Replace all the offensive coaches, but keep Garrett?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Why don't you ask the GM? Is it the coach's fault that the GM sank what, 16 million into Ratliff, Spencer and Austin who gave us absolutely nothing? Again, 20-36 talent, 29-27 record. People who act like this is some great team held back by coaching just expose how little they actually watch what's going on.

No, not again. It's entirely bogus to say that Dallas has so little talent when they have a QB better than half the league (at bare minimum) and QB play trumps.

khiladi

Reaction score
I think the simpler explanation is that Garrett's been the coach that stuck around because the organization really likes him. I've never understood the idea that he somehow politicked a HC gig for a few extra years. That just doesn't really happen.

Of course they like him.. Like Jerry likes Lacewell and liked guys like Dave Campo enough to bring them back.

khiladi

Reaction score
I remember the days when Garrett homers use to say the only reason the Cowboys were losing during the days of Wade was culture was soft and the criminals ran the show. When Garrett came on board not a peep about lack if talent. Suddenly, Garrett has been working with a bunch of bums.

Oh don't forget they also says his brilliance would work with Jerry unlike the clown that Wade was. Now Jerry is ruining him.

Comical...

khiladi

Reaction score
Accepting the Landry premise for a second just for argument sake:

For every Landry, there are 1000 other coaches that started off sucking and continued to suck.

Jason Garrett falls in that category, besides the fact he hasn't done anything innovative, you know like invent a flex defense or something.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yeah I don't get this, either. No reason to keep Garrett around. Not when you take away what he is supposed to specialize in and that's offense. What purpose is her serving?

But that's what we do best. Re-arrange the chairs on the Titanic. Jason being a former player on the glory days of the 90s puts him in good with Jerry. He's like his stepson. He's going to do everything he can to keep him around. He does not want to fire him at all. If it was an outsider, he would have been fired after last year.

But I am glad they did not extend him. It's put up or shut up time this season.

khiladi

Reaction score
I mean as a Cowboys fan, Garrett homers have gone so far as to insult the great Tom Landry by making comparisons of Garrett to him... Landry was winning SB as an assistant coach, alongside Vince Lombardi before becoming HC of the Cowboys. JG was a QB coach for Joey Harrington and a wily veteran who had way more playing experience then our resident clown Garrett on a crappy Dolphins team that did nothing.

Just stop insulting my man Tom Landry for Opie.

khiladi

Reaction score
And let's clarify something here. Jason Garrett was not part of the glory 90s team. That team was already a SB champion when Father Garrett got his son aboard from the Arena league to ride the pine on that team. There are far greater average players on that team that deserve way more props then this clown. He was more part if experiencing the fall of the Cowboys then anything else.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they like him.. Like Jerry likes Lacewell and liked guys like Dave Campo enough to bring them back.

The point is, them liking him is the reason he's remained while other coaches below him have not.

khiladi

Reaction score
The point is, them liking him is the reason he's remained while other coaches below him have not.

The point it, liking has little to do with football and results. Jerry and Jimmy obviously didn't get along. Harbaugh and the 49ers GM don't like each other.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point it, liking has little to do with football and results. Jerry and Jimmy obviously didn't get along. Harbaugh and the 49ers GM don't like each other.

Perhaps. But that wasn't the point I responded to.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
If wanna pretend those coaches were great in they're first three years then put on your dress and have a tea party while your at it. If you think Tom Coughlin was great because he backed into the playoffs with a 9-7 record with the Jags then you must think Garrett is pretty close to beeing great with his 8-8 record, Please have fun diggin through the history of the NFL to prove Garrett sucks. They won just as many SB games as Garrett in they're first 3 years and their over all record aint from squat. But please enjoy yourself braggin about a coach that made the playoffs with a 9-7 record with 2 different teams while you talkin junk about one that hasn't made it yet with an 8-8 record.

Do you even know the lineage behind Belichick or Coughlin? They were much better coaches who had a long history of learning from the best in the business. You look pretty silly after I showed you an AFC Championship game and an 11-5 record with the factory of sadness and you are still trying to justify the garbage you spilled on to the forum. LOL. At least you gave up disgracing the good name of Tom Landry trying to justify keeping clownshoes around.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
No, not again. It's entirely bogus to say that Dallas has so little talent when they have a QB better than half the league (at bare minimum) and QB play trumps.

Is this supposed to make sense? He's one player. I'm embarrassed for you that you think that when you turn on your TV and see Hayden, Heath and Webb on your screen, that you're seeing talent. Stop.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Is this supposed to make sense? He's one player. I'm embarrassed for you that you think that when you turn on your TV and see Hayden, Heath and Webb on your screen, that you're seeing talent. Stop.

You don't compete in the nfl without a QB. It's as simple as that. Any team that has a QB isn't a 5 or 6 win team.

The entire league has talent issues to one degree or another. Some more, some less.

Regardless of what holes the team has, they have a QB. Other teams also have holes and don't have the QB.

You're basically saying that Garrett's presence alone has earned Dallas 2-3 extra wins per year. You should be embarrassed for thinking that.

OhSnap

Reaction score
Do you even know the lineage behind Belichick or Coughlin? They were much better coaches who had a long history of learning from the best in the business. You look pretty silly after I showed you an AFC Championship game and an 11-5 record with the factory of sadness and you are still trying to justify the garbage you spilled on to the forum. LOL. At least you gave up disgracing the good name of Tom Landry trying to justify keeping clownshoes around.

Factory of sadness is would be a great name for someone that wants to constantly trash their football team and can't say anything good ever because they're devoted to never liking anything the owner does. For all of Billichicks great lineage he still didnt win more than 7 games before his 4th year and he had a loosing record in 5 of his first 6 years, If he had been a Cowboy coach at that time you woulda been calling him clown hoodie after year 3 or something real clever. Nobody is disgracing Tom Landry it's just a fact that he didn't have a great first 3 years but that is obviously not a good indicator of how good or bad a coach can or will be unless your name is Garrett.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All new coaches?

Someone is going to have to explain how the teflon don did it again. We've replaced essentially every offensive coach since Garrett has been here, yet somehow he managed to stick around.

Callahan was brought in to replace Houck and coach the offensive line, he was supposed to take away play calling last year, but we'll never know exactly how that worked out. Frank Pollack took over last year as the assistant oline coach.

Last year we brought in Gary Brown to be our running backs coach and Derek Dooley to be our WRs coach. This year we brought in Mike Pope to be our Tight Ends coach. The only offensive coach who hasn't been touched has been Wade Wilson. So, I have to wonder how Garrett has survived by blaming every offensive coach here and firing them, except himself...

Jerry Jones is creating a huge mess

And finally we bring in Scott Linehan to be the passing game coordinator? A title that I've always been immensely confused about. Might be the most ridiculous title I've ever heard.

So Callahan is still the offensive coordinator, but Linehan is the passing game coordinator.... whose offensive system we're supposedly installing (as opposed to Callahan's) and who is supposedly going to be able to call plays... but what he isn't coordinating the running game?

Ultimately I blame Garrett, but it seems like we can't bring anyone in properly because they would installing make Garrett's position here moot, as if he can't claim credit for the offense, and he clearly can't claim credit for the defense, he simply shouldn't be here. So instead of letting one person truly claim credit for the offense you split it up credit up to spare his feelings? I heard a rumor, that seems plausible that if Garrett is let go midseason, Callahan would take over as head coach, but to me that you would need to hedge yourself, means you should have replaced Garrett last year, and if you want Callahan to be head coach make him head coach from the get go (but obviously that isn't the intention either).

Scott Linehan gives this team hope.

Despite all this nonsense, as I've said in the past, I am genuinely interested in what Linehan can do here. And perhaps Jerry has realized the hole he has dug and is trying to dig himself out without making the hole much larger. In that the Linehan hire is one of his smartest moves, and most logical choices.

Linehan's system shouldn't be a huge departure for our players, but it should bring something new, and something more aggressive. That's a huge plus for Romo and Dez.

I read a Cover32 article suggesting that we would use more play-action, which I'm pleased to hear, especially if that includes more roll outs. I hope that also means that we will try to establish the run even slightly better than we did last year and the year before.

His comments when he was starting out in Detroit:

“We want an offense that people fear. One people know that attacks. One where they know they can never be comfortable for one play.” He continued, “Put something on the field that says those guys on every play give you intensity and fire. And when you do that, a group of individuals becomes a team. And that comes with players who like to give their all.”

I'm excited because this is what was ultimately missing in our offensive style the last few years, and something Detroit has certainly been known for. Not only did he have a lot to do with properly using Megatron, but Randy Moss as well. Dez Should be very excited to be featured in Linehan's system. Escobar should also be able to benefit greatly. I think Murray and Dunbar stand a great chance as well.

I think we should have moved on from Garrett, but within this joke of a decision to keep him, I think the Linehan hire makes the most sense, given what we are on offense. You don't want to try and bring your franchise veteran QB into a new system. The biggest question I have is how we will marry Linehan's system to Callahan's blocking scheme, and whether that will be an issue or not. Hopefully they can collaborate properly.

Veteran Wide Receiver

Linehan actually has a pretty deep history with Burleson. He coached him not only in Detroit, but in Minnesota as well. One of the biggest knocks on Burleson has been his inability to stay healthy, but when healthy he certainly gives you a nice veteran option. And I've always felt that you can never have enough experienced wide receivers available, but I don't really want to stunt the growth of the receivers here. Burleson is primarily a slot guy, and we have enough of those. I think Williams starts on the outside, and when we go three deep, Beasley should be on the field. I think we do need to get another outside receiver, though not necessarily early in the draft. We shouldn't forget that this team is still a 2 tight end team, and those tight ends give us the requisite height advantage that we need.

Backup QB

What makes me think we have less interest in Burleson at the moment is that we signed Wheddon and not Shaun Hill.. Hill is significantly older than Wheddon, and perhaps that isn't what they were looking for, but I would have thought bringing in Hill would have really helped progress things with our other players by having a QB who knew the system and exactly what Linehan wanted. Clearly isn't what they're looking for right now.

you are way over evaluating this. I don't garrett is that smart to pull strings like he is. a lot goes to Jerry the GM. for example the Callahan to OC was purely a Jerry move, Garrett opposed it and its well written about last year with a final meeting in Jerry's airplane....which later didn't work out and garrett took over and brushed it as an organizational change to make things more efficient (to satisfy the media pundits). now, jerry doesn't want to admit so he is leaving Callahan with his title, reduced responsibility. Linehan is a garrett recommended hire, because of their past relationship and as much as garrett may have wanted to give him title of OC, with Callahan there, he couldn't. Jerry is the cause of a lot of this mess.

Houck was also a jerry move, because he signed a bunch of crap told houck to make them into great football players and when he couldn't he assumed its the coaches fault for not turning his shiit to filet mignon. so he brough Callahan in to fix it and that's where Callahan succeeded and should have stayed. when he focused back on the OL, our running game got much better as opposed to when he was the OC.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Well you know if Coughlin made the playoffs with his 9-7 record it must mean Garrett sucks with his 8-8 record. You know how important that 1 game is right?

Yeah. Supporters cling to the 29-27 record as >.500. It was due to the first interim year 5-3 and beating the eagles ( who rested everyone the last week) with Stephen macghee.

Also the last game of each of the last three seasons were pretty dang important . 9-7 >>>>>>>>8-8. All games matter

50cent

Reaction score
Garrett and Romo needed to be divorced offensively 3 years ago and that should have applied to Wade Wilson as well. Get them away from our QBs.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All new coaches?

Someone is going to have to explain how the teflon don did it again. We've replaced essentially every offensive coach since Garrett has been here, yet somehow he managed to stick around.

Callahan was brought in to replace Houck and coach the offensive line, he was supposed to take away play calling last year, but we'll never know exactly how that worked out. Frank Pollack took over last year as the assistant oline coach.

