CFZ Remember: Jerry doesn’t think like we do

75boyz

Reaction score
The OP is spot on. But I believe many past posts have revealed a majority here would prefer not fully sacrificing, going all in or losing for a few seasons in order to win a championship.

The Jerry created fanbase disease of staying relevant instead of trophies is alive and well in the Zone.

jmo

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, I don't but he is different and as much talking as he's done, if you think he's a mystery, Ok, but I do not.
It's a false dilemma fallacy. This notion that Jerry is this end all be all as to our success in the first place.

If you want to believe the TV and internet show is real then go for it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have probably the largest marketing, branding, and broadcasting departments in the league. We see it constantly and complain about the talking points and canned answers that Dalrymple and his successor have been feeding the players, coaches, and executives.

It's like in wrestling when you know that the winner is predetermined and the goal is a good show yet fans still claim it's real.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree.
I think Jerry wants to win just as much or more than we do for a myriad of reasons that we as fans don’t imagine because the notoriety and money doesn’t impact us.

I’ve been a fan since the second year the franchise existed. I have loved every championship, loved the 17 consecutive years of playoffs despite the ultimate disappointment in most of those years. I endured the total, unimaginable humiliation of the hillbillies, Jerry and Jimmy, in their first year in the NFL. If you didn’t actually live through that as a Cowboys fan, you don’t deserve to use the phrase “NFL Laughing Stock.” It was the low point of the organization, and don’t believe for a second that it was part of some great plan. It was a complete failure by the owner, front office, and coaching, resulting in more than just the Hershel Walker trade, but also in a complete overhaul of the offense and firing of Jimmy’s initial OC hire after one year.

I agonized through the hopeful disaster of the Romo years and now the Dak years.

But as badly as I want a 6th Lombardy trophy for Dallas, even as a fan, I would not mortgage the next decade of being a seller dweller in the NFC East for that title. And I understand an owner not wanting to do that. As a fan, I want to be relevant and hopeful every year like the 17 consecutive Landry years.

We are in position to compete for the NFC, and if you win that, anything can happen as was proven by the Wild Card Giants who beat the 18-0 Brady led Patriots with Randy Moss after losing to those Patriots and giving up 38 points just weeks earlier. If we need another OL or RB or anything else to strengthen this roster, spend the money, but no, I would not have the Cowboys mortgage the future in a quest for a SB.
I prefer building a team that can compete every year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and I think you are nuts. I love the Cowboys. They are a huge paft of my life... I mean look where we are.... hanging in this forum in the off season discussing them. But no way does them losing impact me like it does Jerry... but hey, if it helps you to sleep at night to have another bash Jerry thread, have at it.
I love the Cowboys too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m sure 99.9% of the Cowboys fans here on the Zone want to win a championship badly. We all have a hunger to see another Lombardi join the storied collection of the 5 others. There are dozens and dozens of threads that contain hope and realistic dreams of winning. And those dreams aren’t ridiculous. This roster is very good. It’s not out of the question to see this team go on a deep playoff run. I’m hopeful despite the last 28 seasons.

The biggest roadblock to that dream however is this: our owner/president/GM does not want to win as badly as we do. He doesn’t think like we do
. Yes, I know JJ wants to win. He would love the spotlight of hoisting a Lombardi on SB Sunday while shouting, “We did it our way!”

But being motivated by doing whatever it takes to win a championship is stronger among us fans than with our owner. The strongest motivation he has are these two things:
  1. Being the face of the franchise from “jocks and socks” to the last detail of every penny. It’s why he’s an owner.
  2. Winning the “Forbes Championship” every season. He’s prouder of the fortune he’s made with this team than the 3 Lombardis he’s won.
So when any one of us fans think if we don’t have a winning season this year that Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat, think again. Jerry doesn’t think like we do. If we win or if we lose, Jerry Jones is going to do things “his way” with himself as the centerpiece. If winning a championship was THE goal, he would’ve made changes at the top a long time ago.

So as we prepare for another season, I still have hope we can go on a deep playoff run. We have a very good roster and I do think McCarthy is one of the best head coaches we’ve had since The Big Tuna or Jimmy. But if things go south and we somehow don’t make the playoffs, it won’t make Jerry as unhappy as it will us.
Our friend, we appreciate your sense of loyalty as a fan.

He has pride, but the heartache is ours...and we don't have vaults of great whiskey...pr beer stored up in unending quantity.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He came in with a flair for the promotional and marketing aspects of the sport and was the first owner to openly admit, this is all about entertainment, it's not just about football.

It's not that he doesn't want another trophy; it is that he doesn't need it. He stands to make less off of another ring than any other owner. He already enjoys all the benefits of a championship club.

Imagine the smile on his face when his "slumping" QB was getting more coverage than Brady and Rodgers fighting for the MVP.

