Remember Johnny Manziel

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It was the draft of 2014. Publicly, Jerry Jones was committed to Tony Romo as his quarterback. But Romo had been the starting QB for 7-1/2 seasons, and had consistently been a failure in the playoffs. Jerry talked openly about the need to draft a replacement for Tony, and many pundits believed the Cowboys would spend the 14th overall pick on college phenom Johnny Manziel as the Cowboys’ QB of the future. 2014 ended up being Tony Romo’s finest season. But Jerry was still hunting a replacement.

If you take away the season lost to injury in 2020, Dak Prescott has been the starting QB of the Cowboys for about 7-1/2 seasons. Like Romo, Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. Jerry is getting antsy again. He’s publicly declared his allegiance to Dak. But last year he traded for Trey Lance, and so far this year, he’s refused to extend Dak.

I’m not a fortune teller, but past performance is the best indicator of future performance. I think it is highly possible Jerry is gearing up to move to a new signal caller for the Cowboys. I don’t think he wants to commit a quarter of a billion dollars to someone who hasn’t shown he’s a winner in the postseason. Things could still change for Dak if he’s finally able to have postseason success in 2024, but the signs point to a change at the QB position in the near future.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Who else saw the thread title and thought that Manziel had died? Don't even try to lie.

Any scenario, theory, rain dance, etc. that concludes with Dak (and Tad) leaving the Cowboys is good enough for me.
So, if we gotta sacrifice Johnny Football, so be it....

J817

Reaction score
Who else saw the thread title and thought that Manziel had died? Don't even try to lie.

Any scenario, theory, rain dance, etc. that concludes with Dak (and Tad) leaving the Cowboys is good enough for me.
OMG, I was like what? I haven't read anything about this.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It was the draft of 2014. Publicly, Jerry Jones was committed to Tony Romo as his quarterback. But Romo had been the starting QB for 7-1/2 seasons, and had consistently been a failure in the playoffs. Jerry talked openly about the need to draft a replacement for Tony, and many pundits believed the Cowboys would spend the 14th overall pick on college phenom Johnny Manziel as the Cowboys’ QB of the future. 2014 ended up being Tony Romo’s finest season. But Jerry was still hunting a replacement.

If you take away the season lost to injury in 2020, Dak Prescott has been the starting QB of the Cowboys for about 7-1/2 seasons. Like Romo, Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. Jerry is getting antsy again. He’s publicly declared his allegiance to Dak. But last year he traded for Trey Lance, and so far this year, he’s refused to extend Dak.

I’m not a fortune teller, but past performance is the best indicator of future performance. I think it is highly possible Jerry is gearing up to move to a new signal caller for the Cowboys. I don’t think he wants to commit a quarter of a billion dollars to someone who hasn’t shown he’s a winner in the postseason. Things could still change for Dak if he’s finally able to have postseason success in 2024, but the signs point to a change at the QB position in the near future.
The only people who thought Dallas was going to draft Manzel was the television networks that wanted to juice up the draft. I don’t remember any threads with the fan base saying we would Johnny. He would have been a threat to Romo and Jerry was not having that.

plymkr

Reaction score

I thought it was going to be a thread about the Netflix documentary on Johnny Manziel.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
I can tell y'all with 100% fact that Jerry already had Manziel jerseys printed up to sell at that draft party.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

I did, but I am not doing the Denzel meme

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I remember a rumor about seeing him doing blow at a party. I listened to the Chris Russo show one night and his #2 guy mentioned this and Russo went off on him, talking down to him like a parent to a child for spreading unfounded rumors. I doubt Russo ever apologized.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

—Raises hand—

Btw, he is alive. Just saw him on Final Four highlights watching the Aggies play.

Probably The only court side tickets he can still get.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The only people who thought Dallas was going to draft Manzel was the television networks that wanted to juice up the draft. I don’t remember any threads with the fan base saying we would Johnny. He would have been a threat to Romo and Jerry was not having that.
Exactly. We were not going to draft him and it was solely media drama buzz that Jerry played along with peddling that draft card story afterwards. One hand washes the other.

Motorola

Reaction score
Manziel was still drafted in the first round - 22nd overall by the Browns.
After two seasons, he was out of the NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A threat? he was never a real threat ,most people here knew the man not only couldn't read a defense he could even read a playbook.. go look at the background on him... I think most GM's knew it maybe they thought they can fix it but this guy was never going to be good in the NFL because he literally is lazy and played with a lot of talent at wide receiver just hucked the ball up over and over that's all you had was The Sandlot football everything he did was off scriptl

1942willys

Reaction score
you can easily identify Jerry\s minions by the way they are claiming this was not a possibility. I remember watching all the draft coverage and THEY certainly thought it might happen.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Isn't it uncanny how this team struggles in the post season no matter who the QB is?
It's like their could be a larger problem for this team?
Wonder what that could be?

:huh:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

The mods made him change his original thread title: Remembering Johnny Manziel (1992-2024)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember some fans trashing Jerry during the draft for not taking Manziel. One fan claimed we would rue the day we passed on him. :rolleyes: