Repairing the Cowboys

StuckMojo

Reaction score
No, that is exactly what you are doing. Its pretty clear it has little at all to do with the offense. Offense is one of the best with Dak and the passing game leading the way. Defense is the issue and has been for a long time. Not sure why this is so tough for some of you guys to analyze what right in front of you. I guess you forgot about all the Romo years with Romo driving us up and down the field and scoring points, only to have to do it again because the defense caved?

Moore has taken the talent that Garrett had and the drab boring offense with Zeke leading the way and turned it into a high octane, big play, high scoring machine. And this has been during the last two years as the Oline has been getting worse.
Much better team with a balanced offense. It keeps defense off the field. Sorry you can’t see that.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
1. Go to Doc Browns house
2. Borrow the Delorean, tell him it’s for a good cause
3. Travel back in time to 1989
4. Kidnap Jerry before he can put in an offer on the Cowboys
5. Release after sale
6. Get into Delorean and travel back to present day

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Much better team with a balanced offense. It keeps defense off the field. Sorry you can’t see that.

So your solution to a bad defense is to run the ball? LOL

How about we fix the defense?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry
Dumpster fire

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with everyone who said it's the owner...because it is. We have not sniffed a shot at a SB since '95. Who has been the GM since then..., Jones.

The dude does not want to win...forget it.
He absolutely does not. When you know you'll fail but keep doing it your way, you do not want to win.

BHendri5

Reaction score
It’s Jerry doing more than just being the owner and GM, if he would just do only those duties, basic duties and let the HC and Scouting Dept and personnel guy do their job stay out of the locker room we would be very good

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Do you think it’s just injuries, do you think it’s coaching. Do you think it’s general managing micromanaging. I don’t know how to fix this mess. And make no mistake about it we are in a mess. It was the wrong players for the wrong scheme. I’m starting with coaching I can’t stand McCarthy . We’ve had opportunities he’s put us in the wrong position so many times. Thank you again Jerry
well it is a combination of all those, but Coaching has been really bad.
So bad it is the reason dak got hurt, and why the defense was so bad early on. The offense under kellen is way too pass happy. kellen doesnt
understand anything about the run game or the big picture on offense, he may someday, but he was too inexperienced to be made OC.

How to repair cowboys ? lol that is near impossible, only the jones boys can do that, and they are know it all bozo's.
The big contracts for wrong players, and then demanding that the guys they pay big have to play, affects the whole team.

They should fire MM and get another HC and staff, and start over, but they wont, this will go on for years.
So get ready for more we need to watch the tape and get better statements.

Jerry thinks jaylon is the cornerstone of his defense lol, and elliot is the best RB in nfl history, so what can you say to that?? I just shake my head and laugh.
He thinks kellen and MM are great coaches, so what can we as fans do?
Well nothing but lower expectations and keep watching the circus.
Dallas has no champ games or SB's coming in the near future.

And to be fair, the stupidity isnt unique to just the cowboys, I see a lot of stupidity on other teams, like arians in tampa bay is wasting
the chance they had with brady.
Arians is forcing brady into his goofy offense, and arians is calling the plays, and they are
not doing as good as they could be if Bruce installed the NE offense brady won 5 SB's with,
and let tom call his own plays.
If arians had the brains and humility to do that tampa would be
10-2 or 11-1 right now.
It is frustrating for me to watch the tampa games, as it is just so stupid it is almost ....well it is ******** lol......Well the word I used is not allowed lol so it is really really dumb what bruce is doing.
Bruce is a idiot with a big ego, who wants credit more than to win a SB, who does that sound like??

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s Jerry doing more than just being the owner and GM, if he would just do only those duties, basic duties and let the HC and Scouting Dept and personnel guy do their job stay out of the locker room we would be very good
Not really. The GM's job is to put the team together. Jerry has failed miserably at that.

kskboys

Reaction score
well it is a combination of all those, but Coaching has been really bad.
So bad it is the reason dak got hurt, and why the defense was so bad early on. The offense under kellen is way too pass happy. kellen doesnt
understand anything about the run game or the big picture on offense, he may someday, but he was too inexperienced to be made OC.

How to repair cowboys ? lol that is near impossible, only the jones boys can do that, and they are know it all bozo's.
The big contracts for wrong players, and then demanding that the guys they pay big have to play, affects the whole team.

They should fire MM and get another HC and staff, and start over, but they wont, this will go on for years.
So get ready for more we need to watch the tape and get better statements.

Jerry thinks jaylon is the cornerstone of his defense lol, and elliot is the best RB in nfl history, so what can you say to that?? I just shake my head and laugh.
He thinks kellen and MM are great coaches, so what can we as fans do?
Well nothing but lower expectations and keep watching the circus.
Dallas has no champ games or SB's coming in the near future.

And to be fair, the stupidity isnt unique to just the cowboys, I see a lot of stupidity on other teams, like arians in tampa bay is wasting
the chance they had with brady.
Arians is forcing brady into his goofy offense, and arians is calling the plays, and they are
not doing as good as they could be if Bruce installed the NE offense brady won 5 SB's with,
and let tom call his own plays.
If arians had the brains and humility to do that tampa would be
10-2 or 11-1 right now.
It is frustrating for me to watch the tampa games, as it is just so stupid it is almost ....well it is ******** lol......Well the word I used is not allowed lol so it is really really dumb what bruce is doing.
Bruce is a idiot with a big ego, who wants credit more than to win a SB, who does that sound like??
Although I haven't come to a definite conclusion on MM(Still retaining a smidgeon of hope!!!), I agree w/ your post in principle.

