Remember Ruggs last year?

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
All the BPA guys were clamoring for Ruggs if he was there. "We have to take him"!!!!

What a huge mistake THAT would have been?

Although I freely admit that Pitts is a much better prospect overall than Ruggs was.

This is false. You need to refresh your memory.

quickccc

Reaction score
All the BPA guys were clamoring for Ruggs if he was there. "We have to take him"!!!!

What a huge mistake THAT would have been?

Although I freely admit that Pitts is a much better prospect overall than Ruggs was.

As for as the Cowboys, I do not recall hearing an overwhelming demand for Ruggs, or any WR for that matter at that draft time.
It was more about LSU edge rusher k'Lavon Chaisson …..

- What would the situation be Now if we had drafted Chaisson…. instead of Lamb ?

- The jury is still out on what type of impact k'Lavon will develop into,. as he was still raw, under developed and limited some in game experience coming out of LSU.
The draft guru’s were insistent and convinced that the Cowboys were gonna take him in the first round.

- Several dynamics of course, changed our luck to be able to draft WR CeeDee Lamb, who the club thought was a blue chip WR coming out of OU, enuff that he could eventually be our future lead WR
Add that strong rumors were the Eagles were trying to move up to take him,. but failed.

- Even with Ruggs, I don’t blame or point fingers at those that preferred him because they were so infatuated with his incredible speed dimension.
Tyrek Hill and the Chiefs offense engineered that potential and excitement, imo .. but the Radas don’t have a Mahomes who creates a lot of run free plays for Hill, ..and vice versa.

- And I’m not always sure if Gruden is scheming and featuring Ruggs to his skill set.
For instance, guys like Desean Jackson he’s not a move the chains WR. his plays have to come in spots and bunches, it has to be a certain design and pass routes for him.

- A Great QB and a terrific pass scheme could bring out the best in Ruggs.
Just as Chiefs have with Tyrek …just as Seattle has with Tyler Lockett…. But I have major questions whether Ruggs has that In Radas land there.

:rolleyes:

Rayman70

Reaction score
wasnt ruggs taken ahead of Lamb? I dunno. But everyone thought he was better than Lamb and would have a great rookie year. Well, he kinda stank. I know he was hurt, but when he was on the field if memory serves, he was invisible.

quickccc

Reaction score
You must have missed it. Every year we get the BPA offensive guys that want the next big play maker on offense. Last year it was Ruggs. Lamb and Jeudy were both expected to go well before our pick. Jeudy would have been a mistake as well.

I do recall clearly Broaddus making a very vocal case to draft Lamb if he somehow slipped to our 1st round slot .
The Cowboys Draft show on podcast always has a sound bite of Broaddus' enthusiast shout of surprised excitement when we took Lamb....
" Oooh.. they took him ! " LOL (still so very funny to me)

- Broaddus' point was that we should not be passing up " Best Available Player " on our draft board,, just for the sake of "Need-Position" .
Passing up a Blue Chip WR just for the sake of a raw, under developed athletic DE in k'Lavon Chassion. Just because we needed Defense so badly.
He thought it would be a reach if we took Chassion over Lamb.

- However I do recall the outrage and anger on this very Cowboys board among some members and posts of how dumb they thought Cowboys were for drafting a WR in the 1st round
when we already had Cooper/Gallup on board, and we needed Defense instead.

-To me, the impression i got with Pitts vs Ruggs discussion , it's not about WR vs TE comparison, but more so passing up "Best Available Player" in according to the value of our draft board.

- The reason why Florida TE Kyle Pitts is still persisting to be linked to the Cowboys is because he is considered such a generation TE.
One that his combined skill set, tremendous athleticism and game tape production is just too rare and doesn't come around such as that regularly.

- We've seen very fast TEs such as Vernon Davis, Evan Ingram sub 4.4 like guys, coming into the NFL draft.
.. but were they considered generational coming out of college, and will they be future Hall of Fame TEs ?
Apparently Pitts is supposedly much more polished and refined and a better knack for the passing game than those two TEs.

- But with ZKE, Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Pollard already on the scene,.. how many balls and touches are gonna have to be available if Pitts comes upon the scene ?

o_O

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
wasnt ruggs taken ahead of Lamb? I dunno. But everyone thought he was better than Lamb and would have a great rookie year. Well, he kinda stank. I know he was hurt, but when he was on the field if memory serves, he was invisible.

I had Ruggs as the best fit for our team because of the speed element but Lamb was my #1 WR.

quickccc

Reaction score

Was it because Ruggs as a learning rookie stank ? .. or was it his surrounding cast and way he was schemed underwhelming ?
as he gains game experience and becomes more polished, it will be interesting to see if the technical parts of his game develops at the NFL level.

Some guys as rookies are just more advanced in that area and hit the ground running better vs others.
Lamb, Vikes' Justin Jefferson and Denver's Jerry Jeud were already more refined and skilled in that area,. along with stronger supporting cast and coach-schemed,
so it was a much more easier adjustment than Ruggs.

i believe Rugg was the first WR off the NFL draft board. So he wasn't even a factor for a chance at the Cowboys.
But from all I had heard pre-Draft, the Cowboys only had two WRs in 1st rd consideration: Jerry Jeud and CeeDee Lamb.
Ruggs was never gonna be a Cowboys with that 1st rd selection.
But the sake of Best Available Player discussion, i'll put my 2 cents into thoughts on this.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Getting it wrong again I see. I've been all in on a Dak deal from the start and fully expected to land on 40 mill a year.