Last year we brought in Gary Brown to be our running backs coach and Derek Dooley to be our WRs coach. This year we brought in Mike Pope to be our Tight Ends coach. The only offensive coach who hasn't been touched has been Wade Wilson. So, I have to wonder how Garrett has survived by blaming every offensive coach here and firing them, except himself...

Jerry Jones is creating a huge mess

And finally we bring in Scott Linehan to be the passing game coordinator? A title that I've always been immensely confused about. Might be the most ridiculous title I've ever heard.

So Callahan is still the offensive coordinator, but Linehan is the passing game coordinator.... whose offensive system we're supposedly installing (as opposed to Callahan's) and who is supposedly going to be able to call plays... but what he isn't coordinating the running game?

Ultimately I blame Garrett, but it seems like we can't bring anyone in properly because they would installing make Garrett's position here moot, as if he can't claim credit for the offense, and he clearly can't claim credit for the defense, he simply shouldn't be here. So instead of letting one person truly claim credit for the offense you split it up credit up to spare his feelings? I heard a rumor, that seems plausible that if Garrett is let go midseason, Callahan would take over as head coach, but to me that you would need to hedge yourself, means you should have replaced Garrett last year, and if you want Callahan to be head coach make him head coach from the get go (but obviously that isn't the intention either).

Scott Linehan gives this team hope.

Despite all this nonsense, as I've said in the past, I am genuinely interested in what Linehan can do here. And perhaps Jerry has realized the hole he has dug and is trying to dig himself out without making the hole much larger. In that the Linehan hire is one of his smartest moves, and most logical choices.

Linehan's system shouldn't be a huge departure for our players, but it should bring something new, and something more aggressive. That's a huge plus for Romo and Dez.

I read a Cover32 article suggesting that we would use more play-action, which I'm pleased to hear, especially if that includes more roll outs. I hope that also means that we will try to establish the run even slightly better than we did last year and the year before.

His comments when he was starting out in Detroit:

“We want an offense that people fear. One people know that attacks. One where they know they can never be comfortable for one play.” He continued, “Put something on the field that says those guys on every play give you intensity and fire. And when you do that, a group of individuals becomes a team. And that comes with players who like to give their all.”

I'm excited because this is what was ultimately missing in our offensive style the last few years, and something Detroit has certainly been known for. Not only did he have a lot to do with properly using Megatron, but Randy Moss as well. Dez Should be very excited to be featured in Linehan's system. Escobar should also be able to benefit greatly. I think Murray and Dunbar stand a great chance as well.

I think we should have moved on from Garrett, but within this joke of a decision to keep him, I think the Linehan hire makes the most sense, given what we are on offense. You don't want to try and bring your franchise veteran QB into a new system. The biggest question I have is how we will marry Linehan's system to Callahan's blocking scheme, and whether that will be an issue or not. Hopefully they can collaborate properly.

Veteran Wide Receiver

Linehan actually has a pretty deep history with Burleson. He coached him not only in Detroit, but in Minnesota as well. One of the biggest knocks on Burleson has been his inability to stay healthy, but when healthy he certainly gives you a nice veteran option. And I've always felt that you can never have enough experienced wide receivers available, but I don't really want to stunt the growth of the receivers here. Burleson is primarily a slot guy, and we have enough of those. I think Williams starts on the outside, and when we go three deep, Beasley should be on the field. I think we do need to get another outside receiver, though not necessarily early in the draft. We shouldn't forget that this team is still a 2 tight end team, and those tight ends give us the requisite height advantage that we need.

Backup QB

What makes me think we have less interest in Burleson at the moment is that we signed Wheddon and not Shaun Hill.. Hill is significantly older than Wheddon, and perhaps that isn't what they were looking for, but I would have thought bringing in Hill would have really helped progress things with our other players by having a QB who knew the system and exactly what Linehan wanted. Clearly isn't what they're looking for right now.

I think you are really missing the point.

Its not about Garrett.

Its about Tony Romo.

Jerrah is married to Tony,not Garrett.

Therefore..

Tony will get all the coach's needed to help Garrett win and Tony to prove Jerrah right about his GM decision to bankroll Romo.

He's not going to be wrong here.

So we..

wait.