Remember Ruggs last year?

Johnny23

Reaction score
Just pointing out that these cant miss type prospect often miss. Not sure I really have a point after that. :grin:
I personally believe from what I have seen that the jury's still out on Ruggs. He was used way to much by Gruden as strictly a deep threat. Imho Gruden has done a terrible job adopting to modern passing offense and his guru status is overrated.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I remember it. I posted in some of those threads.

What I (and others) felt at the time was that the way the draft might fall might very well make the BPA a WR.

I posted at the time that every time I went through the first round, it ended up with one of the big 3 WR’s being the BPA (by a mile) at pick 17 (Dallas’ pick). Since Lamb was widely considered to be the best WR available, it was usually either Ruggs or Jeudy sitting there at 17 for Dallas, not the star Sooner. Either one was still likely to be the highest ranked by a long shot.

I remember writing that Lamb will be gone but Ruggs might be there.

So, yeah, you’re right that some people were saying take WR instead of defense. But it wasn’t really specifically Ruggs that they were talking about. It was one of the big 3 WR’s.

As it turns out, that is exactly what actually happened and it was absolutely the right move to make. It is just that nobody expected the one that made it to 17 to be Lamb.

I can see how it can be analogous to having the BPA on offense again this year. If Pitts is there, he undoubtably will be BPA.

And Ruggs can still turn out to be a very good player... he just isn’t in Lamb’s class.
Yes, you remember it exactly right.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I personally believe from what I have seen that the jury's still out on Ruggs. He was used way to much by Gruden as strictly a deep threat. Imho Gruden has done a terrible job adopting to modern passing offense and his guru status is overrated.
Plenty of other receivers taken later that are as good or better. He may turn out but clearly taking him would have been a mistake.