He truly is PT Booger because it is not about what it actually is but more what it seems to be. He is a pitchman, just like Barnum was because people wanted to buy.

I laugh when I see some poster exclaim "I am not buying in anymore"! Sure you are and why not, is it not what you want to buy? Don't have to sell you anything. What I don't like is when they make it seem like they were sold something, no, they were not. Is Tiny Tim not tiny? Doesn't the bearded lady have a beard? You bought because you wanted to buy and there is nothing wrong with that, you are a fan, it's not about logic.

We're the ones that are wrong when it comes to this. We think this is a football team and it has gone far beyond that, it is the top entertainment sports franchise in the world and there's never been another like it. The Yanks, Celtics and Lakers combined don't touch it. They send the Cowboys to England or Germany and it's going to be the Beatles coming to America.

I will give the devil his due. Look at what he's accomplished while not really accomplishing anything in 27 years. Admit it, you've never seen anything like it either. He will lead in revenue and profits again and the value of his franchise will increase again....regardless of anything that happens this season.

We should have picked a team that made more sense to us to be fans of because he keeps getting rewarded for mediocrity.
As a youth, I recall rooting for the Bishop Badgers back when Ronny Bull was in High School there. He later went on to Baylor as an All American and then to the Chicago Bears and was Rookie of the Year following Mike Ditka's ROY. I recalled the entire stands yelling and screaming their heads off rooting for the high school team playing. That stayed with those fans, even when, they didn't quite make it past Regionals each year.

That sense of being a fan stuck with me and in my own heart. I learned loyalty to the University of Texas and local Texas A&I, where Sid Blanks played and was the first pick ever by the Houston Oilers. But Dallas and the Cowboys were the first NFL team in Texas. I was then loyal to them...from the heart, Not in what they had done to make me a 'smart' fan and benefiting from their glory or achievements. I loved our football for what it was! It brought my heart pride. It still does and that doesn't need a ton of grafitti for me to have that.

We also might make a real difference by just being that, a fan, and helping our team turn the final corner and reward it's fans!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree.
I think Jerry wants to win just as much or more than we do for a myriad of reasons that we as fans don’t imagine because the notoriety and money doesn’t impact us.
This has been proven wrong by Jerry himself. Sheesh, how does this myth keep going?

Some of you need an "I want to believe" poster hanging on your walls as deep down inside I doubt that you truly believe Jerry wants to win as bad as yourself.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree generally, but at the same time I think things are changing. I believe in years past Jerry would have kept Zeke, for example. I think he would have let some players he resigned leave. I do not think he would have drafted a DT in the first round. Maybe he is getting old and letting go a bit. Maybe Stephen is influencing him some. Maybe Mike McCarthy has a stronger voice than we know. But this is not the Jerry who traded up and down 9 times in the draft to select Quincy Carter. The changes are slow and subtle but it is just not the same as 10 - 15 years ago.

I think this year they have built a very good roster and should have high expectations going into the season. Their defense looks to be improved over last year when they had a really good defense. But, like I say every year, it will come down to injuries. The Eagles were very healthy for the most part last year. The Giants and Cowboys had some injury issues, the Cowboys at CB and the Giants at WR. The healthy teams rise to the top by the end of the regular season.
i agree

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m sure 99.9% of the Cowboys fans here on the Zone want to win a championship badly. We all have a hunger to see another Lombardi join the storied collection of the 5 others. There are dozens and dozens of threads that contain hope and realistic dreams of winning. And those dreams aren’t ridiculous. This roster is very good. It’s not out of the question to see this team go on a deep playoff run. I’m hopeful despite the last 28 seasons.

The biggest roadblock to that dream however is this: our owner/president/GM does not want to win as badly as we do. He doesn’t think like we do
. Yes, I know JJ wants to win. He would love the spotlight of hoisting a Lombardi on SB Sunday while shouting, “We did it our way!”

But being motivated by doing whatever it takes to win a championship is stronger among us fans than with our owner. The strongest motivation he has are these two things:
  1. Being the face of the franchise from “jocks and socks” to the last detail of every penny. It’s why he’s an owner.
  2. Winning the “Forbes Championship” every season. He’s prouder of the fortune he’s made with this team than the 3 Lombardis he’s won.
So when any one of us fans think if we don’t have a winning season this year that Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat, think again. Jerry doesn’t think like we do. If we win or if we lose, Jerry Jones is going to do things “his way” with himself as the centerpiece. If winning a championship was THE goal, he would’ve made changes at the top a long time ago.