Funny thing is, Brady knew that when he went there. Don't miss Brady's arrogance in that cluster in TB. It's like Tom proclaimed "I can TOO run a downfield passing attack!"

Brady's starting to get smacked around on a regular basis now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Although I haven't come to a definite conclusion on MM(Still retaining a smidgeon of hope!!!), I agree w/ your post in principle.

Funny thing is, Brady knew that when he went there. Don't miss Brady's arrogance in that cluster in TB. It's like Tom proclaimed "I can TOO run a downfield passing attack!"

Brady could have run Arians' offense 10 years ago.. MAYBE 5 years ago.. But that 43 year old arm wasn't about to let him thrive throwing the ball down the field for an entire season. It doesn't work that way. Brady probably has the best receiving corps of his entire career down in Tampa.. and is having a middling season with it. That about says it all to me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Well I dont know what tom thought, I think maybe he didnt think it thru very well
and just looked at the talent and the warm weather, and no bellichick. But to have tom run a new offense, with a new team and players except gronk with
no normal off season or TC is just stupid to me, plus he is a older guy now, and much smarter to put him in a position to succeed, which would be
running the offense he has won SB's with lol, it isnt rocket science, it is just simple common sense isnt it?????

Brady could have run Arians' offense 10 years ago.. MAYBE 5 years ago.. But that 43 year old arm wasn't about to let him thrive throwing the ball down the field for an entire season. It doesn't work that way. Brady probably has the best receiving corps of his entire career down in Tampa.. and is having a middling season with it. That about says it all to me.
yeah maybe if he was 10 years younger, but
even still I dont think brady is that type of qb. Arians would do better with a dan jones, or burrows type qb.
And the wr's being talented, doesnt mean much if they run long routes, and no one short to throw too, and they dont read blitzes, they just run the route,
and before they come open brady is being sacked or hit, and throwing it away.
I saw the same issues for years with dak, Dak had no one to throw to with the long routes, and he runs out of time in the pocket.
Unless you have a really good OL and give them TE and RB help blocking , the qb's today just dont have enough time for these long routes the OC's
are dreaming up, and I just wonder how dumb are they when they design these plays, without accounting for the time involved and whether their is a blitz
or not ??

I remember back in the 80's a wr would read a blitz and know to run a quick slant to give his qb a quick target, but coaches today seem to have forgotten
all that lol.
And arians just isnt putting his players in a position to succeed, he is putting square pegs into round holes, and when it doesnt work he blames the players!

I think in spite of arians being a moron, TB will make the playoffs as WC, I predicted that before season, but after watching a few games, I was like well
I dont know now.
right now Andy Reid, who I never liked but had some respect for, is the smartest coach in the league, he in his old age, is being very innovative,
and tries to use his players strengths, not just force them into some offense he thinks is great.
He also has done a good job of building a good coaching staff, and that is why KC is strong in all 3 phases and hard to beat.

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
1. Role the dice with a college head coach (Urban Myer or Lincoln Riley) to take over for McCarthy. JJ won't give up the GM title but give the head coach authority on college drafting. Either coach will come so in-tune with the college talent out there and give this coach final say on drafting.
2. Free up the cap space and let Dak walk, but only if you can be assured of picking Justin Fields or Zach Wilson.
3. Hope that many teams feel a salary cap squeeze due to COVID-19 and let some players hit the market via releases. This improves the talent available via free agency to help plug holes along OL and DL, and DB.
4. Continue the philosophy of BPA in the draft - do not reach to fill needs.
5. Give this a 3 year plan. If you hit a homerun by Fields or Wilson becoming a legit franchise QB, we all reap the benefits. If it doesn't pan out, move on and start over.

Please don't keep the tires stuck in the mud with Mike McCarthy. Its oh so similar to the Garret and Wade Philips eras.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OIP.JHHcA4l2P7V6mGgXFIeD0AHaH-

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
They need to get the OL healthy and then find a bunch of defensive players who can play. It's that simple.

If you get the talent up to where it was in 2014 or 2016 and the team can't advance, then you look at coaching.

cern

Reaction score
Imo, Jerry needs to totally turn over the running of all football operations to Stephen.. coaching hires. Gm hiring as he sees fit. Staff to evaluate personnel and team needs. Jerry remains in charge of team promotion and marketing.

basel90

Reaction score
the talent acquisition has been skewed towards flashy offensive players that are overpaid . The defense has been very spotty . The result is 8-8 and lack of a balanced super bowl capable squad. This has been the issue for 26 year + and it falls on the GM and whoever is evaluating the players. at the end it is the GM and not coaching necessarily.
Do i think Garrett could have won more with the talent , yes , but not enough to reach the super bowl . Talent acquisition and selection is out of whack . Until that is fixed , it is 8-8 average record .

GMO415

Reaction score
1. Go to Doc Browns house
2. Borrow the Delorean, tell him it’s for a good cause
3. Travel back in time to 1989
4. Kidnap Jerry before he can put in an offer on the Cowboys
5. Release after sale
6. Get into Delorean and travel back to present day
Kiss goodbye the three SBs won in the 90s. Thanks.