Repairing the Cowboys

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry
I think in the offseason they have to take a look at the team and consider tearing it down. You have tradable assets like Martin, Cooper, and Dak (tag and trade) that can get you middle to late first round/2nd round draft choices. In two seasons you probably can have a competitive team and in 2021 it will be fun developing the first round quarterback prospect. I would cut Jaylon and Zeke as well and would not hand out big extensions unless Gallup is willing to take a team friendly deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
Offensively, we have a complete team. I would look really hard at drafting Tyron’s replacement if I could. Ideally, you would draft a plug and play OT in the Tyron mold and flip Tyron for picks next year or the year after.

I would also look to add a RB through the later rounds of the draft. That gives you options with Zeke.

Defensively, we have beat that horse the death.

PDXCowboy

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to win in the NFL, but I think the common denominators are you need an elite unit or two and no exploitable areas. 2007 was a well rounded team, but lacking in elite play as Romo wasn't a Jedi yet. By 2014, he was a Jedi and had an historical O line. The offense was Super Bowl worthy, but the defense could hold serve if it was causing turnovers. In all our losses, we couldn't generate more than 1 turnover including the Green Bay game. Eagles defense wasn't great in 2017, but they did have a good pass rush capable of getting a timely stop and they did at the most crucial time. 2016 was just a lesser version of the 2016 team, that again couldn't get a timely stop or turnover when it needed one.

Anyway, we need to build an elite unit or two, I think. I have no candidates. I still don't know if Dak is that kind of thrower or ever will be. Building an O line like we had is probably too difficult, without a transcending O line coach like Callahan and nailing three HOF caliber players in 4 years investment. Having generational talents at WR, TE, or RB doesn't bring Super Bowls. A system/play caller can elevate an offense to elite status, like Reich/Peterson accomplished in 2017, but kind of doubt we have that with Kellen/McCarthy. If we stick with Dak, I think our best bet is trying to develop a top flight defense. Unfortunately, we haven't proven to be very adept at drafting defenders. Might need a defensive HC to fix that trend. Or we move on from Dak and hope to land a elite QB. That would be the easiest path, if only it were guaranteed. Kind of depressing, but we're talking building a Super Bowl contender - which is all I care about. Shouldn't be that hard to be a good team with two more drafts like 2020, and that's good enough for some fans.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Its ownership and the refusal to get real football people to run a football team

Yup and we know that’s never going to happen as long as Jerry is alive so there is no point in talking about fixing the Cowboys.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree with everyone who said it's the owner...because it is. We have not sniffed a shot at a SB since '95. Who has been the GM since then..., Jones.

The dude does not want to win...forget it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you again Jerry
Not sure why people keep blaming Jerry. Due to the circumstances this team had basically very minimal preparation time. No offseason camps, workouts, training camp or preseason. For a new coaching staff, that spells trouble. Add in all the injuries and the 2020 team never had a chance. I fail to see how any of that is Jerry's fault. The bottom line is there were many who picked the Cowboys to be in the super bowl this year and very very high in their power rankings. Their team (when healthy) is that good. The draft class was excellent. There should be another to follow next April with a high 1st round and all the additional picks they have. No reason to think the Cowboys won't be ready to kick butt next fall.

JBond

Reaction score
I am probably in the minority, but I love his aggressive ideas. Bad timing and poor execution are similar, but different topics. We are not vanilla anymore.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Offensively, we have a complete team. I would look really hard at drafting Tyron’s replacement if I could. Ideally, you would draft a plug and play OT in the Tyron mold and flip Tyron for picks next year or the year after.

I would also look to add a RB through the later rounds of the draft. That gives you options with Zeke.

Defensively, we have beat that horse the death.
That was a very good safe response. I feel exactly the same. It’s a touchy situation to play someone’s favorite player

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with everyone who said it's the owner...because it is. We have not sniffed a shot at a SB since '95. Who has been the GM since then..., Jones.

The dude does not want to win...forget it.
No, I think he wants to win. I just don’t think he knows how. He’s got to stop micromanaging

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not sure why people keep blaming Jerry. Due to the circumstances this team had basically very minimal preparation time. No offseason camps, workouts, training camp or preseason. For a new coaching staff, that spells trouble. Add in all the injuries and the 2020 team never had a chance. I fail to see how any of that is Jerry's fault. The bottom line is there were many who picked the Cowboys to be in the super bowl this year and very very high in their power rankings. Their team (when healthy) is that good. The draft class was excellent. There should be another to follow next April with a high 1st round and all the additional picks they have. No reason to think the Cowboys won't be ready to kick butt next fall.
Because it all starts with his micromanaging. He still wants credit put everything that happens with this franchise. I don’t give him the entire blame