Remember Ruggs last year?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Was it because Ruggs as a learning rookie stank ? .. or was it his surrounding cast and way he was schemed underwhelming ?
as he gains game experience and becomes more polished, it will be interesting to see if the technical parts of his game develops at the NFL level.

Some guys as rookies are just more advanced in that area and hit the ground running better vs others.
Lamb, Vikes' Justin Jefferson and Denver's Jerry Jeud were already more refined and skilled in that area,. along with stronger supporting cast and coach-schemed,
so it was a much more easier adjustment than Ruggs.

i believe Rugg was the first WR off the NFL draft board. So he wasn't even a factor for a chance at the Cowboys.
But from all I had heard pre-Draft, the Cowboys only had two WRs in 1st rd consideration: Jerry Jeud and CeeDee Lamb.
Ruggs was never gonna be a Cowboys with that 1st rd selection.
But the sake of Best Available Player discussion, i'll put my 2 cents into thoughts on this.

:rolleyes:
you tell me . Your the expert.:rolleyes:

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm think that's merely you,..wanting this discussion to be selective on your part.
the talk was Chassion, .not Ruggs.

:muttley:
Yeah well..Chaisson was for sure a hot player the pundits had us taking but others DID also mention Ruggs too. Glad things fell for us the way they did or we would have had one of 2 dudes that were hurt early and had little to no production for their teams. Chaisson was JAG had 12 tackles all year lol...hurt. Ruggs...same thing hurt and little to no production. We are blessed to have gotten Lamb.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would Ruggs have benefitted more in the Cowboys offense than the Raiders? Would Lamb have shown up in the Raiders offense?

If you're going to compare with only one season, at least make it fair. That's like comparing Prescott's rookie season to any other QB, he walked into a sweet set up that 1st round QB's seldom see. Most of the time they throw a ton of picks like Aikman, Manning and Elway did and they turned out OK.

The point is well taken, there are no guarantees with Lawrence or Sewell or Chase or Pitts or Surtain. The safest picks are OL.

As far as Pitts is concerned, he has to get with the right team with the right QB and receiving corps. He had Trask and Toney at FL and Toney is a very underrated WR.

Loso86

Reaction score
I wasn't. WR was way down the list of needs for this team and I still argue a good defensive pick or an OT pick would've helped us a lot more last year than a 3rd WR.
What 1 defensive player at that range would've made that much of a difference?. From what I was hearing it was Chaisson or Diggs for them

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I still like Ruggs.

Pro tip: You don’t get on your high horse about a player not being good after his rookie season. Learn football please.
You are the last person to talk to me about learning football. Or anyone else for that matter.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Ruggs goal was to do one thing and one thing only. He goes deep on every play and forces a double teams. In doing so it allows for a lot of the underneath stuff to their TEs such as Darren Waller and opens up other receivers to get single coverage.

You may not think Ruggs has no effect whatsoever, but he does.

RS12

Reaction score
Welcome to the zone. Where trolls come in all forms.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Ruggs had speed
Pitts has actual skill
He’s about as good a TE prospect as we’ve seen in a long time
But I still wouldn’t draft him because offense is not why this team isn’t good
I'd draft him. Its a whole new ball game with a guy like him. Imagine being up 17 at half time then being down 10. You think the Chiefs defense is good? The only reason they get #s is because they are always up big.

cowboyec

Reaction score
talent trumps need...everytime.
thats how we end up with...
:flagwave:CEEDEE LAMB:flagwave:
i'll take that...ALL DAMN DAY.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
As many threads as with pitts. It was the talk of the draft on here.
I remember it. I posted in some of those threads.

What I (and others) felt at the time was that the way the draft might fall might very well make the BPA a WR.

I posted at the time that every time I went through the first round, it ended up with one of the big 3 WR’s being the BPA (by a mile) at pick 17 (Dallas’ pick). Since Lamb was widely considered to be the best WR available, it was usually either Ruggs or Jeudy sitting there at 17 for Dallas, not the star Sooner. Either one was still likely to be the highest ranked by a long shot.

I remember writing that Lamb will be gone but Ruggs might be there.

So, yeah, you’re right that some people were saying take WR instead of defense. But it wasn’t really specifically Ruggs that they were talking about. It was one of the big 3 WR’s.

As it turns out, that is exactly what actually happened and it was absolutely the right move to make. It is just that nobody expected the one that made it to 17 to be Lamb.

I can see how it can be analogous to having the BPA on offense again this year. If Pitts is there, he undoubtably will be BPA.

And Ruggs can still turn out to be a very good player... he just isn’t in Lamb’s class.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ruggs goal was to do one thing and one thing only. He goes deep on every play and forces a double teams. In doing so it allows for a lot of the underneath stuff to their TEs such as Darren Waller and opens up other receivers to get single coverage.

You may not think Ruggs has no effect whatsoever, but he does.
If all he can do is go deep, he won't have much of an effect.