Did I get dak wrong? Zeke? Garrett? Some people just understand the game better than others.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As for as the Cowboys, I do not recall hearing an overwhelming demand for Ruggs, or any WR for that matter at that draft time.
It was more about LSU edge rusher k'Lavon Chaisson …..

- What would the situation be Now if we had drafted Chaisson…. instead of Lamb ?

- The jury is still out on what type of impact k'Lavon will develop into,. as he was still raw, under developed and limited some in game experience coming out of LSU.
The draft guru’s were insistent and convinced that the Cowboys were gonna take him in the first round.

- Several dynamics of course, changed our luck to be able to draft WR CeeDee Lamb, who the club thought was a blue chip WR coming out of OU, enuff that he could eventually be our future lead WR
Add that strong rumors were the Eagles were trying to move up to take him,. but failed.

- Even with Ruggs, I don’t blame or point fingers at those that preferred him because they were so infatuated with his incredible speed dimension.
Tyrek Hill and the Chiefs offense engineered that potential and excitement, imo .. but the Radas don’t have a Mahomes who creates a lot of run free plays for Hill, ..and vice versa.

- And I’m not always sure if Gruden is scheming and featuring Ruggs to his skill set.
For instance, guys like Desean Jackson he’s not a move the chains WR. his plays have to come in spots and bunches, it has to be a certain design and pass routes for him.

- A Great QB and a terrific pass scheme could bring out the best in Ruggs.
Just as Chiefs have with Tyrek …just as Seattle has with Tyler Lockett…. But I have major questions whether Ruggs has that In Radas land there.

bpa vs need is the #1 argument on here every year predraft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I do recall clearly Broaddus making a very vocal case to draft Lamb if he somehow slipped to our 1st round slot .
The Cowboys Draft show on podcast always has a sound bite of Broaddus' enthusiast shout of surprised excitement when we took Lamb....
" Oooh.. they took him ! " LOL (still so very funny to me)

- Broaddus' point was that we should not be passing up " Best Available Player " on our draft board,, just for the sake of "Need-Position" .
Passing up a Blue Chip WR just for the sake of a raw, under developed athletic DE in k'Lavon Chassion. Just because we needed Defense so badly.
He thought it would be a reach if we took Chassion over Lamb.

- However I do recall the outrage and anger on this very Cowboys board among some members and posts of how dumb they thought Cowboys were for drafting a WR in the 1st round
when we already had Cooper/Gallup on board, and we needed Defense instead.

-To me, the impression i got with Pitts vs Ruggs discussion , it's not about WR vs TE comparison, but more so passing up "Best Available Player" in according to the value of our draft board.

- The reason why Florida TE Kyle Pitts is still persisting to be linked to the Cowboys is because he is considered such a generation TE.
One that his combined skill set, tremendous athleticism and game tape production is just too rare and doesn't come around such as that regularly.

- We've seen very fast TEs such as Vernon Davis, Evan Ingram sub 4.4 like guys, coming into the NFL draft.
.. but were they considered generational coming out of college, and will they be future Hall of Fame TEs ?
Apparently Pitts is supposedly much more polished and refined and a better knack for the passing game than those two TEs.

- But with ZKE, Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Pollard already on the scene,.. how many balls and touches are gonna have to be available if Pitts comes upon the scene ?

o_O

So you do remember.

quickccc

Reaction score
As many threads as with pitts. It was the talk of the draft on here.

I questioned and doubt that.
i recalled the hyped up talk of the Cowboys 2020 draft being LSU edge rusher K' Lavon Chassion ….

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dude your opening post should leave you with little credibility left.
Lol.....you just said you were one of the guys clamoring for ruggs!!!!

You just verified my opening post genius.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Was it because Ruggs as a learning rookie stank ? .. or was it his surrounding cast and way he was schemed underwhelming ?
as he gains game experience and becomes more polished, it will be interesting to see if the technical parts of his game develops at the NFL level.

Some guys as rookies are just more advanced in that area and hit the ground running better vs others.
Lamb, Vikes' Justin Jefferson and Denver's Jerry Jeud were already more refined and skilled in that area,. along with stronger supporting cast and coach-schemed,
so it was a much more easier adjustment than Ruggs.

i believe Rugg was the first WR off the NFL draft board. So he wasn't even a factor for a chance at the Cowboys.
But from all I had heard pre-Draft, the Cowboys only had two WRs in 1st rd consideration: Jerry Jeud and CeeDee Lamb.
Ruggs was never gonna be a Cowboys with that 1st rd selection.
But the sake of Best Available Player discussion, i'll put my 2 cents into thoughts on this.

where you go, scheme, qb is do big for these receivers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lol.....you just said you were one of the guys clamoring for ruggs!!!!

You just verified my opening post genius.

I still like Ruggs.

Pro tip: You don’t get on your high horse about a player not being good after his rookie season. Learn football please.