Repairing the Cowboys

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry
Repairing the Arlington Jonesboys to the Dallas Cowboys will take brain surgery. Neither Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, or Urban Meyer are not giving up their brains for transplant into Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Head Coach/coaches

- Recovering Injuries … (dak, jarwin ,diggs, tyron, collins, martin, erving, etc.)

- Free agency personnel pans - re-signing Dak, Aldon, Cam Erving, Knight, Bell, ext LVE, expect more bargain vet FA’s

- NFL draft

- Players – plans and designs –
1) per re-conditioned zeke,
2) MM revamp RBs scheme vs run/pass
3) backup QBs (Dalton staying/departing ? Re-sign Gale Gilbert, develop Noochie)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pushover coaches and an enabling owner who wants to be their friend. For the slightly less than professional players out there, all their motivation to try goes out the window once they get that bag because they know they are now untouchable.

Jaylon was called out for sucking by the LB coach, so Jerry fired the LB coach. What kind of message does that send Jaylon.

DLaw is a consummate professional who worked hard to perfect his game and gives maximum effort even when everything else is going wrong.

Cooper is a professional who likewise fully developed his game, and played hurt even back in Oakland without telling the press.

Zack Martin, same thing.

But for a guy like Zeke, who worked hard to develop his game but doesn't like working hard, the total security of getting paid in Dallas gives him every excuse he needs to quit doing it. And Jaylon is out there trying to make hero-ball plays that wouldn't fly in high school, and coaches can't tell him no.

If this team had stones, it would release Zeke and Jaylon this offseason, and show the league that Dallas is no longer just a place to collect an easy paycheck. Ideally McCarthy would be fired too, for a coach who's not afraid to stand up to the team and owner. But that's not how Jerry works, it hasn't been how he works since he switched Jimmy for Switzer back in 1995. He wants a yes-man who is easy on his star players and easy on his ego.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys have drafted 2 DTs with high picks 2nd and 3rd round respectively last 2 years. But maybe you're referring to 1 tech DTs.
While I don't believe in drafting a 1 tech for a 4-3 scheme in the 1st round (as opposed to a pure 3-4 NT) i wouldn't defer away from a dominant run stuffer.in 2nd or 3rd depending
upon their draft grades.

- Talk was we were interested in Bucs' Vita Vea as a 1st rd possibility.
it's hard to gauge what Vita brings as a pass rusher in NFL as Bucs work him in as a 3-4 NT.
i still find the Vita- Cowboys interest for a mammoth DTvs Marinelli's usual "quick twitch " demand.
And if you research the usual trend of the NFL, the 1 tech, 4-3 guys just don't usually get drafted in 1st rounds. But more so 2nd round and on.

Yeh, we don't have a high regard for 1 techs and safeties in either the draft or FA spending.
We got burnt by failure of FA 1 tech Cedric Thorton and that was it from that point on.

- We got burnt on the Ken Hamlin big contract as he became a bust ..and that was it for safeties that point on.
- We never made a move for Chiefs All pro safety Tyranny Mathieu either when Houston Texans left him as a FA.

- we drafted JJ Wilcox in the 3rd rd. but he never panned out either. Xavier Woods was an INT machine in college but has been average in NFL.

- Odd because we were posed to trade for Earl Thomas (who no NFL team signed up after he was cut this year) before Seattle demanded too much .
.and per Stephen, we low balled Earl in FA period, ..and once he signed on with Ravens, that became a mute point.

-Yes we passed up Juan Thornhill in 2nd rd but from what i was beginning to see from Trysten Hill before his knee wrecked him on IR, he was flashing his penetration skills.
That's encouraging and warrants more wait and see, imo. Harder to get quality interior DTs than it is quality safeties.

-Reportedly we were rumored to be in the Jamal Adams trade mix, but Jets wanted too much. Me? i wouldn't do a 1st for a mini-LB because he doesn't affect the entire field
as Steelers Minka Fitzpatrick does. How much is scheme, how much is his limitations, i dunno.
Thornton was a 3 tech. That was us once again playing a player out of position.

They do, and it's easy for them because we ignore the Derek NNadi's and Poona Ford's in the draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry

Micromanaging - Jaylon getting 100% snaps. #ClownTeam

Bad free agent bets. - Poe, McCoy, Dix, Griffen

Injuries to Dak and the oline. Next game, Williams is our best olineman. And playing pretty well, mind you. But he was supposed to be the starter on the bubble, fighting to hold off McGovern for the last spot on the oline. Now Williams and McGovern are our best linemen.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thornton was a 3 tech. That was us once again playing a player out of position.

They do, and it's easy for them because we ignore the Derek NNadi's and Poona Ford's in the draft.

Thorton was signed on to be a 1 tech guy, he was signed on to stop the run .
He was never a pass rusher. Oddly he excelled vs run in then the Eagles 3-4 scheme (pre-Jim Swartz)
but he had all kind of problems figuring out our 4-3 run gap scheme. Even Garrett was scolding him out in camp for not catching on.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thorton was signed on to be a 1 tech guy, he was signed on to stop the run .
He was never a pass rusher. Oddly he excelled vs run in then the Eagles 3-4 scheme (pre-Jim Swartz)
but he had all kind of problems figuring out our 4-3 run gap scheme. Even Garrett was scolding him out in camp for not catching on.
I know, but he was never a 1 tech type. It was us trying to fit the ol' square peg into a round hole, once again.

Stopping the run as a 3-4 DE and playing NT are two entirely different positions. He's 6-4/309. That's not a good build for NT.

Thornton was an incredibly stupid signing for NT. He was the UT when Philly was running a 4-3 for his first two years in the league, then played 3-4 DE. NT? That was beyond dumb.

quickccc

Reaction score
I know, but he was never a 1 tech type. It was us trying to fit the ol' square peg into a round hole, once again.

Stopping the run as a 3-4 DE and playing NT are two entirely different positions. He's 6-4/309. That's not a good build for NT.

Thornton was an incredibly stupid signing for NT. He was the UT when Philly was running a 4-3 for his first two years in the league, then played 3-4 DE. NT? That was beyond dumb.

Thorton was seen as a Marinelli's 1 tech/4-3 type. per Rod Marinelli.
Rod never cared for big body 320 guys. He preferred the 300 lb and less 1 tech types.
He preferred movement over bulk. That's we've had Hayden, McClain, Ash, Paea, Woods, etc. etc.

"Nose tackle" is really not the right term here with the 4-3, it's 1 tech, ..and because of Thorton's run defense work in Philly's then 3-4 scheme, the Cowboys thought
he'd make a Marinelli solid 1 tech signing.
Team signed Thorton based off the preference of the DL coach here. That's what the personnel dept is supposed to do.
The problem was more the DL coach than it was the management team.

BTW, I don't blame management for bringing in Poe as a risk 1 tech. Past pro bowl resume, bulk and strength, and it was a question if he was mis-schemed at Carolina and better
suited for this 4-3 scheme. It was a gamble and a loss. Move on, and move to better plan for the ideal 1 tech.
But I don't want to keep with the same low bargain thought process. 2nd to 4th round high regarded prospect or a well resumed vet that's gonna cost a high price in FA.

o_O

Xeven

Reaction score
Karma. Never be winners till Jerry dead or he puts Jimmy in ROH.