So as we prepare for another season, I still have hope we can go on a deep playoff run. We have a very good roster and I do think McCarthy is one of the best head coaches we’ve had since The Big Tuna or Jimmy. But if things go south and we somehow don’t make the playoffs, it won’t make Jerry as unhappy as it will us.
Only time will tell but I disagree

I think Jerry's changed a lot in the last 10 years even in the last five years he allows Will Mcclay to do a lot more along with other parts of his management staff, scouting departments, Coaches, and whatnot but I believe he believes with a healthy team, if Prescott is upright and we don't make the playoffs ,I think Mike McCarthy might end up being fired...

I'm not 100% sure but I believe he's not gonna let this be a Jason Garrett type run for Mike McCarthy,

I mean if we make the playoffs and we're one and done just depends on how we exited,

maybe McCarthy saves his job but I think expectations are we need to end up going at least to the second round again... now if Prescott gets hurt and misses most of the year and we lose a lot of guys like we did in 2020, McCarthy might end up getting another shot...

I believe he does have one more year on his contract maybe he gets to play it out.

GMO415

Reaction score
Bullet, all Jerry wants is the Cowboys to be relevant and in the conversation, because both provide economic growth. More so, his economic growth.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sound defeated.
Not at all, I just don't need a trip to the NFCCG to make me happy. I've been a fan for a long time and have 8 trips, 5 wins and 20 winning seasons in a row to fall back on when times are great. And I have the recollection that after winning a SB, nothing really changed.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree.

I’ve been a fan since the second year the franchise existed. I have loved every championship, loved the 17 consecutive years of playoffs despite the ultimate disappointment in most of those years. I endured the total, unimaginable humiliation of the hillbillies, Jerry and Jimmy, in their first year in the NFL. If you didn’t actually live through that as a Cowboys fan, you don’t deserve to use the phrase “NFL Laughing Stock.” It was the low point of the organization, and don’t believe for a second that it was part of some great plan. It was a complete failure by the owner, front office, and coaching, resulting in more than just the Hershel Walker trade, but also in a complete overhaul of the offense and firing of Jimmy’s initial OC hire after one year.

I agonized through the hopeful disaster of the Romo years and now the Dak years.

But as badly as I want a 6th Lombardy trophy for Dallas, even as a fan, I would not mortgage the next decade of being a seller dweller in the NFC East for that title. And I understand an owner not wanting to do that. As a fan, I want to be relevant and hopeful every year like the 17 consecutive Landry years.

We are in position to compete for the NFC, and if you win that, anything can happen as was proven by the Wild Card Giants who beat the 18-0 Brady led Patriots with Randy Moss after losing to those Patriots and giving up 38 points just weeks earlier. If we need another OL or RB or anything else to strengthen this roster, spend the money, but no, I would not have the Cowboys mortgage the future in a quest for a SB.
I prefer building a team that can compete every year.
I'm just the opposite.
And It's funny you mention the Giants because they are what you said you don't want to become.
After that last SB and the fluke 2016 playoff season, check all their regular season records leading up to last year, and their one fluke 2016. They were like top 3 in losing.

They HAVE been a cellar dweller for a decade prior to last year. Numerous GMs and coaches fired.
Like I said, up until last year.
But as for me, I would take every bit of the criticism/ridicule for that long if I was able to respond with "BUT...we won the SB in 2012," so there's that.

I don't grasp being "almost" good enough and settling for that as the standard for my team.
IF THAT seems to be the ceiling that your team has reached, and with this team it most assuredly is, THEN major changes in coaching and personnel philosophy need to change in order to get past being "almost" good enough.
Much less a GM change, but that's it's own separate topic of conversation here.

jmo

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only time will tell but I disagree

I think Jerry's changed a lot in the last 10 years even in the last five years he allows Will Mcclay to do a lot more along with other parts of his management staff, scouting departments, Coaches, and whatnot but I believe he believes with a healthy team, if Prescott is upright and we don't make the playoffs ,I think Mike McCarthy might end up being fired...

I'm not 100% sure but I believe he's not gonna let this be a Jason Garrett type run for Mike McCarthy,

I mean if we make the playoffs and we're one and done just depends on how we exited,

maybe McCarthy saves his job but I think expectations are we need to end up going at least to the second round again... now if Prescott gets hurt and misses most of the year and we lose a lot of guys like we did in 2020, McCarthy might end up getting another shot...

I believe he does have one more year on his contract maybe he gets to play it out.
I think he must at least get to the divisional round again and if he loses to PHL or SF, he's safe. I do not think the Joneses are ready to accept their team is any worse than 3rd in the NFC.

However, the presence of Quinn changes quite a bit because we do not know if the Joneses view him as the next DC HC or just the DC.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think if Mike doesn’t make the playoffs he’s fired. He will coach the season out and be fired and Quinn hired.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I really have no idea how their failure to be able to win ends up spun as not caring about winning.

They are trying like hell to win and aren’t all that great at what they do. Actually they aren’t terrible at it lately…Jerry fingerprints not all over everything helps…but it the way this league is now, it comes down to what the QB is going to do in big spots.