree generally, but at the same time I think things are changing. I believe in years past Jerry would have kept Zeke, for example. I think he would have let some players he resigned leave. I do not think he would have drafted a DT in the first round. Maybe he is getting old and letting go a bit. Maybe Stephen is influencing him some. Maybe Mike McCarthy has a stronger voice than we know. But this is not the Jerry who traded up and down 9 times in the draft to select Quincy Carter. The changes are slow and subtle but it is just not the same as 10 - 15 years ago.

I think this year they have built a very good roster and should have high expectations going into the season. Their defense looks to be improved over last year when they had a really good defense. But, like I say every year, it will come down to injuries. The Eagles were very healthy for the most part last year. The Giants and Cowboys had some injury issues, the Cowboys at CB and the Giants at WR. The healthy teams rise to the top by the end of the regular season.
I don’t disagree that things are better. As I said in the OP, we have an excellent roster and a good HC. We could be a very good team this year. I’m just saying if we don’t have a good year, it won’t change our owner because he isn’t as bothered by underachievement as we are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He came in with a flair for the promotional and marketing aspects of the sport and was the first owner to openly admit, this is all about entertainment, it's not just about football.

It's not that he doesn't want another trophy; it is that he doesn't need it. He stands to make less off of another ring than any other owner. He already enjoys all the benefits of a championship club.

Imagine the smile on his face when his "slumping" QB was getting more coverage than Brady and Rodgers fighting for the MVP.

He truly is PT Booger because it is not about what it actually is but more what it seems to be. He is a pitchman, just like Barnum was because people wanted to buy.

I laugh when I see some poster exclaim "I am not buying in anymore"! Sure you are and why not, is it not what you want to buy? Don't have to sell you anything. What I don't like is when they make it seem like they were sold something, no, they were not. Is Tiny Tim not tiny? Doesn't the bearded lady have a beard? You bought because you wanted to buy and there is nothing wrong with that, you are a fan, it's not about logic.

We're the ones that are wrong when it comes to this. We think this is a football team and it has gone far beyond that, it is the top entertainment sports franchise in the world and there's never been another like it. The Yanks, Celtics and Lakers combined don't touch it. They send the Cowboys to England or Germany and it's going to be the Beatles coming to America.

I will give the devil his due. Look at what he's accomplished while not really accomplishing anything in 27 years. Admit it, you've never seen anything like it either. He will lead in revenue and profits again and the value of his franchise will increase again....regardless of anything that happens this season.

We should have picked a team that made more sense to us to be fans of because he keeps getting rewarded for mediocrity.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He came in with a flair for the promotional and marketing aspects of the sport and was the first owner to openly admit, this is all about entertainment, it's not just about football.

It's not that he doesn't want another trophy; it is that he doesn't need it. He stands to make less off of another ring than any other owner. He already enjoys all the benefits of a championship club.

Imagine the smile on his face when his "slumping" QB was getting more coverage than Brady and Rodgers fighting for the MVP.

He truly is PT Booger because it is not about what it actually is but more what it seems to be. He is a pitchman, just like Barnum was because people wanted to buy.

I laugh when I see some poster exclaim "I am not buying in anymore"! Sure you are and why not, is it not what you want to buy? Don't have to sell you anything. What I don't like is when they make it seem like they were sold something, no, they were not. Is Tiny Tim not tiny? Doesn't the bearded lady have a beard? You bought because you wanted to buy and there is nothing wrong with that, you are a fan, it's not about logic.

We're the ones that are wrong when it comes to this. We think this is a football team and it has gone far beyond that, it is the top entertainment sports franchise in the world and there's never been another like it. The Yanks, Celtics and Lakers combined don't touch it. They send the Cowboys to England or Germany and it's going to be the Beatles coming to America.

I will give the devil his due. Look at what he's accomplished while not really accomplishing anything in 27 years. Admit it, you've never seen anything like it either. He will lead in revenue and profits again and the value of his franchise will increase again....regardless of anything that happens this season.

We should have picked a team that made more sense to us to be fans of because he keeps getting rewarded for mediocrity.
So true! America’s Team is now actually closer to America’s Circus. JJ has built a bulletproof empire that is less about football and more about just plain entertainment. He will make more this year than last year and the year before….with or without on field accomplishments.

Which is why I come back to this idea that our GM doesn’t think like we fans do. We want to win first and foremost. Jerry would like to win. Big difference.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No one thinks like Jerry!! Well, maybe his son. He is in a league of his own!! It is most unfortunate for us Cowboys fans!! I still have hope that we can someday return and win a Super Bowl despite the innerworkings of Jerry's mind!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one thinks like Jerry!! Well, maybe his son. He is in a league of his own!! It is most unfortunate for us Cowboys fans!! I still have hope that we can someday return and win a Super Bowl despite the innerworkings of Jerry's mind!!
As has been mentioned, this FO has done a good job drafting talent and building a roster. This team is certainly capable of accomplishing a lot. But talent alone is never all that is required to win a championship.

When you fail to win even a divisional playoff game in nearly 3 decades but refuse to change who’s in charge, you become much more dependent on Lady Luck. If she smiles on us and the health of the team holds up and the team gets mentally and physically tougher, look out. And we’re certainly DUE for a run. Hope remains.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If it wasn't for Tom Landry, Roger Staubach and the like I would never be a Cowboy fan. If I was born in the 2000's and I didn't live in Dallas I wouldn't chose them. Don't know why anybody would. That's why I think once Jerry dies and all of us old fans die off, Stephen has to change the way things are done around that place. He does not have the charisma of Jerry. Jerry is a great snake salesman.

Flamma

Reaction score

Spoken like you're hiding under the bed. You couldn't be more right. For fans it's like a video game. We just want to win. Owners shelling out boatloads of cash have other motivations.

I just think Jerry is afraid to go down the path he took after our 3 SBs trying to get back to another. Remember the horrible trades and moves he made that led us to those three straight 5-11 seasons? He's just not a good GM in the salary cap era. He's terrible at it. So he dialed it back.

As much as I dislike the inactivity for fear of making a mistake, I'd much rather that than the horrible moves he made in the past. We have a pretty good team.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's ironic, sad, and somewhat humorous when someone spews that Jerry wants to win worse than anyone, since he's gone out of his way to prove that he doesn't.

Good post. Most of us want to win far more than Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score

Been a fan since the early 70's. Not in my DNA to change allegiance.

kskboys

Reaction score

The MM effect. While Mikey may not make all the right moves, he's shown unequivocally that he understands roster building. Lacked S's for years until he got here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or mine so I accept what is and if they never reach another NFCCG, I am OK with that. Just make all the games matter, no seasons prematurely ending.
I'm not OK w/ it in the least, but moving on is not an option. Just hope things somehow come together. MM is a breath of fresh air.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The MM effect. While Mikey may not make all the right moves, he's shown unequivocally that he understands roster building. Lacked S's for years until he got here.
For sure. Big Mac has made several positive changes. Under Garrett, if even one starter went down we were in trouble. Big Mac doesn’t allow excuses with injuries.

kskboys

Reaction score
For sure. Big Mac has made several positive changes. Under Garrett, if even one starter went down we were in trouble. Big Mac doesn’t allow excuses with injuries.
And we would never have taken Mazi before MM. Maybe Tuna could've talked Jerry into it.