CFZ Remember: Jerry doesn’t think like we do

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, just what we needed a bash Jerry thread to go along with the bash Dak threads.

Maybe I am in the minority, but Jerry wants to win, and make $$$.
To claim he does not care about winning is ridiculous.

About 5 weeks until TC .... going to be a long 5 weeks.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Been a fan since the early 70's. Not in my DNA to change allegiance.
A fan since the mid 60's and me neither, but...just because I will never change allegiance doesn't mean I am the same fan. I no longer make the financial or emotional investment in the Cowboys I used to make - and by a lot.

I am hoping that Charlotte will steer the team in a new direction but my fear is Stephen will keep the mindset of "my way" and nothing will change. I would actually like to see a sibling rivalry, something that would shake things up.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Wow, just what we needed a bash Jerry thread to go along with the bash Dak threads.

Maybe I am in the minority, but Jerry wants to win, and make $$$.
To claim he does not care about winning is ridiculous.

About 5 weeks until TC .... going to be a long 5 weeks.
You completely missed the point.

He only wants to win one way and that's his way. Other than that he could care less because he's proven it for 28 years.

C'mom man - I know you are better than that.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
So Jerry is coaching the team during the games? If not it's all on the team. Jerry is just sitting up in his booth looking like a kid happy about his toy. You can blame Jerry for all you want, but it's on the team and coaches to do their jobs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Jerry thought like some of the fans here he would be broke.

MS17

Reaction score
So true! America’s Team is now actually closer to America’s Circus. JJ has built a bulletproof empire that is less about football and more about just plain entertainment. He will make more this year than last year and the year before….with or without on field accomplishments.

Which is why I come back to this idea that our GM doesn’t think like we fans do. We want to win first and foremost. Jerry would like to win. Big difference.
I think there's a whole lot more truth and validity in this than many fans (casual or avid) will admit.

Your suggestion that "Jerruh the GM" doesnt have the same wiring (as the fans do) is not controversial; it may be obvious to a lot of us that this owner's priorities are ordered differently. To wit, in the end, he surely wants "the brand", the Cowboys image and the intense glare of the media's focus to endure. As much as he wants to win.

Like he probably fancys that Rowdy, his invention, is the NFL's "top rated mascot." Laughable, I know. But the past 27 years have made me cynical.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ascribing emotional commitment to someone you have never met nor had an interaction?

Talk about self serving nonsense.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But if things go south and we somehow don’t make the playoffs, it won’t make Jerry as unhappy as it will us.
and I think you are nuts. I love the Cowboys. They are a huge paft of my life... I mean look where we are.... hanging in this forum in the off season discussing them. But no way does them losing impact me like it does Jerry... but hey, if it helps you to sleep at night to have another bash Jerry thread, have at it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You completely missed the point.

He only wants to win one way and that's his way. Other than that he could care less because he's proven it for 28 years.

C'mom man - I know you are better than that.
Maybe so, but it does not come across that way from all the posts.
So what could Jerry do other than his way? Aren't that what all owners do, their way?

Sure hire a GM, but how many GM's would he go through if they did not win. Everyone assumes if Jerry hired a real GM we would have been in NFCCG's or SB's ?

How many other teams have GM's and have not been successful. By reading on here 31 teams have been. Which we know is not true.

And owners hire and fire HC's, or a huge input. That is not up to the GM alone. So do you think a GM would have influenced Jerry not to hire, or to fire Garrett before 10 years?

A lot in play there.
And yes, it all falls back on Jerry. And rightfully so. But some of the criticism is laughable at times.

I am not defending Jerry in any way, but not going to hate on everything either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and I think you are nuts. I love the Cowboys. They are a huge paft of my life... I mean look where we are.... hanging in this forum in the off season discussing them. But no way does them losing impact me like it does Jerry... but hey, if it helps you to sleep at night to have another bash Jerry thread, have at it.
He just gave you another opportunity to be a Booger defender.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ascribing emotional commitment to someone you have never met nor had an interaction?

Talk about self serving nonsense.
As much as he is in interviews and lacks a brain trap half the time or he wouldn't have admitted he would have fired himself, he gives enough information about how he thinks to form opinions but that's all they are, opinions.

JayFord

Reaction score
Im pretty sure Jerry thinks like all owners

money, sponsorship, ratings ect.

problem is hes the GM as well...(well in name only Stephen and Will McClay pretty much gm here) and the GM needs to think win, win, win and more winning

owners job is to be profitable....if you can do that by winning cool...if not well aslong as youre profitable fine

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe so, but it does not come across that way from all the posts.
So what could Jerry do other than his way? Aren't that what all owners do, their way?

Sure hire a GM, but how many GM's would he go through if they did not win. Everyone assumes if Jerry hired a real GM we would have been in NFCCG's or SB's ?

How many other teams have GM's and have not been successful. By reading on here 31 teams have been. Which we know is not true.

And owners hire and fire HC's, or a huge input. That is not up to the GM alone. So do you think a GM would have influenced Jerry not to hire, or to fire Garrett before 10 years?

A lot in play there.
And yes, it all falls back on Jerry. And rightfully so. But some of the criticism is laughable at times.

I am not defending Jerry in any way, but not going to hate on everything either.
Valid points and I don't think he could work with any GM that actually took his job seriously. He is not capable of being hands off.

McClay has the best job in the NFL. Makes GM money, makes suggestions and the fans all assume the bad decisions were the GM's. He'd have to put his butt on the line in any other GM job but not in Dallas.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As much as he is in interviews and lacks a brain trap half the time or he wouldn't have admitted he would have fired himself, he gives enough information about how he thinks tp fprm opinions but that's all they are, opinions.
I hope you don't think that by watching talk shows you can tell how celebrities really think.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For sure. Big Mac has made several positive changes. Under Garrett, if even one starter went down we were in trouble. Big Mac doesn’t allow excuses with injuries.
Yeah, I remember one year when Mike was in Green Bay, it seemed like 1/3 of the team was on IR....but, they still made the playoffs!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I remember one year when Mike was in Green Bay, it seemed like 1/3 of the team was on IR....but, they still made the playoffs!!
He won a playoff game starting 5 OG's on his OL. It seems he was always playing patchwork with his OL and doing damned well at it.

To a great extent, he doesn't get a break because he had Favre and Rodgers as his QB's.

And 13 years as HC and only 1 ring dogs him a little while it doesn't dog Payton at all and I don't get that. Between the two, I would take McC unless Payton was bringing Brees with him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
To me it's real simple.......you're talking a the owner/CEO of a multi-billion dollar bussiness vs fans. Keep in mind for fans, football is our get-away or hoppy to make feel happy or good about ourselves but's it Jerry's livehood. Can you imagine hope employees, businesses, families, agenices, and etc are affected by the decisions he make. You're are exactly right, doesn't think like we do and winning/losing likely doesn't affect him as much it probably shouldn't to honest.

Does this excuse him from poor decisions, no not at all but his perspective and responsiblity have to be considered.

Something I think gets overlooked a bit is Jerry alway make sure the buck stops with him. In other words, we know he has tons of people he count on the do their job but we never hear him calling out others for their mistakes. Again, I'm not excusing him but there are a lot of moving parts in every decision and many are connected to other decisions that we as fans never see, just the end results.