Remember Johnny Manziel

Asklesko

Reaction score
I remember Johnny Football. What ever happened to that fella?

shabazz

Reaction score
Where would the Cowboys move up to? The top 3 teams need a QB. It's a good plan. But it would be difficult in this draft.
It would depend on who they want. Could be a move to the top 6 to 12.....Mahomes was drafted at the 10th spot, lol

Flamma

Reaction score
With the many needs the team has due to all the FA departures they won’t even consider taking a QB. They only have 6 picks and already used a 4th round pick from this years draft on Trey Lance. They can’t afford to use another pick on a QB and leave themselves with only 5 picks to try and plug up some of the holes they have. They’re banking heavily on this draft. Any QB that would fall to us, the odds on them panning out wouldn’t be good. Your best shot of hitting on a QB is in the top 10 and even that’s a real crapshoot.
You're not kidding. Blake Bortles went 3rd overall in 2014. Winston and Mariota went 1 and 2 the following season. But if the Cowboys intend on moving on from Dak, it wouldn't surprise me if Dallas drafted a QB. They'll be lucky to get 3 players that can contribute from the draft. They're just going to fill a lot of those holes with FAs and UFAs after the draft.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The only people who thought Dallas was going to draft Manzel was the television networks that wanted to juice up the draft. I don’t remember any threads with the fan base saying we would Johnny. He would have been a threat to Romo and Jerry was not having that.
Jerry Jones did an interview with Fox that aired week one that year saying how much he wanted to draft Manziel and that he was “sick to his stomach” that he didn’t get to.

He also talked about how he was told not to buy the Cowboys but listened to his gut and bought them anyway. He said his gut was telling him that draft to take Manziel.

1942willys

Reaction score
Jerry Jones did an interview with Fox that aired week one that year saying how much he wanted to draft Manziel and that he was “sick to his stomach” that he didn’t get to.

He also talked about how he was told not to buy the Cowboys but listened to his gut and bought them anyway. He said his gut was telling him that draft to take Manziel.
Only Jerry's minions try and claim he did not want to draft Manziel. Stephan may have done the franchise the biggest service he ever will in convincing Jerry not to pull the trigger
and lets be honest here people; if Jerry had said we were drafting him we would have

Flamma

Reaction score
I thought we traded for a phenom???
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about him. Jerry outsmarted everyone with that move. Speaking of said phenom, what do the Cowboys intend to do with him next season? I know they're not going to pick up his 5th year option.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I remember Johnny Football. What ever happened to that fella?
He lived next door to my daughter when she went to Texas A&M. He dated some of her sorority sisters. She loved him playing for the team, but thought he was a terrible person socially. He hit on her a couple of times, and she turned him down flat.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It was the draft of 2014. Publicly, Jerry Jones was committed to Tony Romo as his quarterback. But Romo had been the starting QB for 7-1/2 seasons, and had consistently been a failure in the playoffs. Jerry talked openly about the need to draft a replacement for Tony, and many pundits believed the Cowboys would spend the 14th overall pick on college phenom Johnny Manziel as the Cowboys’ QB of the future. 2014 ended up being Tony Romo’s finest season. But Jerry was still hunting a replacement.

If you take away the season lost to injury in 2020, Dak Prescott has been the starting QB of the Cowboys for about 7-1/2 seasons. Like Romo, Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. Jerry is getting antsy again. He’s publicly declared his allegiance to Dak. But last year he traded for Trey Lance, and so far this year, he’s refused to extend Dak.

I’m not a fortune teller, but past performance is the best indicator of future performance. I think it is highly possible Jerry is gearing up to move to a new signal caller for the Cowboys. I don’t think he wants to commit a quarter of a billion dollars to someone who hasn’t shown he’s a winner in the postseason. Things could still change for Dak if he’s finally able to have postseason success in 2024, but the signs point to a change at the QB position in the near future.
Only thing the Jonesboys moved to was a All Pro OG named Zach Martin. I hope the same for 2024.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
This thread is mis-titled. It doesn’t even do Manziel as a ‘drive-by.’ More like a ‘fly-over.’

Chasing6

Reaction score
It was the draft of 2014. Publicly, Jerry Jones was committed to Tony Romo as his quarterback. But Romo had been the starting QB for 7-1/2 seasons, and had consistently been a failure in the playoffs. Jerry talked openly about the need to draft a replacement for Tony, and many pundits believed the Cowboys would spend the 14th overall pick on college phenom Johnny Manziel as the Cowboys’ QB of the future. 2014 ended up being Tony Romo’s finest season. But Jerry was still hunting a replacement.

If you take away the season lost to injury in 2020, Dak Prescott has been the starting QB of the Cowboys for about 7-1/2 seasons. Like Romo, Dak has been unsuccessful in the playoffs. Jerry is getting antsy again. He’s publicly declared his allegiance to Dak. But last year he traded for Trey Lance, and so far this year, he’s refused to extend Dak.

I’m not a fortune teller, but past performance is the best indicator of future performance. I think it is highly possible Jerry is gearing up to move to a new signal caller for the Cowboys. I don’t think he wants to commit a quarter of a billion dollars to someone who hasn’t shown he’s a winner in the postseason. Things could still change for Dak if he’s finally able to have postseason success in 2024, but the signs point to a change at the QB position in the near future.
What's to remember?